AuthorTopic: [WIP] Working on Rocks.  (Read 7522 times)

Offline Red_Mist

• Not enough pixels in the world.
    • View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

Re: [WIP] Working on Rocks.

Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 12:05:15 am
The fish looks too much like Nemo  :(

Well, if by that, you mean its a clown fish, then uh yeah I guess... but seriously? I don't really think its even remotely an issue...
Personally, I like the fish... its not oooh aaahh amazing or anything, but I think it has potential. Its tough to compete with big iconic characters unless you have some defining characteristics that separate it from the pack (Like Daffy vs Donald), perhaps that's what Koi Kami Mauro is talking about? John Kricfalusi I think refers back to this realm of thought, talking about it in his blog quite a bit.

On a side note... The big Floating rocks, single-lined Highlights, really bother me. Maybe tone it down a bit? I dunno, something needs to be done with, maybe play around with it some more...
<Xion> I can't see it why can't I see it

Offline Robbie

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 02:41:04 am
To add some ideas, I think if you pixel a non-repeating bottom with the rocks being different shapes, heights, depths, etc., and no two being even remotely alike just the width of the screen (but make the ends blend obviously), then when you move left or right you can simply loop it, and the same rock segment will never be seen. This also goes for the top. Also I the single line highlights are like a flashlight being turned on right in front of your eye, its just too bright in contrast to its surrounding colors, and it doesn't really fit. Also, I recommend you do this to the top rocks also, and not just vertically flip the bottom. It is like nature, no two things are the same, nor should they look that way.

Another thing. If the rocks on the bottom are rocks of "doom", does that mean the character does not walk on or touch it (without dying)? If that is not the case, I suggest you thin out the rock layer on the bottom, because then you have more room in the middle for the actual character.

Offline 7321551

• a.k.a. Jarrad
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 04:42:46 am
I thought it looked like Nemo too. There are a number of attributes of a clown fish you could vary to make it unique. Not ornamental things - I mean shape... morphology.
Tell me if you want examples.

Offline HC_Bret_Measor

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 09:44:21 pm
Hey Everyone,

Its been a little while since I've posted anything on this project. But I am back with a recent screen shot. Feedback is always welcomed, and thanks to everyone again who has commented on the project to help it go forward.