AuthorTopic: iPhone work  (Read 8847 times)

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

iPhone work

on: April 17, 2010, 08:01:13 am
I haven't posted for a while as I've been hard at work with uni and such...  But still lurk this site from time to time so for those who remember me hi again.

I've been working on an iPhone game and thought I would show off some of the art that's going into it.  The aim of the game is to bounce your character to the top of the level using trampolines you draw with your finger.

To create the art I used gimp, creating the images and animation at a high resolution then shrinking them to a lower resolution and touching them up with pixel art like techniques.

Here's main character, this shows his moving up, moving down and swapping between moving up and moving down animations.

This imp transforms into a duplicate of the player when you collide with him, forcing you to look after twice as much.  Here is the imps idle animation.

Another enemy.  This red guy destroys your trampolines when he runs into them.

The background.  This is a parallax background this shows the closest and furthest layers, another layer will likely be placed between.  As it is parallax the layers move at different speeds according to the cameras movement.

For those curious the game is made using openGL and using almost entirely c++ code with openAL and AVaudio for sounds.

Edit:

Map Editor
Download Here
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 02:28:19 pm by zeid »
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline snakesqzns

• View Profile

Re: iPhone work

Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 01:37:37 am
Are you doing any of the programming?  How are you liking C++ for the iPhone vs ObjC?

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 04:49:07 am
Yeah I'm doing all of the programming and art, though I'm looking for someone to do the music/sounds.  I'm not very familiar with objC but have programmed in C++ for a fair while which is part of the reason I opted for this approach.  I find C++ on the iPhone surprisingly easy to work with, once I created a simple wrapper I haven't really had to look at much objC code.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 05:21:48 am
I like the concept, and the designs of the characters. But the first and third ones have very patchy outlines which makes it look too much like resampled CG drawing. Which is cheap in comparison to the wonderful rocks.

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 02:24:10 pm
Thanks for the feedback EyeCaft, I'm inclined to agree I was a bit lazy with the reworking those two on a low-res scale if I have enough time I will give them some more attention.  In the meantime I'm just going to keep pushing out art and code.  Everyone please do continue to give feedback/critique, I will get around to corrections when I can.  Added some more art that can be seen in the 1st post as well as a link to a map editor made for the game.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 02:27:08 pm by zeid »

Offline SirPrize

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 05:43:58 pm

Offline Theoden

• View Profile
    • My Gallery

Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 07:08:22 pm
Yeah I'm doing all of the programming and art, though I'm looking for someone to do the music/sounds.  I'm not very familiar with objC but have programmed in C++ for a fair while which is part of the reason I opted for this approach.  I find C++ on the iPhone surprisingly easy to work with, once I created a simple wrapper I haven't really had to look at much objC code.

Hi, it seems a lot of time has passed since this thread was opened but I might help if you are still looking for someone to compose the music.