AuthorTopic: Golden Angelic Knight and his Friends  (Read 3899 times)

Offline Medevenx

• View Profile
    • Burke-Works

Golden Angelic Knight and his Friends

on: April 15, 2010, 05:33:09 am

Hi guys. I've been registered for quite a while now but it seems that I haven't posted any of my work. Anyway, here are my pixels.

That's a golden knight character that faces a lot of enemies such as poisonous mushrooms, living skeletons, one-eyed bats and large red grunts.

Here are a couple of animations for the knight without wings.

I would love critique on these. Thanks in advance.

Offline Kidfrommars

• My location? It's kinda obvious..
    • View Profile
    • RPG Land

Re: Golden Angelic Knight and his Friends

Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 09:51:39 pm
I like it, but I find the sword distracting(?). I'm not very knowledgeable in pixel art terms, but the sword just is kinda bright and it quickly changes from white to dark gray. It makes me look at it in an odd way.
If anyone can understand this and articulate in better terms, please do so.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 11:18:15 am

The trick is to not go into detail, use reference for shapes you don't know how to light and to make sure your concepts truly stand out, you put too much detail into it it starts to lose its original meaning, anyway I hope you enjoy the edit! Best of luck on your project.

(I know a lot of people will go 'THIS IS AN EXTREME EDIT', I tend to get that, but please, just use what you think is to be learned from this and leave the rest behind, I apologize if this wasn't exactly your intentions.)

NOTE: Fixed edit up a bit, the sword specifically.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 10:59:04 pm by bengoshia »

Offline Kidfrommars

• My location? It's kinda obvious..
    • View Profile
    • RPG Land

Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 07:32:56 pm
Okay, I made an edit to show what I meant.

I decreased the amount of white on the image, and I think it makes it more 'readable'.
I also lowered the value of the white to 240,240,240(RGB) so it didn't pop out as much. What I don't like about this piece is that white is generally used more for highlights, but you use white everywhere. And the light source on your bottom images are opposite those of your top ones.

Offline Medevenx

• View Profile
    • Burke-Works

Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 09:32:05 pm
Well I kinda' went for the shiny look for the main character so he would ALWAYS catch your eye. I don't know how to shade words so, I guess I'll use your edit Kidfrommars for reference.

Offline alspal

• alastair
    • View Profile
    • My games and things

Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 11:40:53 pm
I'm not so good with critique or communication but I'll try and say what I think doesn't look so good.

The shades of grey you're using don't look so nice, try adding a bit of colour to it (bengoshia has shown this in an edit too). Especially in the white spots of the mushroom.

You could also benefit from some more interesting colours or hue shifting, the mushroom purples and the red enemy stand out for me there. There's also a lot of ugly banding like around the mushroom mouth and soldier guy's head.

For your sword animation, it looks a little strange and clumsy, almost like he's swinging a fish instead of a deadly sword. I got some good advice on animation in a topic of mine who explain it better than me: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=9837.0