AuthorTopic: [WIP] Beach and Robo-kid  (Read 4489 times)

Offline The 7th Sin

• View Profile

[WIP] Beach and Robo-kid

on: May 14, 2010, 09:42:12 pm
Hello everyone,

I'll just dive right in and get straight to the point. :)

My first piece is a little robot man, I have done some work on him, but am having trouble getting the highlights and shadows right.
I would appreciate any assistance or direction for this little guy.
(I'll just note I am trying to create a "backlit" effect)

Original:
Updated:

My second piece is a beach scene.

I have worked on this quite a bit and gotten the main ideas of the piece relatively well hammered out, there are just a few points I would like some suggestions on.
1. The clouds, I have worked on them quite a bit, and just wondered what some real pixelers had to say about my technique.
2. The beach itself, I made some dunes to create interest, and not just a bland surface; and I wondered if you guys might have some suggestions or techniques to create more of a "sandy" look to the terrain.

Of course if there is something you see, but I have not mentioned, feel free and make comment of it! ;)

Thanks,
The 7th Sin
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 04:00:55 pm by The 7th Sin »

Offline Ultimaodin

• Unknown Artistry
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Beach and Robo-kid

Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 06:34:23 am
I'm not a real (good) pixeler but from what I've seen water doesn't create perfect lines of a gradient like yours does. I don't usually see water getting brighter as it gets further away, however this is probably a stylistic choice, however I'd try and change the shape you gradiate (sorry no real word springs to mind) the water to a something similar to the beach as the water does look like it fits into your scene.

As for the clouds, I'm not very good at them myself, I tend to go the random scribble route then cleen-up to be honest however I think you should try ditching the outline. and attempt some sort of reflection upon the water so they too feel like the fit the scene. Also note clouds are still affected by the light source so try and keep the white sections more to the left so the fit with he sand dunes. As for the sand create some smaller dune like shapes with out the outline and keep with the dither, as I find dithering suits sand. Some blank solid space however is good to keep so don't just dither the whole beach.

Hopefully others will be more helpful to yah! ;D

Offline The 7th Sin

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 01:26:16 pm
Well thanks Ultimaodin, I do appreciate your help a lot! :D
I'll try and post an update soon.

Offline The 7th Sin

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 05:30:52 pm
Update on the little robot guy.

I tried to soften the image by removing the harsh black outline and an overall lightening of the gray-black colours.

As always C+C is welcome! ^_^

Offline adcrusher524

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 11:15:13 pm
here I made an edit on the robot dude.

hope you can learn from it.

Offline The 7th Sin

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 12:38:56 pm
Thank you very much Adcrusher actually having a demonstrated piece of art makes the process of revision a little bit easier. ;)
I'll try and get around to posting another progression sometime soon.

Offline The 7th Sin

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 04:06:10 pm
Updated version:

Changes this update:
I worked on putting some crinkles in his jeans, I think they turned out pretty well.
I put some detail on shoes, I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on how to portray the shadows on the shoes? :)
I also wondered if anyone had any ideas on how to make the outlines on the dark parts of his arm a little less harsh. ;)

Of course if you see something that I haven't mentioned, but you think could be changed, just feel free and say so!

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
The 7th Sin