AuthorTopic: (WIP) GOOSE  (Read 14911 times)

Offline icarly viewer

• View Profile

(WIP) GOOSE

on: May 07, 2010, 03:34:13 am

i dont usually post my artowrk anywhere except for smaller communities or show it to friends but this one has been washed over quite a few times and now im on the final steps and really want it to come out nice

it IS supposed to be hypo-realistic but not anime, sort of a hybrid. if it turns out good enough i'll be using it in my RPG im making and ill make more liek it for the other characters V__V so please help me out, what do you think about it, C+C etc.

mainly what i really want right now is suggestions on how to shade the hair without making it clash

Offline Kyuu

• View Profile

Re: (WIP) GOOSE

Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 09:31:35 am
First glance CC: I think the ear looks to be off. It should be further from his eye (and perhaps obscured by hair?)... Also I think ears are bigger.

This became a very ear-centered post, sorry. It's the only thing that's directly bothering me at this point. xD

Offline knovlt

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 12:38:04 am
First, I love this style.

Okay, maybe it's just me, but the yellow and blue circle seem to be defying gravity. Especially the blue. It kind of looks like the hair is waving.
I'm sure red is just a sloppy outline you were going to correct when you get the basic stuff down. I don't know why I circled it. Just to make sure you didn't miss it I guess.
Great piece; I look forward to seeing the finished product.  :)

Offline MadHatter

• im nipples the enchilada
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 12:06:17 pm
Honestly, you can't really apply gravity to hair. A matter of it being dried like that could cause it to curl up or stand up a bit from the tip. Also, I think that's how he intended it to be. Except maybe for the yellow circle...I don't even.

I think the eyes look a bit too sleep deprived, if you know what I mean. :V
As for the eyes themselves, I don't think I see eyes like that in anime or real life...unless hes fucking possessed...shes? Is it a guy or a girl? I mean, the hair looks more feminine, the ear-ring is seen more on men... idk
 :mean:
I like the colors a lot in this though. Maybe add one more brighter color (closer to white)
and I'm assuming your going to remove the occasional black outline..

Nice job in general.

Offline icarly viewer

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 04:46:19 am

Here's an update, I tried to apply all the crits I've gotten form various forums and this is what popped out. :-) Also a second guy in the works

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 06:18:47 am
Your guys look pretty feminine, man. Especially the second one, thought it was a girl until I read your comment.

Loving the softness of your rendering, though.

Offline icarly viewer

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 04:33:08 pm
I honestly don't see the feminism in them, though everyone keeps saying they look like girls. I'm told it's the lips, but do lips not look like that irl? Anyway, 'nother big update. Need a lot of help on the hair V_V

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 05:56:30 pm
I can't see anything but feminism, I'm afraid. The long hair on the first one, and the girlish pixie cut on the second seem to say it, as well as the big eyes, thin noses, the small smoothly slanting mouths, narrow jaws, pointy chins, small ears, narrow necks, no hard edges, no adam's apple and rounded cheeks. These are pretty much textbook examples of good female portraits! Are you going for the typical androgynous anime look or do you want guys that actually look like guys?

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 08:26:55 pm
My first impression was a young boy. But it could certainly pass for a girl.

If you wanted them to look more masculine you could thicken the necks a bit and make the jawbones a little more pronounced. And maybe make the hair look a little less permed.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 08:43:10 pm
If you want him to actually look like a dude, I have an edit for the one on the right. It's not particularly manly man but its passable. Also fixed some of the skewed facial features that may or may not be for style reasons:

I think these look just fine as ladies.