AuthorTopic: Style...why?  (Read 6480 times)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Style...why?

Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 02:38:04 am

What I'm wondering, based on this, is if it's worth losing your recognizable 'style' to go and do many different kinds of art, or to stay on with your most preferred and comfortable way of drawing, using those same methods and techniques and refining them, mastering them over time? I suppose the question can only be answered by one's self-motive to grow and experiment, and their need to be recognized.

I always feel that artists with an instantly recognizable style are more prominent to me, anyway.

A master of one thing is a master of nothing.
you summed it up pretty well though, its a matter of if the artist wants self improvement or recognization.

xhunterko:
to attempt to answer your question- probably the first thing is color. Color works with our eyes and our minds very strongly and, its what makes up all images we see in the first place! Finding the mood you want to convey and then using colors that are similar to the color most commonly associated with that mood( red=anger, blue=depression or calm, yellow= bouncy, happy, vivid etc) would be a good thing to start with. From there you would want to exaggerate the features of that character that show the emotion you're after. For story/history and such you could do that with costume, having little tidbits that link to the character's story and the story of the world that it lives in.

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 06:40:58 am
I class my style as my curse really... I've had people tell me I have a very diverse style but I can see similarities between all of my works that kind of frustrates me that I cannot break them easily. (Over 15 years and the influence of anime still scars what I do...) For me at least I think my style has evolved just from how knowledgeable I am and how I understand what I'm working on. For me it's hard to break my style because in a way it's the extent of what I know and what I'm comfortable with.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 07:18:36 am
In my experience style tends to be a mark of workflow in personal art. If you are looking at a specific style of a game on the other hand, it is often a conscious choice that adds recognizability and identity to the game. It'll be more memorable and people will immediately know from a single picture which game it belongs to. This style too is createad most easily by having a defined workflow on it, but style can also be added with conscious comparison to the style while making something with your own workflow.

What makes a style look the way it does? Arachne's dithering, Helm's construction on a technical basis? It leaves recognizable marks, but when drawing something yourself, you can maintain that style by copying the resulting elements of the workflow that create or define the style.

To reach an own style is something I too saw oftenly discussed and never understood. Doing art alot makes you work in a specific direction because it's most easy for you. If you wish to communicate a message, why try out new stuff if you can do it the way you do and it looks good? Even within that style, or workflow, you can improve your art quality, so why worry about trying different methods? If you are still developing, you're often having a scattershot at methods and aren't consistenti n them because you are looking for a way to have your art look better. Although this partially is workflow, most of it will come through experience and practice of art. Therefore, if you try and maintain alot of workflows, or copy alot, you can in fact have multiple styles that you can apply to your knowledge of art.

Just my subjective 2 cents