AuthorTopic: Logo  (Read 7377 times)

Offline talin

• View Profile

Logo

on: May 06, 2010, 06:27:23 pm
Hello!

I am trying to learn how to pixel because I love pixelated art, and it reminds me of the games I used
to play when I was a kid. I've been lurking around here for a while, but I haven't been making a lot of stuff
on my own (it always ends up looking horrible, and I give up). However, I recently made a logo for my webpage
using Inkscape (it's not pixel art), and now I have decided to pixel on top of it. I like its shape very much, but
the bad anti-aliasing is terrible, and it isn't very focused. Here's what I have:

I'm wondering if any of you have some good references/examples to draw inspiration from, and whether you have
some tips for this sort of task. Is it a bad idea to pixel on top of an image?

Thanks in advance!

Offline McClaneGames

• Evan M
    • View Profile
    • NinetySix, Co.

Re: Logo

Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 09:31:45 pm
Not quite sure if this is the right forum for this.

However, many people do trace their lineart from a NPA image.  Check out this topic for a list of tutorials, it should come in handy!

Offline talin

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 01:13:02 pm
I see. Well, I was hoping for inspirational references such as this one:

I'll start working on it and post my progress here as I go along... hopefully
the pixelated letters will look better than the "generated" ones...

Offline had0c

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 04:59:15 pm
that pic is 'scene art" and as you can see you have to emulate 3d for it to look like that with screwed text in most chases.. "more then one side"

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 08:25:57 pm
I'm wondering if any of you have some good references/examples to draw inspiration from, and whether you have

There are probably too many references at an early point such as this, so just go ahead and start pixeling (on top of the image). I'm not sure if you're trying to go old skool or not with this... :)

that pic is 'scene art" and as you can see you have to emulate 3d for it to look like that with screwed text in most chases.. "more then one side"

...which, for as long as it's pixeled, is all totally valid in regards to the practices on this forum.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 08:27:29 pm by JJ Naas »

Offline talin

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 08:55:45 pm
This is how far I've come. I've been using the same colors as the image I posted...

At one point it nearly resembled some mossy rockish texture and then when I tried to do
that on purpose, it ended up looking like molten ice cream.

The only thing I'm happy with is the fact that I got rid of the anti-aliasing.

Cheers!

« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 08:57:23 pm by talin »

Offline had0c

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 07:02:46 am

There are probably too many references at an early point such as this, so just go ahead and start pixeling (on top of the image). I'm not sure if you're trying to go old skool or not with this... :)

...which, for as long as it's pixeled, is all totally valid in regards to the practices on this forum.

where did you see me saying it was not pixelated? i only saw hes pic and that he wanted to make "scene" text and i told him the basic.. when did this become "this is not pixel" flaming?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 04:07:03 am by Helm »

Offline talin

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 09:35:24 am
Trying to make the letters look like ice:

It still looks like molten ice cream though.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 08:49:35 pm
"It still looks like molten ice cream though."

No no, it still looks sort of like ice. Maybe an undershadow wouldn't hurt.

Offline talin

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 03:15:25 pm
I haven't come much further, but I've cleaned the letters up a bit.

Before I continue, I am looking for some feedback on the first letter... it's supposed to look icy.
It doesn't look good enough for me to want to continue doing it to all the other letters.

Any ideas on how I can make it look more shiny and icy? It looks really flat right now!