AuthorTopic: [WIP] Game Character  (Read 2675 times)

Offline Devon

• View Profile

[WIP] Game Character

on: May 21, 2010, 12:31:22 am
Hello everyone, this is my first post on Pixelation. I'm in the process of making a character for a side-project I'm working on.

Sketch(It's huge so I added a direct link)
First attempt:

Current:

I haven't figured out how I'm going to shade the hair yet.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Re: [WIP] Game Character

Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 05:33:30 am
Hi Devon, welcome to Pixelation :).

What is the intended age of the subject? The head is very large and the legs quite small, which matches more the proportions of a young child than an adolescent or adult. Study some anatomical proportions (can find some in the Tools, Resources and Linkage Thread ). Gender is also ambiguous, again lending to a childish impression.

Think carefully about the pose. What you have is suitable for an NPC or otherwise minor character, but unsuitable for a main character. The casual nature of it and the pocketted hands imply a character not heavily involved in whatever events are transpiring. They look more like they're waiting around (hence NPC).

The shading is altogether flat, particularly the face and torso. The use of raw white for the lines on the jacket contributes significantly to this flatness. Shadow applies to white things just the same as anything else!

As for the face, eyes are too close together, jawline nearest us seems extremely narrow. Your shading is creating banding on the cheek and forehead.

The shading on the legs is creating noise. If you're trying to depict wrinkling of the material, there are general patterns/physical laws that determine where wrinkles appear, their length and direction. The general rule is, wrinkles form whereever the material bunches up (groin, knees, ankles) and run parallel to the direction of the force pushing the material in to a bunch (for groin its the legs pushing inward, for knees its their bending, for the ankles its gravity). That's a very brief run down of material and drapery, it can become very elaborate and complex, from what I understand.

Offline Devon

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Game Character

Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 10:48:10 am
Hi Devon, welcome to Pixelation :).

What is the intended age of the subject? The head is very large and the legs quite small, which matches more the proportions of a young child than an adolescent or adult. Study some anatomical proportions (can find some in the Tools, Resources and Linkage Thread ). Gender is also ambiguous, again lending to a childish impression.

Think carefully about the pose. What you have is suitable for an NPC or otherwise minor character, but unsuitable for a main character. The casual nature of it and the pocketted hands imply a character not heavily involved in whatever events are transpiring. They look more like they're waiting around (hence NPC).

The shading is altogether flat, particularly the face and torso. The use of raw white for the lines on the jacket contributes significantly to this flatness. Shadow applies to white things just the same as anything else!

As for the face, eyes are too close together, jawline nearest us seems extremely narrow. Your shading is creating banding on the cheek and forehead.

The shading on the legs is creating noise. If you're trying to depict wrinkling of the material, there are general patterns/physical laws that determine where wrinkles appear, their length and direction. The general rule is, wrinkles form whereever the material bunches up (groin, knees, ankles) and run parallel to the direction of the force pushing the material in to a bunch (for groin its the legs pushing inward, for knees its their bending, for the ankles its gravity). That's a very brief run down of material and drapery, it can become very elaborate and complex, from what I understand.

I fell asleep after I posted last night so I just now made some changes. He's 17, by the way. Lol I failed to show that. I took out the shading on the pants and I'll get to that in a bit(Breakfast time). The legs are a bit longer and head a tad bit smaller, though it's still not quite right from looking at this http://figure-drawings.com/How-to-Draw-Proportions-2.html