AuthorTopic: 32*32 icons  (Read 7569 times)

Offline xbogx

• View Profile

32*32 icons

on: April 23, 2010, 07:41:35 am

how would you make these better?

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Re: 32*32 icons

Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 11:08:48 am
The baseball bat looks more like a telescope  :(

Also, how easily should the player be able to see these (I presume they're for a game)? I'd suggest increasing the contrast between the weapons and their green boxes, either by brightening the weapons a bit or by darkening the green slightly. Nothing drastic, but every percentage point counts ::)
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa

Offline xbogx

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 02:01:47 pm
Actually the green background was just what i was pixelling on. They are for a game, they're supposed to be inventory icons for weapons but i don't know if i'll be using these, it's just a little practice for now. Anyway i have no idea what background they're gonna be on, but i'll make sure it doesn't hurt the readability

What would make the bat look less like a telescope? It doesn't look like one to me but that might be because i made it. Making it wooden is not an option.

Offline ChadHachey

• Send more paramedics
    • View Profile
    • PixelJoint

Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 02:52:21 pm
The bat doesn't look like a telescope to me, but perhaps adding a wider bottom like this will make it more akin to a bat. Anyway good work on these icons they look great.

Offline xbogx

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 04:46:07 pm

like this? seems better? i'm not sure

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 08:24:00 pm
It's the strange segmenting of it. It moves outwards two pixels at a time instead of one, making it look oddly chunky and angular instead of smooth like a bat surface should be.

Also, this had better be for a zombie game  :lol:
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa

Offline xbogx

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 09:03:06 pm
yeah but if i don't move them outward at the same time, it looks crooked

anyway what about the pistol and knife? I think those are the worse ones

sorry, no zombies. It's supposed to be post-apocalyptic, but not the zombie kind, more like a wasteland/fallout thing, so maybe mutants.

Offline Red_Mist

• Not enough pixels in the world.
    • View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 09:56:09 pm
Haven't played much baseball in my life, but from what I remember, you typically wanna get both hands on the grip. Atm, you only have enough room for 1 maybe 1 1/2 grips length.

I think by making that part longer, and maybe lose the dramatic slope you have fixes the bats core problems. I still think it can be improved tho even after a quick edit.

love the shotgun icon btw.

after a second look, even this bats grip seems a bit short imo... maybe taking it even further would help?
<Xion> I can't see it why can't I see it

Offline circuscommando

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 10:06:23 pm
i would extend the handle on the pistol, or at least make it skinnier (it seems a bit fat right now)
as for the background, one thought would be to change each one to a different color (red heavy, orange close combat, etc. etc.)

for the bat: perhaps move the grip up a bit? a little more metal at the bottom.
he hobbles and hobbles.

Offline xbogx

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 07:53:08 am
Red_Mist you're right about the handle, but i think you took it too far, looks more like a cricket bat now. What about something like this:

The thing is i can't make the handle too long cause then the bat seems too short. If i try to make the bat thinner, i don't have enough room for shading. And i want to keep it 32*32. Anyway i think it works the way it is right now.

circuscommando what about these new guns? i think the second one is best

the different background color thing seems nice, but not for my game cause when you pick up items, the cursor image uses this icon, so its bg has to be transparent

thanks for the replies everyone but what about the knife? isn't it the ugliest? i have no idea how to fix it