AuthorTopic: Remake of an old pixel piece  (Read 4598 times)

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Remake of an old pixel piece

on: May 17, 2010, 02:54:56 am

Made this today as a remake of the oldest piece of pixel art I could find, namely this little thing from June 2006. I think it was made right before I registered here actually.
I took some liberties in fleshing it out here and there. And yes, those guards are indeed carrying tiny little hammers.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Remake of an old pixel piece

Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 03:21:03 am
4 years late your kick a lot of ass dude!

Trees (leaves) don't separate well from the ground plane, probably a hue thing (kick them towards teal a touch and they should work better IMO)
Olive-colored grass blades stick out and get a little jaggy, pushing them back would help too.

Also my hat's off to you because of the realistically depicted warhammer, although single-handed varieties were intended for cavalrymen.  Also would help if we saw the haft come down a pixel or two below his hand, too, so that we can see he's got a nice grip.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 03:23:55 am by ndchristie »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 04:16:59 am
Awesome, thanks!

Some minor tweaking:
edit: and some more:

And yes, I have been absurdly fascinated by warhammers ever since I saw this video on youtube. NSFW warhammer on car door action included.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 05:47:29 am by junkboy »

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 05:14:41 am
This is wonderful! But rampant with jagged pixel clusters. Edit including ndchristie's points:

Yeah, I kind of screwed the priorities in the piece up with my contrast. But I think in some places I improved it (bushes, rocks, walls, sky).

Ramps are very flat, hue-wise. Just playing with the colours and tidying up the jaggedness brings out a tonne of goodness in this piece.

Other thing, on the tree trunks you have these large flat areas of highlight that go almost immediately into shadow. There's much more potential for defining the form if you more carefully spread your values. Blend the highlights gradually across the form into the shadow.

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 05:46:45 am
Thank you for that excellent edit, EyeCraft! I don't wanna go all Seiken Densetsu 3 crazy with the hue-shifting, but I certainly saw how to separate the tree canopies a bit more clearer now. Stealth edited my post above yours. There's a lot that I could rendered further of course, but I kinda like the chubby flatness of it all.

Offline alspal

• alastair
    • View Profile
    • My games and things

Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 10:11:54 am
I like the colours in the first one the most, its so warm and wonderful feeling. The other images seem to be losing the charm.