AuthorTopic: RuneScape Pure Pixel Sig  (Read 10752 times)

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Re: RuneScape Pure Pixel Sig

Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 06:58:53 am
I'd say you should ignore all those comments saying the anatomy looks alright since it doesnt.

Arms are too short, legs are too long and there is something wrong going on in the crotch area, also the feet are really small.
You should pay more attention to anatomy, hair and facial expressions ideally (you could practice using a big mirror and posing yourself for reference).
Also use a reference to see how clothes and their folds work.

Then once you are done with that you should learn and think about light sources, from where do they come and how the would affect the sprite itself (again you could use a lamp and yourself posing in front of a mirror and see how light affects you and try to "import" that into your canvas) rather than coloring randomly.

Next step would be learning how to color and choosing your palette, that's something you end up learning with a bit of practice, but right now you could start by looking at other people's pictures, palettes and how they use it (and if you want to go further study color theory, study and seach about paintings and all that stuff).

Good luck.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 07:00:28 am by Panda »

Offline Rerg1

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 01:10:49 pm
Thanks. It will be probally a really long time until I'm good as you guys since Im only twelve.
I quitted that because I no likey and I'm now pixling a scene of a mini-game called Barrows of Runescape.
I'll post sketch l8r in a new topic  ;D

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 01:20:14 pm
Hey, the sooner you start, the better you get, eventually. I was shocked, years ago, when I found out some of my favorite artists were 14-15 years old. By the time I was 16, that is. So don't doubt yourself because you're young and inexperienced.

Offline Rerg1

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 02:30:27 pm

Offline Rerg1

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 08:38:36 pm
Started all over agian.. Call me... Mr.Perfectonist. Grops I think you were thinking I'm a game artist but I'm not :P I though that because of the angle but Thanks Alot man :)

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: March 30, 2006, 12:41:20 am
Wow, your diagram showing your lightsource is exactly backwards unless you're going for multiple lightsources, which I doubt you are. Keep in mind that with a single lightsource, it'll expand, not concentrate to a point like your arrows look. Keep that in mind before you end up getting shadows cast in multiple directions and highlights covering half the figure.

I'd also advise against coloring while doing the lineart. It's just a process I find to work better. Being able to see the lineart as a whole gives you a better feel of where the shadows and highlights are to be placed, but if you color as you go and realize a mistake has been made on the lines, you have to go through all those colors and switch stuff around and it just becomes a long, messy process  really easily.

And already, your palettes are not contrasting enough and both ramps are practically the same hue.

Offline Rerg1

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: March 30, 2006, 07:46:20 am
The ramps are the colours right?. 1st One on the left is the skin colour and the other one was the colour of the chest on my last pixel sig. I'm trying to make him in some underground hide-out with riches ad stuff. The light source is the Sun Light throught the hole.  ;D

sonic_reaper

Reply #17 on: March 30, 2006, 07:56:33 am
I can't make out what the last ... thing you posted is.

I think you guys are bombaring him with way too much stuff.  If I were you, I'd go back to my previous sprite and try to work on the pose and anatomy.  Keep the colors simple.  After you get the anatomy and posing right, then work on the colors.  Tackling too much stuff at once when you're a beginner just messes up your progress and style.

However, having said that, you're about where you should be for a 12 year old and you show much promise.  Keep at it.

And I did an edit cause I was bored;

« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 08:22:45 am by sonic_reaper »

Offline Rerg1

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: March 30, 2006, 01:08:43 pm
Didn't have to put the Dick Head there  ;). Anyways...Wow... But I don't use 2 colours because I think the clothes will mess up. But wow thanks man you just helped me alot!. I'm making a background to because most people I found out only make the person no background :( . I'm at school agian and I should be home in like 10mins but I'll go on later. Thanks agian :)

sonic_reaper

Reply #19 on: March 30, 2006, 07:55:52 pm
Well it was to show pose (and anatomy to a slight extent) -- I completely changed the hair so it isn't really your character anymore.  I would recommend you work off the original sprite and take it as far as possible.