AuthorTopic: HELP NEEDED! How do I better myself?!  (Read 12064 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: HELP NEEDED! How do I better myself?!

Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 01:46:18 am
Huh, I never thought of that. I've just jumped straight into it without a clue what to do. Thanks man.
That's what we're here for :). Glad to be of help.

The craft part of art can be daunting to get your head around, so finding ways to split it up in manageable tasks and practicing those is the only way to get ahead. There's tons of resources for exercises to try, but you can usually figure them out yourself too, by dividing the problem logically. This helps getting your own insights.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 09:37:18 am
Another tip is don't draw things straight on like that.
If u can, usually it's better to see things at a bit of an angle as that makes it much more 3d instead of looking like a cardboard cut-out.
Try drawing the same robot from a few perspectives and each time it will probably get better.
U can also use this as an opportunity make changes that improve the desig  rather than limiting urself to an idea that wasn't first conceived in 3d.

Personally i like to block in a bunch of silhouettes, pick one i find interesting, then block in the light and dark to give form before proceeding any further.

Here's the early stages of a sprite to show what i mean.
This later went on to have fixes, colour and animation but not before i felt it was ready.

Offline Capta1n_Henry

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 01:11:17 pm

This edit made me kind of sad because this is basically the look I wanted my character to have but, I realize now what I can do for my other stuff. Thanks guys for replying.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 02:16:01 pm by Capta1n_Henry »

Offline tsej

• View Profile
    • Art and Code

Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 05:29:33 pm

This edit made me kind of sad because this is basically the look I wanted my character to have but, I realize now what I can do for my other stuff. Thanks guys for replying.

Hey man, no need to be sad. Try to paint your character again. What's wrong with it? You're learning.
Redo your character. Look at PPD's edit and repaint it. It wasn't done to just be looked at! Study it. See how he did things. Try to imitate it, then experiment with it. Play with the colors, shapes, angles! And remember you can always ask for help here, but you need to put in the work and effort. Have a good day!  :)
Correct me if I'm wrong

Offline Capta1n_Henry

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 07:51:12 pm
Wait, it's ok to justhe take an edit and use it for yourself?

Offline tsej

• View Profile
    • Art and Code

Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 08:02:37 pm
Wait, it's ok to justhe take an edit and use it for yourself?

No, you cannot use it "as-is" somewhere else and claim you did it.

BUT you can use the edit as a reference and try to study it and imitate it to learn. Try it out, it's fun.

How I see it, edits help me see what I did wrong, where I fell short, how other people do things, how they use colors, etc. LEARN from them. Try to redo your piece by trying to imitate the edit, but don't trace over it and copy-paste. Try something new along with it, add a new weapon, a new armor piece, anything!

Correct me if I'm wrong

Offline Capta1n_Henry

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 10:49:34 pm
Ahhh, ok that makes so much more sense. Thanks