AuthorTopic: [WIP] Base Skeleton Sprite  (Read 2799 times)

Offline xiphirx

• herp
    • View Profile
    • For The Swarm

[WIP] Base Skeleton Sprite

on: April 09, 2010, 08:38:27 pm
Hello there, I have been working on a base skeleton sprite. I can't seem to get it right... my arms always look odd...

I also am having trouble with the eyes... maybe because I didn't give them enough space ...

Oh, and hi, I'm new D:

EDIT:

C+C?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 09:17:36 pm by xiphirx »
I whip my hair back n forth

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Base Skeleton Sprite

Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 12:37:11 am
I've read several tutorials that suggest creating the head shape and then placing the eyes on it.  For me, this approach doesn't work well.  I get better results if I start with an approximate size of the head, figure out the approximate size of the eye, then draw the eyes first, and add the rest of the head around the eyes.  The result is usually a within a pixel or two of the original head size, and the whole thing looks better.  After more practice I expect to internalize the initial calculations.  This may or may not not work for you.

Overall, anatomy practice would help.  There are a lot of tutorials on the web.  Here's the first one from Google: http://www.elfwood.com/farp/figure/williamlibodyconstruction.html

Don't worry about the AA so much on a base sprite.  It's likely going to be covered up with clothing or hair.

Tourist

Offline xiphirx

• herp
    • View Profile
    • For The Swarm

Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 12:46:27 am
I see... well I think I did pretty good on the proportions. Where do they look off to you?

I will try making the eyes larger, the guy looks cross eyed to me D:
I whip my hair back n forth

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 02:52:21 am
Eyes need to be wider.
Drop the nose line down a pixel and darken it.
Males should be widest at the shoulders, not the forearms.
Arms need to be longer.
Lower legs are often smaller around than thighs.
The arms and legs are lacking in shape.

For a first pixel, this isn't horrible.  Keep practicing.  Study the art and anatomy basics and you will improve rapidly.

Edit: Ugh, I realized I sound too much like I know what I'm talking about.  I don't claim any expertise.  I'm just a beginner, like you.  But I hope this helps.

Tourist
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 02:54:44 am by Tourist »