AuthorTopic: [WIP]Sprites for a game  (Read 24647 times)

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Re: [WIP]Sprites for a game

Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 03:54:49 pm
the way you're using my blur frame only makes it slower

also graphics gale is too close to paint to be outside of anyone's comfort zone! Like you know you choose colors and then you paint with them! But you color select with the right click. And you bring out the marquee/move tool by right-clicking! And that's all you need to actually pixel! ' 3 ';, I don't see what's uncomfortable about it except for .. how it might look or something

Also you can animate in free graphics gale, but you can't save as .gif O:
' _ '

Offline Photocopier

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 03:58:35 pm
You can animate, then export the frames and put them back together with another program  ;D

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 04:33:04 pm
You CAN ofcourse download the 30 day trial version and if you like it buy it.
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline jbeave

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: March 24, 2010, 04:54:51 pm
the way you're using my blur frame only makes it slower

How about doing it this way?

I got rid of a frame before the blur, makes it a little faster but I can't help but feel like it's a little "off".

I might give Graphics Gale another try, but I'm not really into learning another program right now. I'd rather not buy it either for the same reason..

Go check out my deviantART: jbeave.deviantart.com
"Project R.E.I.K.I." game progress: 1% (w00t)

Offline BwdYeti

• Emo Halb + Emocar = :|
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: March 24, 2010, 06:12:11 pm
also graphics gale is too close to paint to be outside of anyone's comfort zone! Like you know you choose colors and then you paint with them! But you color select with the right click. And you bring out the marquee/move tool by right-clicking! And that's all you need to actually pixel! ' 3 ';, I don't see what's uncomfortable about it except for .. how it might look or something
It's troublesome if you're used to right click being a second/background color ):

Is there a reason the timing on all the frames is 10cs? Can you not use different numbers?

A timing edit (no edits to the sprites or placement, just changed timings around):

I tried to make the motion have more snap to it, but that caused me to speed it up too, whoops. Anyway, attempted to build anticipation by having short pauses before movements, and then keeping the frames where he's moving between poses rapid (like when he's in the air, before quickly turning into the kick)
I would add a few frames to smooth the movement out, another after the first kick (frame 4) that he would pause one (so frame 4 could be sped up), and one when he's coming down (after 16) so the transition to landing is less abrupt. You should also either change his placement or add a frame before the jump, since he turns in place instantly and the feet swap positions O:

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: March 24, 2010, 06:40:23 pm
Of course it's troublesome, it's annoying in photoshop too in that case. The brain has place for several workflows, believe me, I can use both graphicsgale and photoshop and the right button does different things in both programs ' 3 ' anyways I'll stop ranting about it.
' _ '

Offline jbeave

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: March 24, 2010, 07:12:26 pm
It's troublesome if you're used to right click being a second/background color ):

Is there a reason the timing on all the frames is 10cs? Can you not use different numbers?

A timing edit (no edits to the sprites or placement, just changed timings around):

I tried to make the motion have more snap to it, but that caused me to speed it up too, whoops. Anyway, attempted to build anticipation by having short pauses before movements, and then keeping the frames where he's moving between poses rapid (like when he's in the air, before quickly turning into the kick)
I would add a few frames to smooth the movement out, another after the first kick (frame 4) that he would pause one (so frame 4 could be sped up), and one when he's coming down (after 16) so the transition to landing is less abrupt. You should also either change his placement or add a frame before the jump, since he turns in place instantly and the feet swap positions O:

Yes, I don't know how to do speed up the timing like that with my animation program. I'm using an old program I found years ago when I first started out, it's called Movies 12. Every other animation program I've looked into has not been free, and I'm not going to buy anything for this when there are probably several free alternatives. Can you tell me what you're using to animate with? It would help me out a great deal.

Offline Photocopier

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: March 24, 2010, 07:44:42 pm

Offline jbeave

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: March 24, 2010, 09:14:26 pm
I use: http://www.benetonsoftware.com/Beneton_Movie_GIF.php  :D

Thanks for that, but it made my anti-virus go nuts saying there's a adware/spyware in it. I ignored it and then it recognized a trojan so I'm not going to install that. =/

I'm using Avira, btw.

Here's something new, it's a generic enemy.

I tried a different design for the one holding a gun.

C+C?? Anybody?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 07:01:57 pm by jbeave »

Offline jbeave

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: March 25, 2010, 10:26:37 pm
I went ahead and installed that animation program, I guess it's OK. I have to disable my anti-virus every time I want to use it though. Made a few new animations with it.

The first one, I wanted it similar to a Megaman "buster" gun. I still need to work on the body movement but I wanted C+C on the gun. The other two, I need some advice. I made it's head go down a bit to make it "aim", but I don't exactly know how to implement a "kick-back"..if that makes sense.

Edit: I just noticed I forgot to shade the legs..>_<;
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 10:30:54 pm by jbeave »