AuthorTopic: Some new stuff  (Read 13550 times)

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Some new stuff

on: May 05, 2010, 06:05:48 am
I didn't want to bump my old thread. Here's the stuff I've been working on lately:

I'm starting to like these, which usually means there's something wrong with them. The astronaut holding the flag is a bit of worry to me. I think the arm is fine, or maybe not?

What do you guys think?

(cnc please)

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Re: Some new stuff

Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 08:42:36 pm
I guess I should not be worried then? Hmm, moving forward then.

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 01:49:00 am
I like the character designs.  The characters are expressive and distinct despite being small.

The arm holding the flag looks fine to me.

The dark outlines are eating up your pixel space and adding noise when body parts sit in front of one another.  It is difficult to tell the position of the arms of the rightmost figure, even at 2x.

The symmetrical shading on the chest (like the figure with the red shirt) doesn't look consistent with the other lighting (from our right and above).

I think the thighs should be one pixel longer and the shins one pixel shorter.  The boot tops should be part of the shin length, and the shins should not be longer than the thighs.

I did a quick edit on the last figure to try and give it more form.  Mixed results, I wasn't sure what to do with the backpack.  I tried to outline the figures but use internal AA, as if the outlines were less than one pixel wide.  This gets more pixel space (1/2 pixel in each direction) and keeps some of the outline for enhanced contrast.  I'm not sure it worked.  Maybe someone can point to a better technique for achieving this.

Tourist

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 12:58:21 am
Just checking to see that I'm following the intention of the edit. The orange guy is still wip.

Any better?

The space guy on the right is supposed to be a big guy like the orange guy is. I also figured, that since the big guy has bigger arms, you would see just a bit more of it on the other side. Right?

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 02:25:24 am
I like that you're persevering in your attempts. That's good. I was wondering, do you do any actual drawing? Like in a sketchpad?
I detect a traditional skills deficit. I have seen the comics you've posted in OT thread(s), but do you make a habit of playing around on paper, or with a tablet on computer, when developing ideas, especially character ideas? If not I suggest you do. I suggest anyone does. Pixels can't mask this missing skill-set.

But keep up the good work. The orange isn't too bad. How about a little attention to the hair? - Some highlights.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 04:49:32 am
Phew...

Actually, yes, I do do a lot of drawing sometimes. I also did part of this project (though not these particular character designs) with a drawing tablet. These came about from not using a 16x16 grid and not worrying about stiff limits and structure. Then I took the kitty and resized him once and then twice to get the size I'm at.

Funny thing was, I WAS wondering about how to do the hair earlier today. I think the face can stay the same though. Every time I add a highlight to the right side of the face it looks way too bright. So I'm leaving it at that for the time being. Have you seen the other stuff I posted in the OT threads? I'm not sure how much I posted but I've posted some stuff that I've drawn up.

Thank you for the crit. :)

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 06:31:15 am
I agree that these are much improved.  The guy in the red shirt conveys mass quite well. 

The only concern about the spaceman's arm (arm on our right) is that the elbow is a little higher than the arm on the left.  All the rest looks good.

Tourist

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 02:34:01 am
Can I ask someone an odd favor?

I had been playing around with the female look with my last sprite set and would still like to do so here.

The thing is, I want to make it look like a young lady while still keeping it appropriate. (if you know what i mean).

So could someone do an edit like that for me?

Thanks!

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 07:01:10 pm
You won't learn anything if you have other people do the work for you.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 09:50:19 pm
"You won't learn anything if you have other people do the work for you." - ???

I have done women edits before. It's not that I couldn't do it. I just don't want to get in trouble while doing it. And I really don't want to get it wrong either.

Any edit in any form would've been helpful. 

I can just imagine the question: 'Hey, what are doing staring at that one area for so long?'
Me: 'Uh, trying to get it right?'
Them: 'Uh huh, sure.'