AuthorTopic: RPG stuff [WIP]  (Read 2980 times)

Offline Kidfrommars

• My location? It's kinda obvious..
    • View Profile
    • RPG Land

RPG stuff [WIP]

on: March 26, 2010, 08:26:14 pm
Hi. I'm working on a kinda sci-fi style RPG, and I'm having some trouble.

Here's the image:

and the palette:

The blue thing is supposed to look like a screen. Like computer/TV/cellphone screen.
C&C welcome. I'm not very intelligent when it comes to pixel art terms,  so please try to explain it simply.
Also, I was looking if someone could guide me on how to make female sprites?

Offline Ninja Crow

• View Profile

Re: RPG stuff [WIP]

Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 05:55:12 pm
Hi, KFM!

Hope you are enjoying your time here at Pixelation.

If you want to make a female sprite in the cute style you have going there, my advice would be the following:
  • make the shoulders not as wide
  • make the arms point away from the body like this: /U\ - rather than toward the body like \U/ as you have for the men
  • move the waist to be closer to the chin, which will make the legs longer (which you also need)
And of course, a female hairstyle.  And that should be all you need for the sprite to read as female (if you want to put a skirt on a female sprite, there's room for that with the arms angled out away from the body).

Believe it or not, one of the most fun sci-fi RPGs I ever played was "Secret of the Stars". It was deep and fun and satisfying, yet had simple graphics (compared to what we're used to today) proving that game play was king.  I mention this not to imply that your graphics are too simple, but only to help take the pressure off if you are worried about the strength of your graphics - I think they are strong and cute so far, so you should be able to do just fine!

One tiny critique, though is that the guy's head with the red hair, is too flattened (no room for skull before the hair starts).  I hope that this isn't because you ran out of room for your sprite - you'll need some space for certain animations anyway, undoubtedly, so please think about leaving some room (I'm sure you could make them shorter by removing a line from their shirt).

And I like your signature - even though there is a sad face, I see it as a very positive thing to have the percentage numbers, which can only go up, right? I really look forward to seeing them rise and rise!

Thanks,
JD

Offline Kidfrommars

• My location? It's kinda obvious..
    • View Profile
    • RPG Land

Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 03:22:08 pm
Okay, I made a small update. +Female sprite

Offline Ninja Crow

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 04:53:16 pm
Hey, that's really good!

I do think, though, that it's worth trying to see if the female sprite would look better if the arms were closer to the body: /U\ vs. / U \ - since it needs to look like her elbows are touching her sides, I think.

I like those three guys just fine now, they look like a fun team!