AuthorTopic: Palette  (Read 17191 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Re: Palette

Reply #40 on: April 02, 2010, 08:35:39 pm
this is getting just silly xhunterko.

1 - no, you've missed the point entirely in regards to his avatar - and I think you know this.  Black and white is no-one's palette.  It can't be accredited to anyone.  Its the equivalent of public domain.  Its a silly argument.

2 - It is no one's job to do this, and you've missed the point entirely again.  People should cite their sources on their *own* good moral standards.  If somebody rips a piece of art, is it someone's job to check every post and cross reference it with every image known to man? no.  People can do it if they want to, and they have.  But it's no one's job.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: April 02, 2010, 08:41:20 pm
" Its the equivalent of public domain"

And every other color isn't?

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #42 on: April 02, 2010, 08:53:29 pm
have you not read any of our points?  we all agree that any individual color cannot be "owned."  But the more indexes you add, the more it becomes an original piece of work - one that is exponentially less likely to be accidentally copied.  Pure black and white has been used by nearly everyone in the world.  The presence or absence of light.  Because of this world-wide acceptance of these specific colors, it cannot be accredited to anyone.

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #43 on: April 02, 2010, 09:14:38 pm
For whatever reason, plagiarism is major taboo in art circles. Getting caught lifting something verbatim can ruin your reputation overnight, so it pays to be safe and always give credit where credit is due, and even give credit when your not sure it's due. All it takes is a single sentence or two to site your sources, so you might as well.

On a related note, companies license colors from Pantone for their logos and sue other companies who use similar colors, whether they intentionally stole the color or not. Pantone basically owns a big-ass color palette and enforces it through trademark litigation.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #44 on: April 02, 2010, 09:17:42 pm
xhunterco is trolling now. I don't mean malevolent trolling like to rile people up or to insult them directly but just attention attention attention trolling. It's not doing the argument or his position any good and I think it's pretty much the right time to lock the thread. I'll let another mod in the case they agree with me do the lockup since I was involved in the debate myself. If they don't agree just let it run.