AuthorTopic: transport  (Read 4834 times)

Offline hawken

• 8bit fantasy
    • hawkun
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio

transport

on: March 27, 2006, 07:06:16 am
comments welcome

twitter: https://twitter.com/hawkun
Pirate Pop Plus for 3DS, WiiU & Steam!

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Re: transport

Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 07:13:07 am
The seat to the bike looks realy short and I'm not sure how they're supposed to be shaped, but I doubt they're supposed to be flat on the top.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 08:03:00 am
The seat to the bike looks realy short and I'm not sure how they're supposed to be shaped, but I doubt they're supposed to be flat on the top.
You'd be suprised, then.
spontaneous bike

Offline hawken

• 8bit fantasy
    • hawkun
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio

Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 08:09:38 am
ah yes the main aspect to a lot of my work recently is that it's HEAVILY researched. I'm guessing it's one of those seats that has a gap to protect the spine.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 03:21:43 pm
I don't know the background behind why you've pixeled that bike in particular - I just want to point out (as a MTB enthusiast) that that bike looks hideous. Nowt wrong with the pixel work mind... your could have chosen a nicer one to knock up. Also, there's a LOT of extra spokes going down on those wheels... normally you're looking at 32 spokes per wheel, with a specific thread pattern - which you've avoided here.

Not quite sure what's going on with those front forks neither...? at first glance I thought they were a pair of triple clamps... but then there appears to be no suspension on them which is odd as it has rear sus... now here's the bike you wanna be doing... http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/2006bikes/patriot66-fr.php

Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 04:04:54 pm
Personally, I would tone down several of the colours in both bus pictures. You seem to have used very plain, basic colours and the yellow bars contrast the blue seats a lot. The red bus could also use some toning, It's allmost glowing imo. Also, I think you could put a little more work in softening down the lines. There are a lot of sharp edges here and there. You see it best on the yellow bars as they're so dominant in the overall picture.

Though, that's just one man's oppinion.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 04:54:16 pm
that's how buses in london look tho.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Syn

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 10:48:58 pm
that's how buses in london look tho.

Are you sure, I think it depends... I'm sure that some of them look like that but the ones I have gotten into were different. Anyway I'm sure hawken did the research and they look good IMO. What I'm wondering is why are the wheel rims of the bus different colors? Is it on purpose?

Offline hawken

• 8bit fantasy
    • hawkun
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio

Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 03:05:43 am
yeah the client provided me with about 50megs of reference pictures. They certainly wanted this bus! :) The routemasters are being phazed out of circulation now. Which is a shame as they are much more classic and I'd really jump at the chance to pixel one.

thanks for all the comments guys, I really am going to have to see what I can do about the colours. Maybe by adding some alternative shading I can save this.

Re: baccaman21: lol ;)

This is fairly random, I just googled "moutain bikes" and picked one that I liked the look of. I used to have a dual suspension bike before it got stolen and it was of a fairly similar frame (although the brakes / gears were rusty as hell). I took a few liberties here and there for personal preference and style, however all the technical bits are there - the front forks on this bike have their suspension above the front wheel, however it's black.

I tried to simulate the pattern of spokes, might have got it wrong. I guess it's always going to look a bit wrong at this resoloution. Thanks for bringing it to my attention and I should have another crack at it.