AuthorTopic: [WIP] Ninja Jam platform game mockup  (Read 39874 times)

Offline Ninja Crow

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Ninja Jam platform game mockup

Reply #20 on: May 06, 2010, 03:40:30 pm
Quote from: xhunterko
@Ninja crow: Darn you! You made me find a new chiptune label by going to that project page! (that's a good thing :)).
Yeah, it's pretty cool stuff, and thanks for the great tips!

Quote from: xhunterko
I couldn't tell if they were machines unless I looked a coulple times.
Wow, I'm really surprised by that - I thought the new shading on the metal was rich and amazing.  I'm afraid I have to disagree about a lack of contrast between what was supposed to be metal and what was supposed to be stone - it seems perfectly strong to me (the soup bowls (?) even have a central specular highlight) and I love the sharp line of shadow across the bowls, which helps them look reflective even more.  But maybe you can make an edit to show me what you mean?  (full disclosure: I'm going to be very hard to convince ;))

Offline eobet

• View Profile
    • eobet disajn

Reply #21 on: May 07, 2010, 11:41:49 am
I like the retro gameboy styling of this, but I hope it becomes an iPhone game or that you double the pixels because right now it kinda hurts my eyes to squint.

Also, the ninja looks more like a guy with a motorcycle helmet. How about trying to invert his colors?

Offline moket

• View Profile
    • human hacks

Reply #22 on: May 07, 2010, 03:16:02 pm
Xhunterko & JakerPot > thanks guys for the support, really appreciated :)

Depressed was a strong word, I'm just concerned by all the issues, even if I like some parts I don't have the control, mostly trial and errors, exciting but also a bit hazardous. I can't wait to feel more at ease with the technical side and concentrate on the design/game design.
By adding more colors to the palette I meant to expand the values and work more on the depth. The comments helped me a lot, whether I agree or not, it's always good to think about someone take on a piece. Arachne really kicked my butt in a gentle way. Understanding why you're down or not with the opinions expressed.
The metal thing for example, the fact it should "shine more" depends in which context you place them, dusty places tends to damper the effect and the atmospheric perspective too.

Eobet > yeah I agree that's why I wanted to upscale, the game will be made in Flixel (AS3) zoomed x2 and free, I didn't even thought of making it playable at original pixel size. But the more I work on it the more I realize I'm not elegant enough with pixel to blow up the resolution and show the pixels, constraints are a good things until they cut the motivation. I started this for fun and wanted to discuss it on forums since the beginning, so I'm forced to finish it in a way, and I really like the way people here say things plainly.

No pics -shame- but more tonight !
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 09:41:59 pm by moket »

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: May 08, 2010, 02:06:13 am
Edit as requested:

Though it's not very good. Only worked on it for a couple minutes. I hope it shows what I'm trying to get across and provides what you asked for Ninja Crow.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #24 on: May 08, 2010, 06:20:52 am
Edit as requested:

I see the intent, but I remain unconvinced by your edit. Especially, you have somewhat killed the volume of the thing by applying a flat raster regardless of the shape.
I'd dare to add that metal is shiny unless rusty and would suggest that the "machinery" look could also come from animated puffs of steam evading from the pipes and joints rather than by using a chrome texture.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #25 on: May 08, 2010, 08:15:23 am
I like the animation concept, although they already do look semi-mechanic to me.

I don't mean to clusterfuck against something that was meant to be helpful, but in my opinion it is that moket is already using this (might I add, lovely) palette to just about the best of his abilities. Your edit seems to use the entire range of colors, which I don't feel is a good thing to do. Visual priorities are all nice and distinguished here. A screen full of foreground objects using the entire range of colors would probably help your eye get lost in the sea of contrast. Although, in theory you're right. Metals do tend to be shiny and contrasting, particularly if there's a strong light. Not that they can't be dull, either, tho.

Why I said you were almost using the palette to the best of your abilities, moket; is that I feel the sand blends into the background too much, using the lighter background color for it would probably help.

Other than this, it's lovely. Love the atmosphere and style and everything.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: May 08, 2010, 05:19:09 pm
Ah well, at least I tried.

In my defense, I hadn't seen what moket had done in his last post before I posted the edit. Which, looking at it now, is quite clear at what he's trying to portray.

Note to self, look again before you post.

Offline Ninja Crow

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: May 08, 2010, 07:56:47 pm
Oh man, xhunterko, you hadn't seen the new one yet!  Sorry if I misunderstood anything you said!

@ Dr D : Since you can't stand on the sand, it seems entirely appropriate to me that it is a light background colour (almost like a drop off pit) and I personally loved the lighting techniques that are suggested by having similar colours (as in a film when the director wants to show how much sunlight is flooding the scene) and the sand texture seemed an effective enough contrast - but I'd love to see an edit if you have time, to more understand your view point.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #28 on: May 08, 2010, 08:15:39 pm
Ah, my ignorance, then. I assumed for some reason, that you could walk on it. But it makes perfect sense now that you mentioned you can't. It does seem to bring out the platforms intended for your survival nicely.

Offline moket

• View Profile
    • human hacks

Reply #29 on: May 09, 2010, 12:31:24 am
Dr.D, you were right about the sand and I will allow the character to walk on it and put monsters in it. The sound could be nice too.
I added one color for the foreground sand, adding one particular tone to each part of the environment could be an option.  
Xhuntertko, desaturation will happen for sure, I just don't want to rush it otherwise everything will be little variations of grey.
PypeBros, I can't wait to play with particules :)

Made a wide mockup for each part to test specific backgrounds, I like seeing the next stage graphics in the background, time to put more thoughts into the transitions.
I don't know if it's doable but I will try to make the game into a big level without transitions, only saving points.
Also I will add two more tiles/32px  to the height to make a foreground and last part to do, the Hot Soup Temple last level.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 02:28:04 am by moket »