AuthorTopic: Some new stuff  (Read 13547 times)

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Some new stuff

Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 10:47:29 pm
Guessing does not = improvement, thats why you've barely gotten anywhere in the past year or so. I think you're still struggling with fundamental concepts, its obvious. Besides edits, you can also do something else, use reference, etc.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 12:31:18 am
The thing is, I want to make it look like a young lady while still keeping it appropriate. (if you know what i mean).

I can just imagine the question: 'Hey, what are doing staring at that one area for so long?'
Me: 'Uh, trying to get it right?'
Them: 'Uh huh, sure.'

Are you talking about boobs? You're 27 right? Don't worry about it, if you let that hold you back you'll never get a chance to practice right? If you're afraid of other people seeing you checking out references then just try and find some privacy. At any rate at that scale you probably won't need that much reference.

If i'm completely off topic and using my wild imagination then please excuse me.  :crazy:

Show us the sprite you're trying to make look like a young lady and we'll be able to help you from there.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 01:01:18 am

I'd post some refs but I think the list would be too long.*

I found some Metal Slug+Megaman concept art and went from there. Plus some stuff I tredged up from the forums here.

I think the doing something with the eyes helped alot.

Anything else you see?

*Some concept game refs below.
http://www.themmnetwork.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=30&pos=72
http://www.themmnetwork.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=30&pos=103
http://www.themmnetwork.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=30&pos=56
http://images.mslugdb.com/ms/others/061.html
http://images.mslugdb.com/ms/others/039.html

Though not knowing what to look for certainly doesn't help.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 01:59:44 am by xhunterko »

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 02:18:09 am

Her skin colour as well as the shape of her head makes her very E.T.-esque. I'd suggest giving her pinker skin (closer to pink, not actually pink) and making the face less wide. Her shoulders should taper up to her neck, her neck should not just sprout from her torso suddenly. Her shoulders are very wide, typically women's shoulders are less wide than mens, so making this less of a feature will help. Her hips are very thin, women's hips are wider than mens (think childbearing) so giving her some hips will also help with the femininity. That will be a good start I think, good luck.  :y:

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 12:30:49 am

Hopefully I was able to get some of lawrick's suggestions across.

Now I don't know where to go yet with shading. Hmm.

What do you think?

Legs don't look like they match to me. They look too wide, I think.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 02:10:23 am

Added shading after some confusion on irc.

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 10:13:59 am
Her head is shaped like a funnel, her hair is like a rug glued to the funnel. I've honestly seen you progress very little from when you first came here. Start looking at your work objectively. Start taking the time needed to make one thing look good. Stop drawing people the same height in the same pose over and over and over again. Start paying attention to your lines, two forty five degree lines do not look good as a waist. Start paying attention to the structure of the eye, 4 black pixels and a blue pixel do not look good. Start paying attention to the structure of the head and the body (limbs should be the same girth and length, heads are kind of egg shaped). Stop relying on lines to define everything. Start experimenting with colors, use the HSL sliders.

It's a myth that simply practicing something will make you better. Only effortful  practice will make you better. To effortfully study something, you need to identify how to improve and peruse it. Start doing this.

Offline Reo

• aka MechaBarbarian
    • MechaBarbarian
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11318.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 12:13:35 pm
Remember what's been said in other threads, you rely too heavily on outlines to convey details, and that isn't a terribly good idea when you're working this small.

Other than that they both have pretty outlandish skintones, and since the guys legs are roughly the same colors as his skintone it apears a he doesn't have any pants.

I did an edit of the girl:

Her hair is very stiff, like it's one big object, I thougth it was some sort of bandana in your previous verisons.

The way I did the eyes is just one  way of showing the viewer that this is a female sprite.

I don't know if you care for colorsaving, but I cut them down from 21 to 16.

And as I stessed before, outlines often just mess up when you're working this small instead you should use highlights and shadows to show form.

You're maing progress though that is evident!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 06:28:36 pm by Reo »

Offline zez

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 09:28:55 pm
so umm, as a 24 year old man who has done a great deal of staring at tits (er, research, yes... research, thats what I was diong...) I think yours would benefit from some gravity. Boobs tend to hang down a little bit and form more of a teardrop shape, as opposed to just being flat at the top and bottom. Obviously you dont want to go overboard with it, or you will end up with sagging D cups, but give them some sort of downwards slope. Also, this is less a direct breast comment, but applies pretty well. Things closer to the viewer tend to be larger, your posture suggests (for the most part) that the backside of the characters are slightly closer to the viewer, but the features dont reflect this (the best example I can find, is in your previous female, this one --> where her nearest breast is actually smaller then the furthest.)
Anyhow, take this with a grain of salt, my pixel skills are sub-par at best, but I figured it could help out.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 11:25:29 pm
"so umm, as a 24 year old man who has done a great deal of staring at tits"

//// Absolutely NOT! I'm 27, not 24. Sarcasm aside, one of the things I was worried about was the view. Thanks for that, and the other tiips.

"Her head is shaped like a funnel, her hair is like a rug glued to the funnel. I've honestly seen you progress very little from when you first came here. Start looking at your work objectively. Start taking the time needed to make one thing look good. Stop drawing people the same height in the same pose over and over and over again. Start paying attention to your lines, two forty five degree lines do not look good as a waist. Start paying attention to the structure of the eye, 4 black pixels and a blue pixel do not look good. Start paying attention to the structure of the head and the body (limbs should be the same girth and length, heads are kind of egg shaped). Stop relying on lines to define everything. Start experimenting with colors, use the HSL sliders.

It's a myth that simply practicing something will make you better. Only effortful  practice will make you better. To effortfully study something, you need to identify how to improve and peruse it. Start doing this."

//// One of the things that I want to try to get across is structure and form. Thanks for pointing those out to me. Also, I have never really been good with eyes. Also, npcs usually do not have that many poses to worry about. But it couldn't hurt to try out something new I guess.

"Remember what's been said in other threads, you rely too heavily on outlines to convey details, and that isn't a terribly good idea when you're working this small.

Other than that they both have pretty outlandish skintones, and since the guys legs are roughly the same colors as his skintone it apears a he doesn't have any pants.

I did an edit of the girl:

Her hair is very stiff, like it's one big object, I thougth it was some sort of bandana in your previous verisons.

The way I did the eyes is just one  way of showing the viewer that this is a female sprite.

I don't know if you care for colorsaving, but I cut them down from 21 to 16.

And as I stessed before, outlines often just mess up when you're working this small instead you should use highlights and shadows to show form.

You're maing progress though that is evident!"

/// I like what you did with that edit. I tried an earlier edit with with no outline fir the hair and liked it. But someone said (gosh darn me and names) that it clashed styles with the others, so I changed it back. I'm still concerned a bit about those though. Should I have a lighter shade at the edge of the sprite that's facing the most light? I also noticed you changed the light direction. Would it be better to change it for everything else, or keep a north-west light?

edit: "and since the guys legs are roughly the same colors as his skintone it apears a he doesn't have any pants."
///// I just Now noticed that. Woopsies.

(if it's not too much to ask, for further discussion can we keep the names/slang names of a womans upper torso use to a bare minimum? thanks)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 04:02:45 am by xhunterko »