AuthorTopic: [WIP] Simple platformer  (Read 4716 times)

Offline Dekthro

• View Profile

[WIP] Simple platformer

on: April 03, 2010, 11:10:21 pm
Trying to do this as a simple learning project, been having a hard time with characters, so tried something more basic and smaller. C&C please!  ;D

Lil' update with color/animation change
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 11:52:59 pm by Dekthro »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Simple platformer

Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 12:06:14 am
Looks nice. Basic but effective. Less is more. I'd leave him alone for now and move on to the next thing. Tiles time!

I recommend roughly crafting your world together and refining as you go. DO NOT get hung up on one little thing until you think it's perfect before you'll allow yourself to move on. The inclination to revamp your previous work will always be there anyway. We all improve as we go.

Offline Dekthro

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 12:24:35 am
Great! Thank you for your input. I've been in the IRC and already have made some adjustments, and like where it sits currently.

I'm working on some tiles as well currently.   :)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 02:17:52 pm
brings back memories ...

it's a bit surprising that the "shadowing" remains perfectly in place while the whole head moves. Okay, light sources doesn't move, but the cap and the cheeks should affect the light-to-shadow line.

Offline Varish

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 05:53:27 pm
I don't think the head should move. Why would it? I've seen many walk cycles have the same problem; I guess everyone is copying each other's mistakes because they certainly didn't get it from how people actually walk.

Offline iggybork

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 08:53:33 pm
Well, normally people don't face the camera when they're walking sideways, either... and it's a helluva lot more interesting than the head remaining static like it was in the first incarnation. If every walk cycle Dekthro does has the head bobbing, then you can be worried. As it stands, I think it's a style choice, and it's adorable. :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 08:56:11 pm by iggybork »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 07:02:52 am
@varish: Indeed, you won't have your head twisting when you walk. Instead your *body* twists slighltly. That's something that's hard to render at low scales and thus twisting the head itself is used as a trick to convey the "feel of walk" with your sprite in the same way that you'd do with a move-limitted puppet.

So imho, it fits the retro-minimalistic style nicely, but indeed, you need to be aware that it's a caricature of an actual movement and be wise not to apply it to graphical styles where it doesn't belong. -- somehow, that's seconding iggywork's point.

@dekthro: the change on the eye is a nice improvement. Maybe "angling" the cap of his hat could break the feeling that the hat is fixed though the head moves. I'll try an edit later in the day if I find some time for that.

Offline Dekthro

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 10:46:25 pm

Alright, backed out of the RPG, and now working with a fellow on a exploration/escape platformer. The protagonist is still kind of a WIP, not really finalized, but I wanted to get something down atleast.

General idea of the game is you need to keep your lantern fueled in order to see (will dim, go out otherwise). Planning on adding traps, and baddies as well, but this is what I have thus far (with feedback from IRC).