AuthorTopic: Platformer Project [WIP]  (Read 4330 times)

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Platformer Project [WIP]

on: May 06, 2010, 12:07:44 pm
Working on a little project with a friend. Based around Norse mythology. We've been chatting about old school platform games and old swedish lore. Creating a fun, consistent and semi-realistic style has been a big problem but I think I've got it. Finally.

Things started off... poorly. About a year ago I saw someone make really neat simple characters with very flat volumes. I liked it. I didn't minutes later. Apologies for the background color.

The other day I found a lot of time on my hand so I tried at it one more time.

Got help from someone on the IRC channel (thank you, sorry I forgot who you were/are).

Soon this jig will a run animation. Can anyone direct me to some good run animations to study or maybe some notable in-depth threads in Pixelation? Should I hide the shirt under the jacket? Does the hair read as a mohawk/faux hawk?

Mockup and tiles. 16x16. Any advice or general rules of thumb for constructing tile sets would be more than appreciated. Thank you.

All comments and critiques are heavily appreciated, thank you for taking a look.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 10:12:43 pm by JonathanOfDrain »

Offline Shrub

• Newbie pixel artist.
    • View Profile

Re: Platformer Project [WIP]

Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 01:28:55 pm
Nice one! I've been trying for ages to make good platformer tiles for a project, still failing miserably. This, however, is awesome.
Not sure about the rock under the ground though. Doesn't really add anything, and feels out of place, like it shouldn't be underground.
No crits except for that really. Great insipring stuff here.

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 04:04:19 pm
Remove the grass over the rock. Might look a bit better then.
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 11:39:19 pm
Updated with some slopes I'm struggling with. I've got that (huge) rock in the ground so I could break up the monotony of the ground tiles, is it just too big?

Any tips on making slopes? We've got a 32x16 and a 16x16,

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 04:38:51 pm
The main character has a weird looking pose, arms a bit short on him as well, I'd even prefer the original pose over what we've got now, I just can't see many people standing like that.