AuthorTopic: Eyeball Enemy Sprite (AA'ing vs. Sharpness)  (Read 3771 times)

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Eyeball Enemy Sprite (AA'ing vs. Sharpness)

on: April 03, 2010, 10:45:03 pm
Multiple problems.

I've been having some real trouble with careful pixel placements. I haven't seen anyone else really come across this problem (Or maybe I haven't looked hard enough), so I assume there must be some common practices used to eradicate these demons.

The trouble I've had explaining this to so many people now. I can't put it in words very well, so I'll use pictures, instead.

What I'm currently trying to solve is adding a fine highlight (specular?) on the top left spike in the last (wip) frame there. But the line providing the symmetry through the spike has quite irregular steps, making this a bit harder. That is where I'm trying to add the highlight. Refer to the other frames if you still don't know what I'm talking about.

I can't seem to make it look good and smooth without distorting the form of the spike. I think I may have to add a(n) extra color(s)?

Here are some failed attempts:

Maybe I'm being too nit-picky? It's just an animation frame to go in-between the other two key frames.

Now that I'm looking at it, I also fear the spike is too large. I've been having trouble with that as well; trying to get the size and shape right for the spikes, whilst avoiding jaggies, and irregular steps as much as possible.

Also, in the first complete frame there, I feel the top-left spike (what is it with that god damn top-left spike?  :yell:) looks too flat, and I have no idea how to remedy this problem either. I've been toying with it a lot. Both of the sides are meant to receive equal lighting.

One more thing; I suck at choosing colors. I honestly can't tell what looks good and bad. I'm not color blind, but I just don't know. I thought the orange looked alright for the eyeball color, but then I also thought, "Meh, too mono" and changed it towards another warm hue, a lavender color. Also toyed around with some other purples, you can see that in the first image. What do you guys think? And yes, I plan on using mainly warm hues for enemies and colder hues for 'good' sprites, it is for a game. (One of those top-down, scrolling, space-shooters.. like Tyrian.) Good idea or not?

Also, while you're here, I'd also absolutely love any kind of crits or comments on anything you see.. please.

Ugh, I am so long-winded.

(this looked kind of cool.)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 04:55:21 pm by Dr D »

Offline Chrispy

• View Profile
    • Chrispy's dA

Re: Eyeball Enemy Sprite (AA'ing vs. Sharpness)

Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 04:27:14 am

Eh?

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 04:32:00 am
It doesn't look like an eyeball. Looks like a compass rose. It's very well done, though. Good pixelin'.

Offline zez

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 09:58:15 am
Huh... Im not sure there's a good solution to that. I think if its in rotation, and no more then doublesized in game, you could get away with using the third rejected frame just fine, otherwise, Im almost tempted to suggest using another color for a near highlight, but that seems lame seeing as it would only be on 1 or 2 pixels, ever...
Honestly, I have seen allot of sprites that flat out lost there highlights on in between frames, and it wasnt to noticeable (I mean... other then the fact that I saw it... so I guess it was noticeable, but I wasn't like "holy crap that looks awful, look! It lost its highlight in that in between frame!" I mean, I at least wasn't like that after about the third time I did it and my girlfriend rolled her eyes at me... these parenthesis where meant to be more reassuring then they are...)
Otherwise, it looks rad, although it doesnt really read as an eye, you may want to give it a white, or use a color that's totally unrelated to the spikes for the retina or something... Maybe make the pupil round? Probably doing all of those is unnecessary, but experiment.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 11:03:35 pm
That's a great solution, Chrispy, thanks! I had never thought of doing it like that, I guess I was always just thinking too symmetrically.

Thanks for the compliment, Mathias. I was thinking it looked kind of compass-rosey in that last image as well, but I don't mind.  :crazy:

Zez; yeah, I was worrying about being over-worrying. .. I may end up implementing another shade that I can use elsewhere as well, and just to satisfy myself. I'm disappointed though, that it doesn't read like an eyeball. I'll take your suggestions and mess around with it a little bit more.

I'll probably post other sprites here soon.