AuthorTopic: Ken portrait WIP  (Read 16742 times)

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Ken portrait WIP

on: March 24, 2006, 01:48:02 am
it just started with a sketch in geography the other day.. didnt think I'd take it as far as I already have and now the messed up anatomy is really bugging me

Ive never really studied anatomy or anything before.. so any help or advice would be greatly apreciated

edit:

come a loooong way
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 05:35:52 am by .TakaM »
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Re: Ken portrait WIP

Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 01:50:29 am
 Looks good. You should use 16 colors or 15 colors to give it a gba, snes, etc look.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 08:02:47 am
been working a little today on the arm and fist:

any advice greatly appreciated
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 08:12:14 am by .TakaM »

Offline SplatPixel

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 08:26:49 am
lookin good... very nice. i really like how ur shading is coming out, no crit yet. just an idea, you could have a hadoken ready in that other hand, and also use the hadoken as a nice light source. looks great so far man, please finish.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 09:02:37 am
although its a pretty cool idea, its a lot of work I'd have to redo and since streetfighters portraits have never been in an uppercut or hadoken as you suggest, so yeah :P

shoulder's been popped out more.. big improvement
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 09:15:15 am by .TakaM »

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 09:15:33 am
It's looking great so far. As far as the anatomy goes, I'm having a bit of trouble trying to figure out whats going with the jaw line. There seems to be a line, or stress line, on the jaw that kinda looks awkward. Other than that, it's looking great. I'm just hoping that his right arm will get changed in the future, cuz it's looking a little funky right now...
my back hurts...

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 09:25:48 am
It's looking great so far. As far as the anatomy goes, I'm having a bit of trouble trying to figure out whats going with the jaw line. There seems to be a line, or stress line, on the jaw that kinda looks awkward. Other than that, it's looking great. I'm just hoping that his right arm will get changed in the future, cuz it's looking a little funky right now...
mmm i get what you mean with the line on the jaw, i dunno when i drew it at first you could still see the jaw line then i blacked the neck and it merged in.. doesnt really bug me tho i like it :P
and yeah i know the right arm is really messed up the muscles are in the exact wrong place XD

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 09:44:00 am
it just started with a sketch in geography the other day.. didnt think I'd take it as far as I already have and now the messed up anatomy is really bugging me

Ive never really studied anatomy or anything before.. so any help or advice would be greatly apreciated

process animation:

Hey Takem... Looking good but It strikes me the intial sketch needs tightening up before you move on to the pixels IMO.

Your initial sketch demonstrates how to draw surface form. There's nothing wrong with working like that however it does help if you can begin to look through the surface as you're sketching. Define the underlying structure and work up from there helps a lot. Adding clothing, hair and other surface detail at the end. By doing this you manage to build form and structure into the final image giving it weight and solidity.

When doing the initial sketch you need to start looking through the form. Rough in the line of the spine, then cross that with a line indicating your shoulder postition. These two line should be enough to give a flow to the drawing. Give you an idea of general postioning and posture. Once you're happy with that, move on and begin to Visualise the main masses in spheres. I usually begin with the head - focusing on seeing the postion of the head in particuilar the eyes and eye postions, then work backwards. Neck, clavicles, shoulder mass, throrax, abdomen. Always revising the intial sketch as you go.

Bottom line is you HAVE to SEE the masses that make up the underlying structure. Feel your way around the sketch. Using your own body as reference if you get a bit confused. (A mirror sometimes helps here)

Here's a scribble I did based on your intial sketch... it's not perfect by any strectch of the imagination, but should give you a better idea of the process.

Cheers
Pete :)
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 10:36:10 am
yeah I know what you mean.. i hate to admit it since the anatomy on the intial sketch was pretty terrible but i did first do a rough sketch with basic bone and muscle structure then traced over  :-[
didnt really bother me too much coz its just like I can move things around on the computer and fix things easier rather than keep drawing until i get it right

i just drew a pose i thought had potential, i still have a few things left to fix but Im very happy with how its turning out :)

thanks for all the advice, I'll be sure to keep it in mind next time ;)

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 10:58:09 am
I  hate doing this. Giving constructive critiscism always seems to offend ppls when i do it

The left arm(our right) looked warped from my point of view.  And you need a few dark skin tones as the dropoff seems sudden.  I mean the skin dark, not greyish.

I edited the arm to show what i mean.   
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.