AuthorTopic: Deep Blues Gang lineup  (Read 10359 times)

Offline KaiserFate

• View Profile
    • My deviantArt

Re: Deep Blues Gang lineup

Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 04:44:38 am
Yeah okay I'm officially getting really confused because it seems like everyone is contradicting each other with my critiques, lol.

Offline 7321551

• a.k.a. Jarrad
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 05:08:26 am
There doesn't need to be a consensus. If a crit is correct, it'll make you say to yourself "Oh! Right! That makes sense." May the best crit win.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 10:36:15 am by 7321551 »

Offline KaiserFate

• View Profile
    • My deviantArt

Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 07:11:28 am
There's doesn't need to be a consensus. If a crit is correct, it'll make you say to yourself "Oh! Right! That makes sense." May the best crit win.

In any case I've come away from this thread so far with vastly improved skills so I hope I didn't sound ungrateful just before. Thanks to everyone for your awesome insights, they've really helped!!

Offline Trub

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 07:50:57 am
Basically, all you have to remember is that whatever looks best with your game. That is the most fundamental point that as 7321551 pointed out is being forgotten. There shouldn't be a clear-cut practice to doing pixel art, it is more about what you do to make your pixel art look the best. I'm guessing you've given up on the first three guys but some problems with your sprites is that the outlines appear jagged. This is how to avoid without expanding your pallette/black outlines but there are other things to help. Some of your black lines could be improved by making them more uniform (check out Derek Yu's tutorial it aims to create something similar to what you are doing now but not 8-bit). For example, your robot's orange shoulder and hat are really quite jagged. I know your trying to get the right shape but I think you can still improve the lines. In addition, some of your shading emphasizes the disjoints in your lines, for example the knight guy's arms look extra jagged/parts of his jacket. The pawn guy (I'm guessing) had been shaded better than the others as the light source is more angled as KittenMaster suggested. Also, a point that KittenMaster said is that grey is generally avoided in art, though there are alot of exceptions so consider this with your sprites, personally, I don't think it's much of an issue. Finally, the the pawn guy looks as though he is diseased with those stray pixels (it works with the others).