AuthorTopic: Monsters RPG WIP  (Read 4904 times)

Offline Keizgon

• View Profile
    • Keizgon Arts

Monsters RPG WIP

on: March 27, 2010, 03:49:21 pm
Hello,

I don't post on here often so let me introduce myself a bit. I have worked on pixel art since 2005, here and there, mainly to mock up games that I liked. For the past year I have been working on my first actual game project that I call X-Fire. It is based off of a lot of elements from old RPGs, such as Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest from the NES and Mario RPG of the SNES. I always wanted to relive a new RPG that gave a VERY similar feel but striving for its own. While those RPGs were based off the past medieval times, I was trying to recreate something more modern, dark themed.

My problem is, I am not using correct pixel art methods, I'm told. I am also aware of my excess use in dithering, but I enjoy how it adds its own mood to my dark theme. I'm not sure if there are other ways of achieving this theme, and would like to know if there are. I am aware that my light source is inconsistent on separate pieces (monsters) and I have shaded them poorly. I wish I could see if someone more experienced can help me with these issues. Perhaps even redo one of my sprites just to see if I can still achieve the same dark theme I'm striving for, if that's not too much to ask. I would like to learn a better approach to what I am doing wrong.

Please be gentle, I've worked hard and long on designing each monster. :/

Offline Keizgon

• View Profile
    • Keizgon Arts

Re: Monsters RPG WIP

Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 12:11:24 am
115 views...

Anyone?

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 04:16:12 am
Howabout picking just 1 you want to improve and posting that. That way you don't get crit-overload and someone might be more inclined to do an edit.

Offline Keizgon

• View Profile
    • Keizgon Arts

Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 04:48:38 am
Pick any of them, even if it's just one. I don't know which ones need redone or not. I'm not really looking for a design critique, but a shading one. Questions about dithering and such.

I tried reshading one of them though:

It was more of an obvious one since the light source wasn't where I wanted it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 04:51:39 am by KratosX »

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 06:00:04 am
Well first off, pick a background color other then black. It will warp your conception of the brightness level and makes darker colors harder to see.

Try a neutral color like light-grey.

I don't know why you would dither sprites that smal, other then you're running low on colors, which I doubt.

I couldn't tell but I think that's a horse?

Here's an edit with improved shading. Notice the use of highlights on the edges. What your doing there is called "pillowshading". Do a search on that term it's been explained better elsewhere.

Offline Shrub

• Newbie pixel artist.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 11:46:34 am
Hmm. I don't know about any C&C, but those dragon-things look a lot like the creatures out of The Darkness.

Offline Keizgon

• View Profile
    • Keizgon Arts

Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 04:29:47 pm
Well first off, pick a background color other then black. It will warp your conception of the brightness level and makes darker colors harder to see.

Try a neutral color like light-grey.

I don't know why you would dither sprites that smal, other then you're running low on colors, which I doubt.

I couldn't tell but I think that's a horse?

Here's an edit with improved shading. Notice the use of highlights on the edges. What your doing there is called "pillowshading". Do a search on that term it's been explained better elsewhere.

I chose black background because the sprites are going to be placed on it in the actual game I'm making. I'm trying to imitate what Final Fantasy and DQ did from the NES somewhat. I am aware it's bad practice, but I'm doing it for the sake of game design.

For dither, I am trying to lessen it. I thought I could apply it to small objects and get a more "retro" / "dark" theme feel but it seems a bit much I suppose.

Actually...it's a dog, but I guess it's hard to tell since there are so much flames.

Thanks for the C&C, anyway though.

Hmm. I don't know about any C&C, but those dragon-things look a lot like the creatures out of The Darkness.

Never heard of it. I don't even use references...I try to draw creatively. I need to study a little more anatomy though.

edit: I made an update

« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 06:06:45 pm by KratosX »

Offline Cubeshaped

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 09:34:24 pm
I believe the colors you have chosen for some of your sprite are way too dark.  You can't see the very grayest color since the background overpower that color.  I can barely see it on my monitor.  I think the sprite would look much better with a gray background if you want to use darker colors, otherwise people playing this game cannot see the sprite the way it made.  Defender of the Oasis did this for their RPG for the Game Gear. 

You can see the darker colors in this game since it using a neutral background.  It also there to reduce the screen cross talk issue I believe, but it made the enemies in this game look great.  I think you should try to use a neutral background if you're going to use very dark colors for your enemies.  It'll make your enemies more visible. It's hard to see the three headed dragon's and octopus's body due to the black colors and background. 

As for the dithering issue, it's great if you're working with low amount of colors or putting it on rough surface. I'm a fan of dithering.  I really love the look of the green slimy alien monster and dithering I believe helps.  The lime green gremlin looking like, I think the dithering is unnecessary, unless it has scale or bumpy body. 

Overall, I love the design of the monsters.  I think the monster would benefit more with a neutral color background to make them pop-up better rather than hiding in to the shadow.  It's really difficult to see the 3 headed dragon body's when he has very dark colors put into his body.  If you insist on using a black background, I suggest making the colors brighter, then for the monster's darkest color, which is black, into colored darkest color, like color value, 8,8,8 or 8,8,0.  This is my suggestion.  Keep up the good work!