AuthorTopic: [WIP] Fun With Rpg Sprites (Advice Needed)  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Darkling89

• View Profile

[WIP] Fun With Rpg Sprites (Advice Needed)

on: April 02, 2010, 09:20:18 am
     Hi, Im new to the forum and dont know anyone here yet but ill give a small introduction :). I havent been pixeling for long (on and off for about a year).  My hobby is programming and toying with gamemaker, which is what inspired me to start spriting. I enjoy looking at fine pixel art and admiring the graphics of the old NES/SNES game consoles. Saying that i would like to note that i have almost no experience in shading or dealing with palettes and would like some advice on where to start, so please excuse any excess pillow shading.

Enough about me and back on topc :P, At the moment im working on an 48x64 rpg character template which consists of 4 directions with Standing and Walking animations. It isnt for anything serious other than my personal rpg project, which im playing around with and dont expect to get very far but only time can tell (which i have plenty of by the way).

Here is what i have so far:

1: Muscular Build Front View.
     2: Muscular Build Back View.
     3: Average Build Front View.
     4: Average Build Back View.
     5: First quick mockup.
     6: Second VERY quick mockup.

Right now im still getting the front and back view line art how i want it, i plan on multiple body types(Muscular, Average, Skinny) and am having a little trouble with the feet(both front and back views).

Any help would be highly apprechiated!

Offline tetsuya_shino

• Yokosuka, Japan
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Fun With Rpg Sprites (Advice Needed)

Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 01:51:10 am
Howdy. Is there a reason the character is so big? I say that because the bigger sprite the more detail it could and should have. Since you are just starting out, maybe it would be better to try to make a much smaller sprite. If you haven't already you should cheak out Tsugumo's page; http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/tutorials/tuts/tsugumo/  Then find a site that has sprite rips from rpgs and try to study them. Find something you like, tear it apart, find out what it makes it tick, then create your own oringal style. After you've done that, post an update again here. I'm sure people would be more willing to help you then. Good luck. :y:

Offline Darkling89

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Fun With Rpg Sprites (Advice Needed)

Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 01:32:03 pm
     Well i chose a size that i felt confident that i would be able to finish, maybe not soon but like I mentioned in my first post i have plenty of time and there is no sense in rushing things :P.

I took your advice about reading tsugumo's tutorials, which is why my reply is coming a little late. Just to show you I really worked through them ill post what i learned from them (character wise).

Tsugumo's Teachings:
     Unsegmented

Segmented

I decided to go for a female character instead of a male, and even threw in a bow for good measure, Sorry its in a sheet form I use Gamemaker 8.0 and i didnt notice the feature to make a .gif. I know 7.0 had it but if 8.0 does i havent found it yet :(. Any tip on getting rid of the middle segmentation? might not be a problem but it looks a little too segmented to me. (Edit: Nevermind i fixed the segmentation, its a wonder what just a couple of pixels can do)

16x16 still feels a little small to me, ill probaly start with 16x24 in the style of final fantasy VI as to not limit myself to detail too much while still learning how to detail small sprites.

btw thanks for the link it was a great read, you have links to similar articles? cause i really enjoyed that one :y:.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 01:53:02 pm by Darkling89 »