AuthorTopic: Avatar Face  (Read 3533 times)

Offline Vaporice

• View Profile

on: May 03, 2010, 03:22:24 pm
Hello, this is my first WIP I post, C+C please =)
I did some pixelart before but never really got into it, I hope that'll change now

The image is based on this image:

I'm pretty pleased with the result. Now I wonder, this thing was pretty easy, all I had to do is look at the original picture and try to make the shapes look the same. Also I didn't have to pick the colors myself nor did I have problems with lighting. So I guess this was an easy piece to start with. I think it'll be a lot harder when I would try to make something that I didn't have such a clear reference for. I've never really did serious drawing with pen and paper so what do you advise me. Start learning how to draw on paper? If so, how would you recommend me to start as I have no idea where to start.

Offline Jorund

• View Profile

Re: Avatar Face

Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 05:16:26 pm
You should start learning how to draw on paper. As Gil always suggest: the books from Andrew Loomis are always a good place to start. You can find them here: LINK.
Then when you feel comfortable about your knowledge in anatomics and light you can swith to pixel.

Here's a small edit I make, not very good one, but would help me explain myself:

* You got to much unnecesary aa.
* Palette is a bit desaturated.
* Try recycling colors.
* Try removing outlines.

Of course you can go for a cartoony style and leave the outlines and don't work with too much shadow. But it depends on what you're going for.
Hope it helps :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 05:46:51 pm by Jorund »

Offline Vaporice

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 06:25:29 pm
Thanks, just the kind of answer I needed =)
Well I'd love to be able to draw realistic faces and unrealistic scenes popping into my head, so I go read those books. What book would you suggest to start with? He has quite a few.

Offline Jorund

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 06:28:52 pm
What book would you suggest to start with? He has quite a few.
To start: Fun with a Pencil.

Offline twodayslate

• View Profile
    • twitter

Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 09:18:31 pm
I like your face better. It is more animated and made me laugh :) Realistic is not always best ;)

Just work on your aa

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 10:19:46 pm
To start drawing and having fun with it:

Andrew Loomis - Fun with a pencil
Glenn Vilppu - The Vilppu Drawing Manual

If you want to get further into facial expressions, correct head anatomy, etc (these books start to get pretty advanced):

Andrew Loomis - Drawing the Head and Hands
Burne Hogarth - Drawing the human head

Remember that even cartoony heads contain all the basic building blocks of realistic heads. Cartoons simplify and exagerate reality, they don't make forms up.

Offline Vaporice

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 06:31:57 pm
Thanks, currently I'm reading Fun with a pencil (I've drawn so many funny people  :lol:) but I'll keep this thread bookmarked so I probably can read those later.
But I really like fun with a pencil, the way he wrote it is very entertaining  :P

I'm sure you recognize this guy ---> ;D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 12:43:24 am by Vaporice »