AuthorTopic: Realistic Skintones  (Read 12822 times)

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Realistic Skintones

on: March 25, 2006, 03:37:25 pm

I'm trying to reach a realistic set of skin tones for pictures of larger dimensions, without resorting to dithering. Any suggestions? Does this need more inbetween colors? H/S/L changes? I've used 4 colors for the skin here.

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Re: Realistic Skintones

Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 06:23:57 pm
A few minutes of playing around with the colors brought me to these:

I wish I could explain exactly why I chose which colors, but I pretty much just played with them until it looked good to my eyes. Try to think about all the things going on: there's light scattering around inside the blood and translucent skin, making it look like it's almost glowing; there's light bouncing off as if it were very reflective when you look at an angle; and there's the simple diffuse highlights that appear where ever the light hits.

http://www.gfxartist.com/upload/features/tutorials/14030 Here's an excellent article, with lots of information, which I probably didn't even follow.  :P

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 01:56:38 am
Why wouldn't you "resort" to dithering?

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 03:01:02 am
i did a basic dither of the first pallette.
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 03:04:10 am

animation?

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 03:06:09 am
Style? Attempt to test out your skillz?

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 05:31:21 pm
Pawige: i'm familiar with Ron Lemen's lesson about skin tones, and with the basic "physics" going on and under the skin. You can see i've given the part that receives the most light a yellowed tone (a tone caucasian skin has, because of underlaying fat) and lower saturation caused by the direct light, and the midtones and dark shades are tinted towards red from light scattering under the surface and shining on blood and muscles under the skin layer.
Having said this, i don't think your edits are "realistic" at all, they head more towards a cartoon look. The first edit comes close, the lighter color conveys a good tanned feel, but not even red skinned people look like this (only if the lightsource was a setting sun). On the blue tintings on the darkest part, i assume these are secondary lightsources, they do bump up the other colors but in my original i was going for just one lightsource (i'll do more once i fell i have this thing under control). The second and third edits just feel totally off.
It's interesting that after looking at your edits, the lighter color i've used looks like a green, didn't look like that before.
Thanks for the critics.

I don't want to be limited to a single technique, i want options.

Offline neverest

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 08:09:54 pm
I think with a bright directional light like this the shadow would be quite a bit darker. also I think the pallete should gradually red-en more before dropping into the shadowey browns. This is just a combination of personal observation, and also studying paintings.

Ok I tried an edit. I found what I wanted worked best with one more colour:

I didnt edit the image properly I just kind of crammed the colour between to illustrate, but I think the pallette works well for realism.

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #8 on: March 26, 2006, 08:24:01 pm
I definitely see what you mean about mine looking cartoony, I wasn't sure if you were looking for photorealistic, or just believeable skin tones. After studying some photographs with people in them, it looks like I went a too red and saturated, and you went a bit too yellow and unsaturated. A 50-50 blend between my edit #1 and your original would probably come up with some reasonablely accurate colors. Neverest's edit is quite good, though still a tad jaundiced looking to me.

Offline Radioactivity

• rawr
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 26, 2006, 08:43:46 pm
here is my edit to the party.
Like Pawige said, I just kinda mixed his first edit and neverest's edit and came out with a pleasing pallete, one I'll be using in the future :)