AuthorTopic: (WIP) GOOSE  (Read 14907 times)

Offline MadHatter

• im nipples the enchilada
    • View Profile

Re: (WIP) GOOSE

Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 09:37:06 pm
Its difficult to apply what most of these people said onto this, since this is some anime-hybrid thing, I'm sure. Adding those cheek bones makes it looks a bit to realistic, so I'll stay out of that and let you figure out which you'd like to lean towards yourself.

I personally thought the second guy looked better with more.. normal... skin color. I also think he would look better without those odd pieces of hair on his sides. The eyes look oddly large, even for anime. Also, if you'd like to make the eyes more anime, make them a lot more detailed. 

The first's hair looks incredibly feminine. I think the bandanna and purple shirt don't help. The eyes looked better before, but still need a bit more detail. I thought the bandanna design added more character, when you made it plain it kind of lost some. Again those pointy V things on the side looks ugly, haha.
All in all job well done though.

Offline icarly viewer

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 10:53:04 pm
Wow thanks for all the replies! They are far from being masculine characters, so I don't know about the chiseled faces and thick necks, they are supposed to be young "scene" males. Also, yes they are pretty much anime hybrids. :- ( I don't want them to look realistic if it will sacrifice their androgynous-ness. Thank you every one for the crits on the subject and I know it sounds like I'm basically plugging my ears and shouting "I'M NOT LISTENING I'M NOT LISTENING" but I literally do not see how they can be mistaken for girls. I can see their feminine features, but I don't think a requirement of being male is "HNNNNNNNG LOOK AT ME I CAN BENCH 400 LBS!!!!! HNNNNNNG." I am completely accepting any crits on any subject and I acknowledge that your edits make them look more realistic and like "men," but these are portraits for an RPG I am making and really they are just supposed to be young males (hurf hurf I know all RPGs are are just young males running around).

I hope you guys understand and don't think I'm trying to like backpedal or ignoring you or w/e they call it these days, but I really want help on shading the hair/faces without sacraficing style or their "hey look I'm a 19 year old scene kid" look.

As for the bandanna, the designs aren't completely out of the picture. :P They can always be added back in but I took them out so I didn't have to worry about 2 different colors while I was shading it.

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 10:58:44 pm
I like the bandanna idea. Maybe you could use it for more though? This is supposed to be scene soooooo
I would suggest you use the bandanna at the back of the head, kind of as a help to spike it. On the subject, scene hair is usually spiked from the back, and straightened from the front.

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 11:01:25 pm
except that there is literally an endless amount of "scene" hairstyles

and what you described is not one of them
emo != scene

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 11:02:44 pm
well yah
but the average scene hair is like that

and yes it was
and its not emo either
-------------------------------------------------------------
back on topic
the hair still looks kind of like a woman's. Like a lot of it..

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: May 14, 2010, 04:58:56 pm
Wow thanks for all the replies! They are far from being masculine characters, so I don't know about the chiseled faces and thick necks, they are supposed to be young "scene" males. Also, yes they are pretty much anime hybrids. :- ( I don't want them to look realistic if it will sacrifice their androgynous-ness. Thank you every one for the crits on the subject and I know it sounds like I'm basically plugging my ears and shouting "I'M NOT LISTENING I'M NOT LISTENING" but I literally do not see how they can be mistaken for girls. I can see their feminine features, but I don't think a requirement of being male is "HNNNNNNNG LOOK AT ME I CAN BENCH 400 LBS!!!!! HNNNNNNG." I am completely accepting any crits on any subject and I acknowledge that your edits make them look more realistic and like "men," but these are portraits for an RPG I am making and really they are just supposed to be young males (hurf hurf I know all RPGs are are just young males running around).

I hope you guys understand and don't think I'm trying to like backpedal or ignoring you or w/e they call it these days, but I really want help on shading the hair/faces without sacraficing style or their "hey look I'm a 19 year old scene kid" look.

As for the bandanna, the designs aren't completely out of the picture. :P They can always be added back in but I took them out so I didn't have to worry about 2 different colors while I was shading it.

I don't believe that you're ignoring crits just to ignore them, but I believe the fact that it's YOUR art of YOUR character that you have designed as a male in your head you won't see it as any different- but the visual you are putting forth to us has distinctly female features. in the scale of manly man to androgyny to female, your portraits only extend from androgyny to female and we have no other context ( game etc) to make us think otherwise.
Of course, your pixels are nice, and people complain about androgyny in rpg's all the time so theres no point in us harping on you.

Offline Accident

• Someone call the ambulance!
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 07:20:16 pm
Hey you. You there.
I like you. :'D

If all RPGs had dem good looking boys, I'd consider myself an official paedophile, lul.
All in all, I love your colour sense. I love your style. your boys look like they got a story to tell.

All this talk about masculinity.
Sure, your men are good-looking. However, even dem good-looking men have some angles.

Here, look at the ear, the nose, the mouth, the neck, the eyes, the face. I tried to add some angles, refine some things, without running out of its integrity.
goddamn it I love that mouth.

Offline icarly viewer

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: May 15, 2010, 10:59:29 pm
Thanks Ryu for understanding and thank you a lot Accident. :- )

here's my attempt at adding angles + a lil more hair shading

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 11:16:03 pm
His eyes seem kind of...emotionless...?
I don't know how to put it.. do you get what I mean?

Offline icarly viewer

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: May 16, 2010, 05:01:36 am
yeah, they look glazed over. i like it though, adds more lifelessness to his eyes :- )