AuthorTopic: Adobe Shinobi [Project]  (Read 4804 times)

Offline TheMonsterAtlas

• View Profile

Adobe Shinobi [Project]

on: October 01, 2011, 04:00:29 am
So...This is my Winter project right here, starting from scratch on a game :]

I've already posted a thread on here in order to get a lot of help on my base which is exactly what I need help on again but instead of posting it in the original thread I felt that I should post the base along with my other works for the project too so I can get not only ideas but a better understanding of how to draw as well as design bodies in 3/4ths perspective but buildings as well as turfs!

So where I last left off, We had a base With a Southern Facing. Today I actually had time to work on my project so I was quite excited. I decided to try and add in the Northern state but also the West and Eastern state. This is where I had my problem...I feel like the Southern state looks extremely empty and that the East and West states look completely anatomically incorrect. I don't know where to go from here since I'm so new to using pixels as a form of art and I'm by far not an artist :/

Base
Old:
New:

Another thing I wanted to post was a building I made as well:

Very Small Reference for building:http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/naruto/images/a/a2/Ichirakuramen.JPG

I think I did an ok Job, it was my first building so I'm pretty happy with it but I know it needs a lot of work. I tried to make it like a weapon show without it saying "WEAPON SHOP" you know? It has a Japanese style to it as well to fit the Shinobi theme of the game. What do you guys think of it?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 12:30:02 am by XLR8ED »

Offline redballoon

• View Profile

Re: Adobe Shinobi [Project]

Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 07:26:44 am
The problem i see with the base sprite is that when facing, the colours suggest a nose or detail between the eyes, but when facing left and right there is nothing and it just looks...weird, i'm afraid. I'd try an edit but replying using my phone. There are plenty of base sprites at similar angle with yours on this forum, so you should check them out.

Offline Shiny

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 03:49:04 pm
Something more like this, perhaps?

The major differences are:
- The head has more discernible topology (as mentioned by redballoon).
- The curvature of the spine is more emphasized, which makes the pose less rigid.
- The outlines are more consistent because, before, it suggested a jagged surface (I think the term for it is "selout", and it doesn't work well in this case).
- Shading differences. The original shading is unfocused. The amount of color banding was also reduced.
- The feet/shoes now more readily "connect" with surfaces (when was the last time you saw convex shoes?).
- The ear was moved forwards.

As for the building:
I can immediately see that the roof overhang lacks overall lighting (under typical circumstances, only one of the sides should be that bright).

Offline TheMonsterAtlas

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 07:26:05 pm
So something along the lines of this?:

I decided to edit it further because the base was looking fat as well as off center and the spine looked horrible.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 10:04:48 pm by XLR8ED »

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 11:42:54 pm
...starting from scratch on a game...

You could have refed influences though :D?

I also assume that this is for Byond...
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline TheMonsterAtlas

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 12:24:42 am
Updated the original post with the new base and @Elk

I don't see why I would have added that to my influence. The only things that look close are the roof shinges and my roof is an open area rather having shingles on it?

Offline TheMonsterAtlas

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 04:23:42 am
Humpy Bumpy

I started on my first status bar. Red and Blue are obvious. Exp, Hunger and Thirst (Hunger and Thirst icons provided by http://spritesandstuff.smackjeeves.com Earth badge has heavy banding so I need help on that one. The Endurance(Red) and Reisudo(Blue) Also have heavy banding :/ as well as the 25x25 circles for exp and thirst. I guess I don't know what to do besides banding?

I made my first mob as well. I decided that going mainstream and having my first mob be a slime was lame, So I made a Box Creature for the first mob in my game.

I tried my hand at Anti-aliasing I think it's called?

Crits please?

I had only done a few icons since my last time here because I've been busy learning how to code for my game as well.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 04:58:53 am
your gradients look very monochromatic and dry.. try adding a shift in the hue to the gradients a little to pump up the visual interest rather than just an adjust to brightness.

Offline Kain Nobel

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 08:38:58 am

This box monster felt flat, so I concentrated on using only the dark and mid tone on the front, the mid tone and highlight tone on top. It still looked flat, so I made the darker tones slightly darker by reducing the red and green in the color scale. In other words, following color theory, darker shades have more of a blue/purple tone to them.

This is a car, right? It looks like you mixed RPG perspective with classic GTA perspective, so I moved the roof back and revealed more of a window visible from the front. The darkest blue was almost indistinguishable from the second darkest blue, so I made the darkest shade a tad bit darker. The anti-aliasing looks decent and I left it on in the edit, but whatever was applied 'outside the box' might look like bad artifacts when the sprite is on a terrain.

These are the simplest of edits, hopefully it will be of some help :y:

Offline TheMonsterAtlas

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 06:52:40 pm

This box monster felt flat, so I concentrated on using only the dark and mid tone on the front, the mid tone and highlight tone on top. It still looked flat, so I made the darker tones slightly darker by reducing the red and green in the color scale. In other words, following color theory, darker shades have more of a blue/purple tone to them.

This is a car, right? It looks like you mixed RPG perspective with classic GTA perspective, so I moved the roof back and revealed more of a window visible from the front. The darkest blue was almost indistinguishable from the second darkest blue, so I made the darkest shade a tad bit darker. The anti-aliasing looks decent and I left it on in the edit, but whatever was applied 'outside the box' might look like bad artifacts when the sprite is on a terrain.

These are the simplest of edits, hopefully it will be of some help :y:

Thank you and...no :'[ it's suppose to be a cell phone for answering messages </3

I knew I should have darkened the box monster because it felt flat to me too, I even tried having the flaps stick out but it just looked like a 2D shield.