AuthorTopic: Little Monsters  (Read 4040 times)

Offline Aelyrin

• View Profile

Little Monsters

on: April 03, 2010, 07:51:30 am
The title is plural because I want to make more, but don't need a bunch of topics.

Here's a little blue guy. On the right is the original, and on the left I tried to add colours. The plain blue one is very boring, but the colourful one is messy... I'm not very skilled at this and don't really know how to go about making him interesting. Any tips and edits would be appreciated.
He has short fur.

As an added note... I'm pretty sure I've matured since I first joined. So if you want to look at my past topics, please don't go any further than the one with the ant. I'll get back to that guy some time.

Newest:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 11:11:50 pm by Aelyrin »

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Re: Little Monsters

Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 09:37:31 am
I think the palette on the left one looks alright-ish, it looks messy because there's not a single surface left undithered. Less is more, especially in dithering.

Offline Aelyrin

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 05:54:00 pm

Alright, I tried to get rid of most of the dithering, how's it look?

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 07:57:03 pm

-Removed all dithering
-Removed unnecessary pixels
-Tried to improve readability

Offline Aelyrin

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 11:09:46 pm
Wow, that's crazy.
Please elaborate on what "unnecessary pixels" you removed.

You kinda changed his expression, though. He should look dopey-cute.

I tried completely reshading him (first I tried just editing, but I was getting nowhere) without any dithering. How's he look?

Offline Aelyrin

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 02:47:55 am
Since I haven't received any more input on the blue guy, would you say he's complete? :-*

Anyways, here's another...

But I'm sad because it doesn't match the style of the other at all. :'( What can I do to fix this?

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 11:07:44 am
I guess mush is referring to those isolated super-dark pixels found in the belly, knee, chin of your blue monster.
Btw, your blue guy still has a lone dark pixel near the mouth (i guess that's his smile ?) that could be misinterpreted as an eye.
Making sure that no "detail" of the mouth is darker than the eye is important for readability of your guy -- actually, nothing near the face should show a contrast transition near eyes.

The green plant looks interesting to me. It's a bit too early (imho) to fix mis-matching style. Do you have a mockup of the world they're going to evolve in ?

Offline Aelyrin

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 01:12:18 am
Umm. That dark pixel by the mouth is the eye. :crazy: I'll try to make it a little more obvious -- lighten the eyebrow, maybe.
Belly, knee, chin... I don't think there are isolated pixels there. Anymore, anyways.

Actually, I was just creating these little guys for practice because I'm not really creative.  :(
But now that you mention it, it might be fun to try and build a world around them. I think I'll want to make some more before tackling that, though. Hm. I think that's opposite of how people usually work, isn't it...? :-\ But I want to study more techniques first.