AuthorTopic: [WIP] Landscape [C+C]  (Read 3144 times)

Offline ChadHachey

• Send more paramedics
    • View Profile
    • PixelJoint

[WIP] Landscape [C+C]

on: April 17, 2010, 05:15:51 am

Okay, so recently we started doing landscapes in my art class, and considering I've never done one in pixel art (or in any other form :P) I thought it would be a fun challenge.
After about a hour, this is what I came up with. I'm aware that the left side of the mountains are atrocious right now, but I think I'm starting to get a hand of them. Anyway, critiquing is appreciated.
Reference

Edit: Tried doing grass, failed. Any tips?  
Also I haven't changed the palette because there's no quick way to do it on paint :P I'll get around to it eventually I've just been doing most of this at school in my spare time.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 03:33:27 pm by ChadHachey »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Landscape [C+C]

Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 03:08:04 pm
The illusion of space in landscape relies on the compression of forms as we retreat into the picture plane, meaning not only that objects receding in space will become smaller, but that, because the X axis will expand indefinitely to the horizon, we see far more notable flattening in the Y axis.  That is, features like your shoreline, treeline, and mountain ranges will need to grow flatter and flatter towards horizontal lines as they approach the horizon.  Moreoer, unless an object above the horizon is grossly huge in comparisson to the objects before it, if it is farther away it should diminishwith comparisson to closer objects, i.e. your nearby mountains should be taller than the further ones, unless we have some reason to think that they are much smaller.

EDIT : hats off for using thomas fricking doughty.  I didn't know most other folks had even heard of him.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 07:10:57 am by ndchristie »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 08:23:47 am
Wonderful ref. Also helpful for pointing problems.

Adding to ndchristie's point about perspective, look closely how the water edges get more linear and horizontal in the distance. That's a powerful way to convey perspective and depth, linked to the observer's point of view height (not much above water level). In this respect, the further bank in your pixel looks tilted.

About color use: you are using colors you think stuff has, not the actual colors which depend on light, point of view etc. In short, your trees are green, trunks and rocks are brown, water is blue. Not so in life, not so in the ref! There's actually very little green in those trees and grass, very little blue in that water.
But some colors (dark greyish/bluish purples) are reused all over: color conservation is not pixel-art-specific! This is a very strong way to unify a piece.

Distant mountains are more blue than the middle-ground cliff.

Then, shading. Light mostly comes from a low sun behind the trees on the right; it is both soft (no sharp cast shadows) and contrasted (foreground doesn't get much light).
I'd suggest to straighten this before any other consideration, because the dark and light patches have a very strong influence on the overall composition.

Another composition point: look how every part of the painting draw the viewer's eye toward the central details (mountains, cliff castle and waterfalls). The tree on the left is important for this, whereas in your pixel nothing prevents the eye to wander off the image on that side.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 08:05:21 pm by Manupix »

Offline ChadHachey

• Send more paramedics
    • View Profile
    • PixelJoint

Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 02:02:37 am

I made a few edits to my landscape but I don't have the file on my current computer, so in the meantime you can give me some pointers on this tree I did for practice.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 10:53:43 pm by ChadHachey »