AuthorTopic: Why can't we...?  (Read 11152 times)

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Why can't we...?

on: August 15, 2005, 01:46:38 am
A) Name every new forum that's created 'Pixelation' rather than creating new names?

B) Buy a webdomain (ala pixelation.org) and have that redirect to whatever is the current forum?

Without a stable name and without a stable address, we lose hoards of people every switch, especially any publishers and developers who've caught wind of the forum. Pixelaiton was littered with pro visits and every new forum there's less and less of that because we're essentially starting over. Why not do the two suggestions above? There's no reason why we need to be renaming every new forum something new when it's the same people running it every time, and there's definitely no reason we can't have a domain pointing in that forum's direction, so that if it goes down, we just redirect it to the new one. Hell, I'll buy the domain myself.

Anyway, I was just wondering what the reasoning was behind this constant reinvention. It seems to me such a practice can onyl have negative effects on the forum.

- Adam

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Re: Why can't we...?

Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 02:06:22 am
I'd have to agree. I was on vacation in Germany when pixelation got defaced or whatever happened, and it took a month or two for me to find pixelerate.

Hopefully the new forum (the finished one) will be pixelation, but you never know.

I'm not too concerned with developers getting lost, I'm more concerned with people being confused and not finding their way here.

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 02:24:50 am
Downtime and hackers are the worst thing about keeping the community stable. Before, it was a matter of Frozen finding a way to keep things running. He and Bjorn made some form of agreement which the moderators were not privy to. The free hosting situation has ended. Hosting and a domain were purchased to ensure we would be able to guarantee its stability for the foreseeable future.

Pixelation domain: All of the good pixelation domain names are taken. I suppose we could use one of the obscure ones to redirect. Pixel-Arts.Org was meant to support Pixelation AND a slew of new services, so we're trying to expand from the original mission. In a sense, it is a reinvention, but it's also out of necessity that we found a new name to act as an umbrella for these services. 'http://pixelation.pixel-arts.org' isn't too bad is it?

Pixelopolis was only meant to be a temporary measure: We fully intend to use the 'Pixelation' identity, as well as a revamped color scheme. Right now, getting coders is a pain, even for pay. We chose the temporary forum because community cohesion was at a dangerous low.

I'm not too concerned with developers getting lost, I'm more concerned with people being confused and not finding their way here.
I agree. I wish this was 'Pixelation'. By name alone, the resurgence would be much easier.

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 02:29:21 am
I think pixelation.pixel-arts would be great. I'm also fine with pixel-arts.org, but maybe there'd be a page where you could either go to the wiki or the forum, and there'd be some links or a piece of art there or something (like a contest: design the opening page art) that changes monthly.

But that's just an idea.

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 02:34:07 am
Sure, Evan, let me deal with that now...

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 02:39:24 am
Sure, Evan, let me deal with that now...

Haha, okay, let me get my hopes up real quick here...

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 03:02:25 am
"I agree. I wish this was 'Pixelation'. By name alone, the resurgence would be much easier."

So why not call this site Pixelation, and when/if the real Pixelation is back up, replace this with it? There are also tons of pixelation.something addresses available. None of the big ones (com, org, net) but tons of short extensions are still free like pixelation.jp, pixelation.cc and pixelation.ws. A redirecting domain will not go down (because it only takes a few bytes to pass someone to the next site) and it's something we can forever count on and bookmark. Hell, we probably won't even notice any future shift in forums if we handle it right.

I understand the hackers, the costs and so on, but what's stopping us from a) Renaming this forum Pixelation and b) Buying a pixelation.something domain that redirects to the forum? Right now? And if there is nothing stopping us, let's go ahead and do it. Pep, swap the header image and I'll buy whatever redirecting domain you guys want.

- Adam
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 03:04:59 am by AdamTierney »

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005, 03:42:22 am

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #8 on: August 15, 2005, 03:52:52 am
honestly, i think the problem that has always been with pixelation is the fact that nobody wants to take true leadership over the thing and get things going, wheather it is 1 person or a group of people, i think that's an important first step.
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 15, 2005, 05:52:09 am
The index was updated. That should help.

http://pixel-arts.org

So why not call this site Pixelation, and when/if the real Pixelation is back up, replace this with it? There are also tons of pixelation.something addresses available. None of the big ones (com, org, net) but tons of short extensions are still free like pixelation.jp, pixelation.cc and pixelation.ws. A redirecting domain will not go down (because it only takes a few bytes to pass someone to the next site) and it's something we can forever count on and bookmark. Hell, we probably won't even notice any future shift in forums if we handle it right.
Because we set up a 'Pixelation' already, but it's in hiding as we work on it. It's incredible how hard it's been to get it up, but just as well, we saw the pressing need to get ANY forum up, so now we have this. We want to make the return of the actual Pixelation kind of special.... but it's not like we're not able to meet our needs with this forum as it is either, hehe...

If anybody can recommend some available domains, we can consider them during the week.

Why not just buy www.pixelationredirect.com?
:) It's fitting with how many reincarnations we've had!

honestly, i think the problem that has always been with pixelation is the fact that nobody wants to take true leadership over the thing and get things going, wheather it is 1 person or a group of people, i think that's an important first step.
I don't think that's the case. There's leadership and excellent support/feedback. We're only lacking available coders to get services together. We actually have a forum here, and while it's not what I was envisioning people coming back to, it's something we can at least appreciate. Pixelation's traditionally very 'vanilla', so let's focus on the reason it's here.

If any 1337 coders are free, send a PM.  :D