AuthorTopic: [WIP] RPG  (Read 4370 times)

Offline Dekthro

• View Profile

[WIP] RPG

on: April 08, 2010, 11:05:06 pm
Yes another topic for mee.. I got recruited for a RPG project, to be done in flash, and so I've stopped working on the others to focus on this. So far I've got one character done and would like to get some feedback. From IRC the issues so far have been with the hair (bangs, pony tail), and my outlines. The sword is partially complete (hilt unfinished), and not really angled in respects to her posture.

Thanks!  ;D

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] RPG

Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 01:15:00 am
The first two things that come to mind are simplify all of her details and up the contrast because she's kind of hard to read at the moment, and to fix her legs because right now she's got this sort of crooked stance... if that was intentional then I think I know what you're trying to do, but if so then it's not reading well.  But I'd keep this color scheme.

Offline Dekthro

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 04:11:03 am

Upped contrast on the hair and I like it a much much more. I removed the clothes so you could see my base, and I seen ow the original pose was somewhat lost with the clothes...

Update
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 04:43:30 am by Dekthro »

Offline zez

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 08:25:33 am
Thats way better, but the legs are still off. Follow the curve to the left that you have on the base sprite with the pants, and you should be good.

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 10:45:04 pm
I agree with zez.  The new version is better.

You've got several dark colors that are very close together.  Black, dark blue, dark purple.  these could be consolidated.  The dark brown used with the skin tones and the dark red used with the sword strap are also very close.  Maybe push these two further apart.

I think the legs need to be longer by a couple of pixels.

The new hair is much better.

Ditching the outlines would give you another pixel to use for the figure's shape.

Maybe some eyebrows?

Tourist

Offline Dekthro

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 09:26:45 pm

Update with suggested changes.  ;D

Offline zez

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 11:31:35 pm
Umm... now the legs are moving the opposite direction of the feet instead of just straight down well the feet move left... Thats even weirder looking.

Offline Dekthro

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 12:26:46 am

Well I'm trying to illustrate that the pants are not skin tight, but rather loose. How's this?

Offline zez

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 02:27:40 am
Still off. I get that you are going for baggy pants, the issue is that they are hanging straight down instead of following her legs. the one you have now on the far left her leg would actually be phasing through the pants (below the sword blade, above the shoe) see how on the right, the pants are a few pixels over the shoe? try doing that on the left, and then rather then make the line go straight down, make it a diagonal from the hip to the bottom of the pants. That wont actually look right, as she will basically end up dressed as MC hammer, but it will give you a slightly better idea of the angle the pants should be hanging at.
If you look at this sprite from the ill fated neo geo pocket -> you will notice her sleeves are EXTREMELY baggy, more so then your pants, but they still hang off of her arm. Gravity is pulling them down, but the highest point is still the thing they are actually contacting (because gravity doesnt make things phase through other things, at least, assuming the are solid.)
What you just did with the pants is basically the opposite of that, with the lowest point that should be hanging being moved towards the underside of the thing above it, and gravity pulling the upper part of the pant leg directly through the leg below it.

Offline Dekthro

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 03:10:57 am

Alright, I think I see what you're seeing. I moved the foot as well to put it a bit more in line.