AuthorTopic: Robo Iso - inspired after seeing neverests  (Read 7762 times)

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Robo Iso - inspired after seeing neverests

on: March 25, 2006, 05:45:50 am
Thought id give it a go.  Very WIP

« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 07:00:35 am by Sohashu »
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Re: Android Iso - Inspired by neverest.

Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 06:59:56 am

The arms outside covers the hand.  Thats why you dont see anything. 

« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 07:26:30 am by Sohashu »
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline Nix

• when life throws you pixels.. make pixelade
    • View Profile

Re: Robo Iso - inspired after seeing neverests

Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 12:23:43 pm
i dont think its looks like a robot much.. the angled areall out aswell. like the legs compared to the chest.

too many colours aswell.

nothing like neverests if that what you were tryingto get at.
Nixel Art

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 02:14:51 pm
You need to CONSTRUCT. ???

This WIP has no notion of construction. Are you drawing this freehand without any concern as to what you're wanting the final result to be? You need to have a good idea of that in mind. Look at what neverest has done and follow his lead.

Neverest's demonstrating a good process so follow it so if that's what you're inspired by then follow it. There's no point haphazardly moving on with something, posting it here, before you've even had time to nail your design and construction and even thought process.

These droids and this perspective require you to be more of a draughtsman than an artist, technical drawing is what counts here. (to begin with) - once you've the basic forms nailed THEN you can start pixeling in the detail but not prior - it's a waste of time.

It seems you have an idea for a head... but nothing else is really that inspiring - there's the beginnings of something but you'd be better off going back to the drawing board and hammering out some concepts first;

Read my comments here -http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=1007.0

Study neverest's fine examples and understand his process...

Then try again.

Sorry to be so blunt.

Pete
 :-\
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 03:58:32 pm
You need to CONSTRUCT. ???

This WIP has no notion of construction. Are you drawing this freehand without any concern as to what you're wanting the final result to be? You need to have a good idea of that in mind. Look at what neverest has done and follow his lead.

Neverest's demonstrating a good process so follow it so if that's what you're inspired by then follow it. There's no point haphazardly moving on with something, posting it here, before you've even had time to nail your design and construction and even thought process.

These droids and this perspective require you to be more of a draughtsman than an artist, technical drawing is what counts here. (to begin with) - once you've the basic forms nailed THEN you can start pixeling in the detail but not prior - it's a waste of time.

It seems you have an idea for a head... but nothing else is really that inspiring - there's the beginnings of something but you'd be better off going back to the drawing board and hammering out some concepts first;

Read my comments here -http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=1007.0

Study neverest's fine examples and understand his process...

Then try again.

Sorry to be so blunt.

Pete
 :-\

A spoon full of sugar makes the medecine... go down.

Anyways, I think baccaman pointed out the main problem. At sizes that large, you can't really wing it and expect to get through. :D
(I speak from personal experience... *shudders*)
What I (No, it's not standard probably) would do: Choose a vanishing point, use boxes to help construct the robot, and if curved surfaces are wanted, then carve them into the robot once the basic form is established.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 05:00:40 pm

Indeed... apologies for being overly blunt... got a bad hangover.  ::)
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 06:58:15 pm

Anyways, I think baccaman pointed out the main problem. At sizes that large, you can't really wing it and expect to get through. :D
(I speak from personal experience... *shudders*)
What I (No, it's not standard probably) would do: Choose a vanishing point, use boxes to help construct the robot, and if curved surfaces are wanted, then carve them into the robot once the basic form is established.

...Iso doesn't have a vanishing point though.

Offline neverest

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 07:15:30 pm
well I must say it very nice to inspire anything.
I can pretty much echo the advice given here already. The bots I did were really a practice in planning and using a logical process, and I think it was success in that goal that made them a success as peices.
I can certainly recommend before all else, taking a sheet of real paper and just doodling a few ideas, and getting a basic design in mind before making any pixels.

The beauty of working with something like a robot I guess is that the anatomy is all up to you, but its still a good idea to make sure it all makes sense, and think about his stance.

baccaman21's certainly right in saying you should initially aproach any complex iso work as a technical drawing.
As such I've made a quick image below to show how I might aproach planning your current design.

First of all draw some iso guidelines like I've done . You can do a few or make a whole grid. Remember lines in this isometric style go along two pixels for every pixel they move vertically - this ensures everything looks smooth and things line up nicely.

Take a different colour and just roughly sketch out your design. it will help a lot to draw what you wont see in the final image - see how Ive draw the back edge of the feet and the rear shoulder, and I've used coloured marks to plan where the joints will be. The lines dont have to be neat here but get your mesurements as accurate as posible.

One good general drawing tip is, if a line looks out of place, draw the replacement before erasing the wrong one.

Another thing to remember at this phase is, Isometric means "equal measure". Take this literally, it means there is no vanishing point, and assuming the stance is roughly semetrical, if one arm/leg/whatever is so many grid spaces high/wide, then so should the other.
for an example of this look at the knee caps below, see how they both line up to make each leg two grid spaces high, and one wide.

Once you have a basic drawing like this take another colour to draw your final lineart/outline over the top. obviously smooth out any lines, and if any lines can easily be converted to one of the 'perfect pixel' lines without distorting the proportions, do so.

Once thats done you can finally start thinking about lightsourcing, colour and detail. I hope some of this helps.

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Reply #8 on: March 26, 2006, 08:23:30 pm
Hey! neverest is very interesting the process, thanks for post  ;D

I saved this, and try to make in other time an isometric robot.

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 05:23:31 am
thanks for the crits.  I wasnt happy with the legs and i wasnt trying to make it look like neverests.  I just thought that it would be a fun challenge to try myself.  And i got rid of the legs and im starting over.  I did at school and i didnt send it home so ill have that up tomorrow.  And i dont usually do iso; i just practice my shading and stuff on side view and other things.  And the colour count is a tad high and ill work on that in the future.  Im still a newbie (December 10th is when i did my first work) so i appreciate any tips at all you can give me.