AuthorTopic: [WIP] Isometric Fountain  (Read 4427 times)

Offline Jw286560

• View Profile

[WIP] Isometric Fountain

on: March 24, 2010, 09:54:36 am
Hey everyone,

Long time lurker first time poster here! I've recently started working on an isometric city that will be a site map for a website I'm creating. At the moment I'm working on a fountain that will be the central plaza for the city.

However, I'm no good at judging isometric cylindrical objects. :P So am looking for some guidance in that area. Also, I do want the fountain to be shooting water but I have absolutely no idea how to go about putting that in.
Here's what I've got so far.

Any and all critiques are welcome!

Cheers.

Offline Kælaar

• A life without Creativity is a life wasted.
    • View Profile
    • Kælaars Artstuffz

Re: [WIP] Isometric Fountain

Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 03:09:05 pm
Hey =)
Although i am by no means a great artist or for that matter an isometric person at all.
To me the round parts of the fountain look too flat. maybe try expanding them towards the upper part of the tile?
As for the water, are you planning on making it animated? or just static.

another thing that really jumps out at me is the lines on the side of the bottom circle, the brown inner lines where they begin looks like its cutting through the rest.

Also if you want the water to look spiffy, try adding some bright blue lines on the places where the water meets the stone, or gold? =P

Other than that i really like it and look forward to seeing what becomes of it. =D

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 04:51:43 pm
I'ts not a bad start, but I suspect that the fountain is out of perspective.  all circles parallel to the ground plane in Isometric keep a 2:1 ratio.  This means that the areas that are of equal measure will all appear twice as long when parallel to the horizon than they will when perpendicular along the ground plane.

Here's an example, see how the thickness of the border appears twice as wide (east and west) as it is deep (north and south) ?

A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Jw286560

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 06:21:08 pm
Hey guys,

Thanks for the critique and ndchristie for the excellent example, I will make those changes to it and show the result and we'll see where to go from there. :)

Kælaar, the water will just be static I think, I'll see at the end of the creation if I want to make it animated or not.

Offline Alais

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 01:42:01 pm
Hi,

Firstly, I like the style! It feels clean and minimalist, like it belongs in a courtyard surrounded by greek columns or something.

Just a few things, which are shown in the picture below:

- ndchristie is right, the perspective is a bit off. Aside from the 2:1 ratio that has been described, you can judge whether something is the right proportion by measuring the distance from the corners of the floor to the sides of the fountain. These distances should all be equal, and you have a convenient pattern of tiles which shows this nicely. I have added some rulers to show it.
- The fountain itself is an odd number of pixels wide, this means that it can't be properly centred on a canvas that is an even number of pixels wide. This is most obvious when you look at the centreline, which I have highlighted in white, but you will have to zoom to clearly see what I mean.
- The centres of the circles are not all on one axis. The circles on one plane (e.g. the floor, shown in red) should have the same centre.
- (very minor) There are a few stray pixels hanging around on the outside, shown with arrows.

If you construct your outlines starting with the floor, then moving upwards, it is much easier.

Offline Jw286560

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 04:27:04 pm
Hey Alais,

Thank you for your input, that's exactly the kind of thing I want to read/see and will use those and will apply them to my current version of it.

The stray pixels are an error when erasing stuff I didn't like and will be promptly removed.

Cheers!