AuthorTopic: tomatohead  (Read 4324 times)

Offline Red_Mist

• Not enough pixels in the world.
    • View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

tomatohead

on: March 20, 2010, 10:18:23 pm
its a tomato... head thing...

heres the anim I'm going 4

and here is where I need some help or direction... I'm once again struggling with shading so I want to get it right before finishing this up.

In the end, I would like to make this 2x and use it as my avatar. Thanks!

small update suggested by my brother...
and then...

« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 03:01:30 pm by Red_Mist »
<Xion> I can't see it why can't I see it

Offline alspal

• alastair
    • View Profile
    • My games and things

Re: tomatohead

Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 01:14:06 am
Why do you only have a black outline on the top half?

Offline McClaneGames

• Evan M
    • View Profile
    • NinetySix, Co.

Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 02:38:26 am
I think he wants to focus on the shading, and once that's done, he'll move on to coloring the animation.

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 11:35:08 am
Best thing to do would be to get some tomatoes and sketch them experimenting with different light sources and directions.
Don't pixel until you're feeling familiar with how tomatoes behave with light.

Second best: google some refs. In both cases, sketch lots before pixelling.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 01:44:46 pm
Is there any reason for the way the animation is so far? Do you have an aim of what the animation is showing? It seems a bit odd to me at the moment, i'd suggest having a clear understanding of what you're trying to make with the animation. Sortof looks like he's making the noise of an alarm heheh.

Offline Red_Mist

• View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 03:45:11 pm
Why do you only have a black outline on the top half?
No reason really, I'm colorblind and I thought the transition looked okay. After talking to a few more people about it, they said either outline all of it in black or do away with it completely... so I got rid of all black except the eyes... altho, I think I'm leaning toward changing the eyes as well.

I think he wants to focus on the shading, and once that's done, he'll move on to coloring the animation.
Yup, thats about right.

Best thing to do would be to get some tomatoes and sketch them experimenting with different light sources and directions.
Don't pixel until you're feeling familiar with how tomatoes behave with light.

Second best: google some refs. In both cases, sketch lots before pixelling.
Very good idea. I will try a few tomatoes on paper today before I start... maybe upload what I come up with. I'm sure what I can do on paper will be more realistic than what I intend to do with this animation. I want it to be a bit more cartoonish.. after all it does have eyes and a mouth. But its a great idea and worth the time to do.

Is there any reason for the way the animation is so far?
Not really, I drew a picture of a head, thought it looked neat and wanted to animate it. I actually wanted to make a jelly like alkalines or Jads avatar but a couple things happened. 1)I didn't like how it was turning out. The technique they used was a bit more complicated then I had first imagined. 2)The forum has enough jelly's on it. You can say they were an inspiration for the animation tho.
Do you have an aim of what the animation is showing?
Uhg, your not gonna like my response to this question...
Short, No.
The aim at first was subtle movements. rather than scrapping it completely, I decided to add in a few more frames to see what it would look like and I liked it. :/
I basically started with three key frames on paper. the first one basic perspective. The second one he was looking up. and the third was a front view. I imported it and pixeled it
It seems a bit odd to me at the moment, i'd suggest having a clear understanding of what you're trying to make with the animation. Sortof looks like he's making the noise of an alarm heheh.
Your right Larwick. I didn't have a main idea as too what I was trying to achieve. Truth is, I sketched out a silly head on paper and I thought it might look neat animated.
I should probably work on polishing my ideas a bit more before diving into a piece. Its hard to do when you have an itch to pixel something! :D

Thanks for all the questions on this Its giving me alot to think about.
All in all tho, I am learning alot so far with this one, I hope that it can teach me a few things about volume and shading. If I can pick up a few animating tips along the way, more power to me!

Offline Red_Mist

• View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 04:15:39 pm
Well, I think I'm a bit closer to completion on this...

I learned some things the hard way.
The biggest thing, is to polish your lines first then fill in the details...

I noticed by not doing that, I had to go back and tweak and tweak and tweak, and even with this version, I'm noticing some weird jadedness, most notably on the green part toward the bottom.

The shading I think is pretty good, It doesnt read flat to me.. and this is a first. Was thinking about changing the shape of the cheek highlight to push the tomatoes roundness a bit further, but I'm not sure if that would do it or not.

well, here ya go!