AuthorTopic: No actually that wasn't handled well at all  (Read 3773 times)

Offline Chis

• My name does not have an r
    • View Profile
    • o'er at pixeljoint

No actually that wasn't handled well at all

on: April 05, 2010, 03:00:54 am
I don't know if this belongs here or anywhere, and apologies if it doesn't.
I'm talking about this thread.
For those of you who missed it, Hamburger posted an image that was traced from a picture he found online and utilized layer effects to achieve a pixel-like effect. Of course that's bad in pixel art, but the thing is, he fully described his methods first post, and he really didn't understand what was wrong, and no, he wasn't trolling.
I don't know about you guys, but if you were just starting pixel art, and you posted your first ever piece hoping to get some constructive criticism, and a bunch of people shot you down without proper explanation, how would you feel about it?
I really don't mean to be offensive but I'm just questioning the way that thread went down.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: No actually that wasn't handled well at all

Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 03:08:03 am
The problem is that he deleted his posts so I can't really tell what went down completely. In private Hamburger Prince has been reporting posts by users in this thread so I'm getting e-mails by him on it. I can only judge from stuff like this post by Aimsworth which he says is very very offensive for him, that he's an angry individual. That post is the epitome of civility, even, heh. If he was wronged in the initial posts by 1up, his attitude after that tells me we're probably better off without the drama. After I posted 'cudos for dealing with this okay' (from what I can tell there was no namercalling or witch-hunt or anything) Hamburger Prince mailed me to tell me I am a disgrace. To which I replied 'A disgrace? Seriously? You're pretty harsh!'. His reply to this is to just now log on pixelation again and send me a PM that reads

" You approve?  Really?

You.  Are.  A.  Fucking.  Disgrace."

So is this not trolling? Even if it's just indignant frustration over being mistreated for his first post in the forums, is this the right way to go about it?

Offline Chis

• View Profile
    • o'er at pixeljoint

Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 03:24:52 am
I wasn't aware of that, and I agree that the way he responded may not have been the best way to do it, but I do think we should also take a bit of responsibility for not having tact. Aimsworth's post mentioned trolling and that implied that he wasn't being taken seriously.
From what I remember, his second post went something like "What would make it pixel art?"
His third post I think was where he misunderstood 1up to mean that we start at the pixel level instead of drawing the big picture first, and the pixel art style vs lifestyle thing he mentioned, I interpreted as, he misunderstood the intention of this forum as helping him to achieve a pixel 'look' rather than a pixel 'method.'
His fourth post he commented on 1up's rudeness, which I think was pretty fair given the way he was treated.
I think the reason why he was being so rude to you is because he thought you had read his comments before he deleted them and, as admin, you should have been more responsible, although you had not in fact read them and so perhaps that was another misunderstanding :(
I hope I'm not just being hung up over this incident, but he also PMed me and I kinda understand where he's coming from.

-- edit --- Maybe I should have PMed you about this too, Helm ._.;
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 03:27:44 am by Chis »

Offline 1ucas

• Prolific procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Toxic Dump

Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 03:28:26 am
1up actually explained what pixel art is all about to him, and Mr. Hamburger there actually outright rejected the whole idea (and even ridiculed it a bit). All he wanted were hints on faking pixel art with easier method. So I'm not sure if we would really feel good helping him on that.

Either way, given his attitude, we're probably better off without him around.

Offline Chis

• View Profile
    • o'er at pixeljoint

Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 03:35:50 am
Where did he ridicule it?
For visual purposes some graphic designers do go for the whole pixel look without perhaps understanding what pixel art is really about. I know that you guys hold 'faking' methods in extremely low regard; however, to someone with no former knowledge of pixel art that may not be so. Again I think you guys misunderstood each other just as he misunderstood this forum, but I just think that the reception was a little rude in telling him so.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 04:03:13 am
Yes Chis, it would have been better to send me a PM about it. However I agree that me coming and effectively sanctioning how a situation was handled by non-mods when I could only infer what the other person was saying doesn't send a good message, which is why I've let this thread run. I guess he shouldn't have deleted his posts! Still, I've been repeatedly insulted without any provocation by this guy and at some point I have to remember that I don't owe anyone THAT much good will, you know.

Anyway, a degree of ranting is normal in internet communities but because we've had a few threads packed together as of late I'm going to ask everybody that they remember the 'no rants' guideline. I know a lot of people enjoy internet drama but it tends to sour a community, let's keep it proactive as much as possible.

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 06:10:46 am
From what I'm hearing, the guy is a jackass, but I don't think it was necessary for everyone to dog-pile him. I especially think it is unnecessary for non-mods to jump in and try and enforce the rules. What sense does it makes for a totally new member to say:

Then come back to the topic here and see if you don't have a new perspective on things.  If you still don't get it, maybe this place isn't for you.

I don't think thats civil, I think it's a jackass comment. What right does he to say whether this is the place for someone or not? If someone posts something that doesn't fit the ethos of the forum, then it will just naturally be swept away with no comments. Other then that, simply giving them a link to the FAQ will suffice.

Offline linx

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 06:25:42 am
I think this is kind of blown out of proportion.  Now admittedly some of 1up's posts could have been seen as rash or harsh, but thats the 1up (from reading around the forums) ive come to know. Now to a new guy, he probably took it as harsh but the point is he overreacted.  Most of the other posts we're relatively fine to me.  And as helm said he deleted his posts so its pretty hard to judge what was harsh or not.   On the internet i think we should all brace ourselves to get talked to in a manner you might feel is rude  :)

Offline Chis

• View Profile
    • o'er at pixeljoint

Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 11:57:13 am
Sorry, I overreacted as well. It just irritated me to see someone needlessly lose their temper because we should be a welcoming community here.
Even though it's the internet, that's not a good excuse for being rude. My point is that although yes, he overreacted, we should also take some responsibility for initially attacking him without good reason.
Apologies Helm; you can lock this now.