AuthorTopic: Akira's SS. Picnic under the sleeping robot in the mossy forest.  (Read 10509 times)

Offline Jad

• View Profile
Just to sort it out - I gave the girl black outlines because I wanted her to not belong. It works for me, and is intentional - but I see that it doesn't work for most of you. Well, it is odd, definitely ' U '
' _ '

Offline FrostPumpkin

• View Profile
    • Tumblr
Hehe, first time i saw it I felt the little girl as a kind of humour touch, But it breaks the epicness of the piece
The ligheting ambiance is...Aw...awesome  :'(
<3

Offline 7321551

• a.k.a. Jarrad
    • View Profile
Something just occurred to me about the rocks - if they were more angular & contrasty they might detract attention from the robot, ie. the focal point... as it is, with the big leap in value taking place in the center, the image does a pretty good job of drawing your eyes to the right places.

.. like that eye. Man I draw skewed. Ffff. Thanks for pointing it out, 7321551. (how would you go about choosing that nick!? srsly)
Random & guaranteed to be available. Call me Jarrad if you like. that's my real name. :)

Offline Nystre

• View Profile
    • PixelxCore
I actually quite like how out of place the girl is compared to the rest of the image! I can't quite put my finger on it, but it reminds me of a particular game. Probably not just one particular game, but several; There is something I have always adored about characters contrasting the background greatly. Giving the characters a more simplistic and possibly even more cartoonish look while making the background deeply detailed and immersive just works for some reason. Maybe many people disagree with me, it's really just a preference of mine, but I find the concept utterly enticing. The way the characters stand out kind of makes them their own thing, which makes environments like these have this wonderful feeling of discovery, because a character so out of place looks like they have just stumbled upon the scene.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery
Looks great, you did the background for a nice picture, now where is the foreground ???

This reminds me of an old animated movie with a giant robot and a few kids ( kid? ), but I forgot the name.

You mean, The Iron Giant, maybe?

Thanks for the praise, guys, feels great to hear that the atmosphere is what people enjoy.

The atmosphere is what really brought me in, yes. This piece tells a story like nothing else (although I'm actually one of those people that enjoys seeing what ACTUALLY happens rather than what could happen, I don't like everlasting cliffhangers) the soothing and calming greens put my body at a state of rest and comfort, they let my mind wander without distraction into the unknown depths of nature. That's how it makes me feel.

I love, love, the little sparkles you added in the rays of light. Little things like this really improve a piece like this a whole lot.

I agree with Nystre and yourself, and love the girl, AND her style, but in terms of atmosphere only, she really does break it.

She's having some sort of kitschy picnic in some sacred forest, what's up with that anyway.

I feel like this would be a great part of an intro. Cute little girl, without a care in the world, wanting to have a little tea party with her stuffed animal(s) (make!) and wanders into the forest to find a nice place. She probably doesn't even realize what she's sitting on/in front of, or just has no care. Maybe she just doesn't know. Then, who knows what will happen next, she'll probably accidentally awaken the robot, maybe it will try to exterminate her, but they end up becoming the best of friends.. ! I'm pretty sure I've seen/read that somewhere before, though..

I agree with EyeCraft on everything but the rocks. If they were any more boosted up, they'll compete with the robot for attention. There's contrast in sharp lines and angles, and softness and blobiness. I think it's in perfect harmony right now. Btw, I have the same dilemma as you when it comes to rocks. D:

Sorry.. Wasn't much of a crit! This piece is excellent.

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile
Hey! how did I miss this thread?

I actually love the little girl and the way that she doesn't belong. Atmosphere is made to be broken :})

No crits from me, just love <3. This is above and beyond my wildest SS dreams. I should really get around to fixing my gift for Dex.

thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile
Reminds me of this movie:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Iron_Giant

Not a bad thing, cause it's an awesome movie.
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline Jad

• View Profile
Hey! how did I miss this thread?

I actually love the little girl and the way that she doesn't belong. Atmosphere is made to be broken :})

No crits from me, just love <3. This is above and beyond my wildest SS dreams. I should really get around to fixing my gift for Dex.

Ooh, I like how you like the main THING about the piece, since it's for you!

Yeah, seriously, this one is like, just print it out or something, hang it on your wall, it's yours <3 TO YOU BRAH, TWO U
' _ '

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery
This piece was such a shock when I first saw it in Secret Santa. One of my fav pixels ever.
Don't change a thing. Just upload it to PJ so I can rate it, max points.

(Sorry, useless ass-patting)

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14966.htm
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile
    • Chris Kelsall's Pixel Portfolio
The robot inLaputa from Castle In The Sky? I really like it, do you have a ref?
I don't like the contrast between the bushes and the moss/grass.
☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!