AuthorTopic: Need help comprehending Iso  (Read 4303 times)

Offline Ultimaodin

• Unknown Artistry
    • View Profile

Need help comprehending Iso

on: May 18, 2010, 12:47:24 pm
Ok so I'm dabbling in Isometric for the first time for pj's weekly challenge. Anyway angles and curves seem to be confusing the heck out of.
Anyway it's probably something really simple that I'm simply just missing but it's defying me completely.

Anyway:

What I'm trying to do is point the bottom  and I just can't get the right side to look like the left.
Anyone able to help out. (ps I'm also going to use this as AA practice so ignore the straightness.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Need help comprehending Iso

Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 01:44:27 pm
The proper construction techniques are fascinating...but time consuming and take a long time to learn and not always accurate.

If you get plain old stuck on a form, the best thing to do is to draw it on a regular square and then skew the drawing in photoshop (26.5) or (26.6) or in MSPaint (26) or (27).

I'd help you out with drawing this but I don't know what you're trying to accomplish..."point the bottom" isn't very specific and doesn't look like what you're doing so I wouldn't know where to begin.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 05:30:36 pm
I don't have a clue what you want, but I roughly understand you want to copy the left side to the right. So, I went into GraphicsGale, copied the left side (CTRL-C), pasted it on the right (CTRL-V), connected the lines. 2 seconds of work, but if it helps you somehow, here it is.

Offline Ultimaodin

• Unknown Artistry
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 11:29:09 pm
Argh right should have been more specific. I meant to be pointed like a boat and it the left right to be like this:

Right now th right side is far more curved and more steep in my eye. Even though I counted the number of pixels left and right etc...

This may be a rather pathetic gripe but if I can learn angling of isometric properly to begin with then it should make the rest slightly easier.

(at least that's the view I get.

Thanks gil and ndchristie and sorry I wasn't too in-depth. -_-

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 04:18:31 am
You do it just like ndchristie said - draw it in higher res, flat orthographically, then apply certain skewing distortion. It's iso, so there's no perspective diminishing to worry about.

Offline Ultimaodin

• Unknown Artistry
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 05:49:08 am
Thank you very much, I was hoping there was some logical explanation to understanding lines and curves in isometric that would help me out in the long run.
I tried that method and it still looked odd so I settled for something in between. Suppose I probably shouldn't be aiming for perfect at such a novice level.
Oh well, off to keep practicing. Thank you all again! :)

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 06:02:28 am
Isometric perspective is orthographic after all so all curves and things placed at an angle will always look weird if you stare at it for too long. I've been making iso houses for a game concept and the roofs always look kooky. Even if I follow the rules everything looks completely weird if I look at it closely. On the other hand, if I just leave it and view it as part of the big picture, it'll feel just fine.

Just a tip is, don't strive for a feeling of absolute perfection - with iso it's more that if you follow the rules of the perspective you can be happy with yourself. Strive for knowing that you did it perfect, because in iso, even perfect looks weird to the human eye.
' _ '