AuthorTopic: [WIP]Sprites for a game  (Read 24646 times)

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Re: [WIP]Sprites for a game

Reply #30 on: March 25, 2010, 11:43:20 pm
When animating, think of the sprite as a ragdoll instead of just individual parts like arms ,torso and legs.
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline G_Dragon

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: March 26, 2010, 12:59:37 am
The gun should actually push the guy back from recoil. If you want a good example of people firing guns, check out youtube or some place like that. Also, adding to the ragdoll comment, try to picture what forces are acting on the character and gun. For example, the rifle is pushing back as the bullet is going forward, which is pushing anything that it is in direct contact with the gun back (chest and hands), and any limbs that are connected to that is reacting and this chain reaction happens all the way to the ground. Also, remember that the force should dissipate through out the body as the joints dampen the gun's force.

In other words, study clips from youtube until you see what is happening there. Or, if you know anyone with access to a gun and a gun range, then see if you can go with them and learn how shooting looks.

Offline jbeave

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: March 26, 2010, 04:09:01 am
When I try the "ragdoll" thing, I don't know how to make it look realistic. But is this any better?

I made the top part move a little, but when I try to make anything else move it looks weird.

Go check out my deviantART: jbeave.deviantart.com
"Project R.E.I.K.I." game progress: 1% (w00t)

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: March 26, 2010, 06:52:35 am
If you want the gun to seem powerful you'll need more kick-back than that.

As for it looking odd when you try other forms of recoil, trial and error! Eventually you'll get it just right. ;)

Notice that I put in an emphasis on the shot, where the gun moves back really fast, and keeps moving back for a couple frames, I even made the world shake a bit to show the power of the gun.

The whole body should move back, not just the torso, guns have a lot of kick-back.

Offline jbeave

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: March 31, 2010, 02:57:34 am
I gave up on the gun for now and went back to the first character, a running animation:

I've remade this thing 3 times now. First time I made it too big (legs, everything), second time I made it too small, and I did something stupid the third time...I re-sized the small one in Paint...and then it wouldn't undo anything so this is what I'm stuck with. I can't keep it the same style as the standing pose no matter what I try.

Thiis looks wrong, and I know it's the 5th frame because that's the one I had the most trouble with. I just can't get it to look right. I wanted to get some C+C so I can hopefully fix it.

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Reply #35 on: March 31, 2010, 04:45:44 am
Here's something I made that may be helpful:

Offline zez

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: March 31, 2010, 09:27:19 pm
So first off, runs are friggin hard, you can look at my ongoing thread if you get discouraged. Iv been on that same animation for like a week now. That being said, The biggest issues Im seeing are 1 inconsistent limb sizes, 2 the arm comes up to high in the forward motion, when it bends the elbow. 3. Timing, thats easy, just slow it down a little, annndd lastly, you dont have a solid frame for the legs crossing over, so it just looks like he's kicking forwards and backwards at the same time, over and over again, without switching legs. I get that he is, because the shading changes slightly and the crotch moves back and fourth, but I can only tell thats whats going on because I made almost the exact same mistake when I started on mine.
Oh, this is unrelated, but on the sprite of the enemy with the mega buster, it looks like he's punching himself in the face every time he shoots... It does look kinda like recoil, just like the recoil is forcing the gun to hit him in the head over and over again.

Offline jbeave

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: April 03, 2010, 04:17:22 am
@Mush: At first glance I thought that would solve all my running problems but that did not help me AT ALL. It's a nice example but I didn't learn anything from it, besides arm and leg movement. Plus it's like 10 frames long, and I'm trying to keep mine around 6.

@zez: OMG this animation has made me consider giving up several times already, but I'm still pushing forward..barely. I've tried to fix some of the points you brought up except for the legs looking like they're kicking, how should I approach that?

But here's an update, I think it's a little better than my first one. I think I've got my head positioning all wrong, I'd sort of like comments on that too.

Edit: Added a v2 animation, darkened the back leg so it stands out more, does it look better that way? I'll need to adjust the shading but just wanted to know before I go ahead with it.

v1:
v2:

And I just HAVE to say it. I'm amazed at how many views this topic has (over 2000) and with only about 30 posts. I wish more of those people would give C+C rather than just lurk. =/
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 04:55:02 am by jbeave »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #38 on: April 03, 2010, 04:49:48 am
Mush, you need torso rotation in that anim.

jbeave, your run anim looks crazed. I can't tell what he's doing. Going backward or forward? I just see a buncha flailing limbs.

Offline linx

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: April 03, 2010, 06:47:02 am

Suprised no one has posted this yet  :o It's a commonly used animation reference around pixelation  ;D