AuthorTopic: Spaceship  (Read 2625 times)

Offline Bkeegan

• View Profile
    • FrozenOrange

Spaceship

on: March 20, 2010, 03:58:58 am
I made this in about 30-45 minutes. I did this just for kicks but I would appreciate any c&c.

The palette is a little sloppy. I used 31 colors, probably could trim it down if I wanted to.
I'm less than excited with the lasers.

Images posted under this account are property of Frozen Orange, inc unless stated otherwise

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Re: Spaceship

Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 04:02:11 am
I like it!  :y:

The only thing I dont care for the thrust flame palette -- instead of having lighter reds, maybe use yellows or oranges? That'll give it a more dynamic feel.

The lighting on the fins is wonderful.

Offline Bkeegan

• View Profile
    • FrozenOrange

Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 04:08:45 am
Oh good call on the engine flame colors. I was studying explosions last night and I remember seeing that. Red to orange to white, so there's a slight hue shift. The one in the original post only adjust values so the light shades end up being pink.

I tried this change, give it a more "flame" feel to it. I also slightly tweaked the hue (just a tad towards orange) on the fin shading to match the engine flame color change. It still feels like it's missing something though...

« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 04:10:19 am by Bkeegan »
Images posted under this account are property of Frozen Orange, inc unless stated otherwise

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 07:24:39 pm
The orange is definitely an improvement to the fire, but I think it could be adjusted even further so that it transitions much more smoothly with the red -maybe let the orange be your transition, and expand the lightest color of the thrust to be your only highlight.

I'm also counting a lot of extra blues in there that are awfully close to one another -- the number of colors you use is your call, but if you want to reduce your palette, you can always mix-and-match some of those blues.