AuthorTopic: Realistic Skintones  (Read 12759 times)

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Re: Realistic Skintones

Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 01:11:54 am
Thanks people, that helps a lot. Both Radioactive and Neverest's edit's are closer to what i wanted, i'll be studying them. And i agree with the "too yellow" now, Pawige, kinda jumps out after looking at the edits. Both Radioactive and neverest added colors new, that does seem to improve plus the palette changes.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: March 27, 2006, 01:54:20 am

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006, 08:09:22 am
what? helm, that looks like polished plastic.

I think your first one was good, the highlights just need a little saturation, yellow somehow looks greenish when desaturated.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #13 on: March 27, 2006, 08:57:29 am

I fully disagree with Helm's. That's for making your tones look plastic. Read other people's crits.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 08:59:41 am by Andy Tran »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006, 02:49:07 pm
It's oily, of course. Way too many specular highlights, but I think the ramp itself when studied is very vald.

Offline BlackEye

• View Profile
    • blackeye.org

Reply #15 on: March 27, 2006, 02:50:50 pm
It's oily, of course. Way too many specular highlights, but I think the ramp itself when studied is very vald.
i have to agree :D
ignoring the extreme highlights, the palette itself (also the human body in the background) is great
-blackeye-

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #16 on: March 27, 2006, 03:11:05 pm
i have to agree :D
ignoring the extreme highlights, the palette itself (also the human body in the background) is great

It's actually a merman... one of boris valejo's jobs... typical of the old skool demo artists who enjoyed copying anything from album covers to great works of art... (in their own superb way of course)

As far as skin tones are concerned... just do what looks nice... you can edit a pallette forever - with each edit having merits and non merits. Too ansewer the original enquiry however - I think you need to add at least 2 more shades on the darker end of the scale you have.... if you're wanting to avoid dither that is... (but then I think you've reached this conclusion already...)

:)
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Aleiav

• I like my coffee black just like my metal.
    • View Profile
    • Gothiclola (dot) Net

Reply #17 on: March 27, 2006, 11:30:55 pm
study this:

http://www.gfxzone.org/personal/made/01/made-devil_inside.png

I have difficulty choosing skin tones and I don't think that just looking at skin tones really helps you get a feel for chosing the right colors. I never seem to understand or grasp color selection when people explain it so... I don't really think just looking at this would help choosing skin tones, personally. I guess, if you're as hard headed as me, it wouldn't.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #18 on: March 28, 2006, 01:22:57 am
Be less hard-headed then. I didn't say 'look at this', I said 'study it'. This means, download the file, open it up in your paint program, zoom, study the shades, the dithers, the highlights, the aa and everything that goes into Made's choices. Ask yourself questions about the art. 'Why did Made do this here?' Justify choices in different ways. Find out if you agree with them, if yes, cool, add them to your skills, if not, great, you know what not to do. Nobody ever would call styding a piece by Made a waste of 10 minutes, for christ's sake.

I don't think that just looking at skin tones really helps you get a feel for chosing the right colors.

It's not the only way, but I feel studying art you like, as well as reality is a great way to memorize and codify the processes that you then use in your own art. If this doesn't work for you, and you say you don't grasp colour selection when people explain it to you either... I don't know what will help. Perhaps you shouldn't be so certain study and practise doesn't work, and you should do much, much more of them before you throw your hands up in despair?

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #19 on: March 28, 2006, 03:51:22 am
 That would be fine. Helm's guide can help. Use whatever reference that is best.