AuthorTopic: Looking for some comments and critics on a few things.  (Read 5776 times)

Offline Mabelma

• View Profile
After a long time I decided to get back to spriting, to bad I was never good but I think I can be better since I have learned a little more about shading, character design and a lot of things overall but I still need some help. Yesterday I made this little mushroom, and I was hoping to get some C+C on it. I know it's really bad but I want to improve that and everything overall really.

Added the AA to the little guy;'s shading. I may of have done it how it's suppose to be done but I think I didn't, I also added some shading to the middle of his face to indicate his nose but again I may of have done it incorrectly. C+C is greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 02:14:32 am by Mabelma »

Offline Mabelma

• View Profile

Re: Hey, I'm very new at this

Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 08:38:30 pm
1up OMG pokemons thread inspired me to do one too. It's suppose to be infernape, it's still just the lineart and the main colors but I hope you like them, any comments before I start shading? Is not even close to the ones he made but I hope that with your help I can make it look close to his.

C+C is greatly appreciated on both things.

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 08:59:30 pm
Great start on the mushroom. I made an edit that addresses some of the issues.

-I increased the contrast to show depth
-Removed innner-black lines and other unnecessary outlines

Here's something that may be useful:

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 09:00:32 pm
paraphrasing every comment in your art threads on tsr ever:

Slow the hell down. Work on your form and shading before you move onto something else. You really need to improve your technique with.. everything, instead of hopping aimlessly between tons of unfinished pieces that you make no attempt to improve. The least you could do is take some of the advice given to you while working on one of these and try to apply it to another, but you really don't even do that

it's like every time you try something it's you're using your hands for the first time ever

Offline Mabelma

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 09:14:29 pm
Great start on the mushroom. I made an edit that addresses some of the issues.

-I increased the contrast to show depth
-Removed innner-black lines and other unnecessary outlines

Here's something that may be useful:

Thank you so much for the edit, let me get editting and see if I can achieve what you did. Thanks for the tutorial too.

Offline Mabelma

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 09:25:29 pm
I kept the round eyes, cause I wanted him to look a little evil but not as evil as it looked with your eyes, I also remove some of the lines of the dots and fixed the highlighs.
Here's the new one.

Also the green shadow you added to it I felled would look better brown so I did that too. Thoughts? Is the AA on the shading ok?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 09:34:03 pm by Mabelma »

Offline Mabelma

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 12:55:53 am
C+C on the new one? I think I finished it mow but any comments would be greatly appreaciated. If I finished I shall move on to something else, I will not do infernape until I actually learn how to sprite porperly or atleast good enough to be able to do that.

Offline MadHatter

• im nipples the enchilada
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 01:05:08 am
parts of yours are to similar to mush's mushroom. its small, so i know it's hard to do it otherwise but try to make it as much yours as possible.
also, AA would be nice.

Offline Mabelma

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 01:10:49 am
Yeah I guess you are right but as you said it's pretty small and I can't do much to it without making it look cramped but I'll see what I can do. Also I don't really like the darkest shade of the yellow so I'm going to shade that. Also how would I go about adding AA to the outline, without making the outline bigger, cause I want to make it transparent an the usual AA won't work (at least the one I know).  

But do you by any chance have any suggestions on how to make it more unique? Also is the shading on the body ok or should I do sownrhing to it? How would I go about makibg a simple bounce/walk animation?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 01:42:00 am by Mabelma »

Offline Mabelma

• View Profile

Re: Looking for some comments and critics on a few things.

Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 03:02:10 pm

In this edit, I didn't really do much but add some purple below his eyes to show that he hasn't sleep or something like that. I don't know what the name of those dark circles are. I also changed the darkest shade of yellow to a more brownish color instead of the green and I took away the AA on the purple on the top of the mushroom cause it didn't look good.

Is it finished?
How would I go about adding AA to the outline without having to add more pixels beside the black borders cause I want to make it my avatar and the AA doesn't look right when it's transparent.

283 views and 8 replies?