AuthorTopic: [WIP] Working on Rocks.  (Read 7576 times)

Offline HC_Bret_Measor

• View Profile

[WIP] Working on Rocks.

on: April 05, 2010, 01:57:14 pm
Hey Everyone,

I am working on a new project, and right now I am working on the underwater rocks of DOOM. I think the structure of the rocks looks pretty good, however a little C&C to make these look even better never hurts. Also, the GUI is still a work in progress.

Thanks for your time.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 03:31:08 pm by HC_Bret_Measor »

Offline Red_Mist

• Not enough pixels in the world.
    • View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

Re: [WIP] Working on Rocks.

Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 12:42:16 am
A couple of things I'de like to say:

I'm assuming that this is an in-game screen shot of some sort of game-maker program? the weird gradient background thing I think has to go, if you really want to have the effect, save it for when your done, just know that its not pixel art and is kinda ugly imo. You probably already knew that this tho :P

The rocks look okay, I think they read a little flat.  Your rocks could use a little more volume, so I did a quick edit to show you what you could achieve with your current palette.

Did this kinda quick just to show you the difference... you could obviously add more layers to give it even more depth like you did.
Maybe add some more scattered rocks in the foreground.. some plant life.. I'm sure you have a ton of cool ideas and I cant wait to see more!

One last thing:i The palette is a bit generic er, Isn't there some contest on PJ about fish games or something? If its a set palette, then omit what I just said :/

While my abilities are still rough around the edges I hope I have helped you in the least.
Good luck to you!

<Xion> I can't see it why can't I see it

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 07:06:48 am
For one, I perfer the original over the edit.
And this topic was posted a long time ago, just look at dates.
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 07:16:56 am
What? It's only a day old. You're crazy.

I definitely prefer Red_Mist's edit on the rocks, he has a clear point on the volume. Same could be done to the above rock layer as well. Also, why not mix it up a little bit? Try tiling different rock formations, maybe add some coral and other plants, to show the underwateriness more.

Planning on making a background?

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 08:07:10 am
Ok i am crazy then.

But why should it be for a contest when nothing in op says it's for a contest?
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline HC_Bret_Measor

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 11:14:58 am
@ RedMist:
   This screen shot provided is from a flash game I am working on. The gradient background is just some filler and it will be replaced by something a little more aquatic feeling. However, the scenario calls for the “hero” to be trapped in an endless cave like structure.  I have a long list of things I still need to create for this game in order to make it feel like an aquatic scene; right now it reminds me of a fish in space. Thanks for your remix, I will take your and attempt to put your C&C to work

@ Lizzrd:
   I just posted this topic yesterday. Thanks for liking my original rocks, but I think I will tackle the rocks with the suggestions provided tonight.  You are right this is not for any competition; this is purely for a flash game that I am currently working on. I definitely have a lot more to go on this project.

@Dr.D:
   I plan on adding at least 3 more panels and a bunch of aquatic set pieces still need to be made. The background will be an underwater cave, which will be developed more tonight.

Here is where we are currently, I’ll have another update as soon as I can put some serious hours into it. Enjoy and thanks for the Feedback.

Offline McClaneGames

• Evan M
    • View Profile
    • NinetySix, Co.

Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 08:08:32 pm
To me, the rocks on the bottom look more like waves than rocks, which wouldn't make too much sense under water.  The shape of the circular rocks is more readable, and I think they'd work better than what you currently have.  If you're trying to make stalactites and stalagmites, then there should be much less of them.

Offline HC_Bret_Measor

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 04:02:45 pm
http://img339.yfrog.com/i/fishgame2b.png/

A remix on the rocks using red_mists idea. I am now stuck on making a nice coral looking background, to go within the cave area I am working on right now too.

I tend to do a 3 layers to my bg. Working on bg 1 right now, but I'm not feeling it to much, I should post it up soon.

Offline Red_Mist

• View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 11:52:01 pm
Just wanted to get your image visible without a hyperlink

I think its a vast improvement even on my edit... which is great... I'm sure it could be taken even further with the help of some of our more experienced artists in here...

Also, not sure if the top rocks are working much to your advantage... if the setting is suppose to be an underwater cave, then we need to think about revamping everything imo.
Maybe just do away with the top rocks altogether.. or instead of layering the top... just show one layer of em. Right now, its just throwing a weird perspective at me... I dunno, maybe Its not... just looks strange.

Curious to see what the coral and other seescapes you come up with, look like!

Offline Koi Kami Mauro

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 02:27:38 pm
The fish looks too much like Nemo  :(

Offline Red_Mist

• View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 12:05:15 am
The fish looks too much like Nemo  :(

Well, if by that, you mean its a clown fish, then uh yeah I guess... but seriously? I don't really think its even remotely an issue...
Personally, I like the fish... its not oooh aaahh amazing or anything, but I think it has potential. Its tough to compete with big iconic characters unless you have some defining characteristics that separate it from the pack (Like Daffy vs Donald), perhaps that's what Koi Kami Mauro is talking about? John Kricfalusi I think refers back to this realm of thought, talking about it in his blog quite a bit.

On a side note... The big Floating rocks, single-lined Highlights, really bother me. Maybe tone it down a bit? I dunno, something needs to be done with, maybe play around with it some more...

Offline Robbie

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 02:41:04 am
To add some ideas, I think if you pixel a non-repeating bottom with the rocks being different shapes, heights, depths, etc., and no two being even remotely alike just the width of the screen (but make the ends blend obviously), then when you move left or right you can simply loop it, and the same rock segment will never be seen. This also goes for the top. Also I the single line highlights are like a flashlight being turned on right in front of your eye, its just too bright in contrast to its surrounding colors, and it doesn't really fit. Also, I recommend you do this to the top rocks also, and not just vertically flip the bottom. It is like nature, no two things are the same, nor should they look that way.

Another thing. If the rocks on the bottom are rocks of "doom", does that mean the character does not walk on or touch it (without dying)? If that is not the case, I suggest you thin out the rock layer on the bottom, because then you have more room in the middle for the actual character.

Offline 7321551

• a.k.a. Jarrad
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 04:42:46 am
I thought it looked like Nemo too. There are a number of attributes of a clown fish you could vary to make it unique. Not ornamental things - I mean shape... morphology.
Tell me if you want examples.

Offline HC_Bret_Measor

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 09:44:21 pm
Hey Everyone,

Its been a little while since I've posted anything on this project. But I am back with a recent screen shot. Feedback is always welcomed, and thanks to everyone again who has commented on the project to help it go forward.