AuthorTopic: Palette  (Read 17321 times)

Offline talin

• View Profile

Palette

on: March 11, 2010, 06:37:38 pm
Hello. I just started pixelling, and I'm wondering if there's some place where I can use palettes from?
I'm not sure if it's a good idea to just use someone else's palette without their permission... What is the
common etiquette here? Everything I make looks ugly, since I'm a beginner, but also because I have
problems finding the right colors. With a bit of help with that, I think I can find more motivation.

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Re: Palette

Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 06:44:28 pm
Most artists will probably be fine with you using their palette AS LONG AS YOU GIVE THEM CREDIT, heh. Off the top of my head I can recommend the C64 palette and Arne's palette.

Offline talin

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 06:52:37 pm
Great! I will give that second one a try.

I am currently using Grafx2... but eventually I'll have to animate stuff if I want to make games...
so I'm wondering if there's anything simple and similar to Grafx2 that supports animation?

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 08:05:32 pm

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 06:24:06 pm
Um, what? This is an area of pixel art, and art in general, that i have to step up and DISAGREE!

Why?

On every computer that's ever made, does arne own color 199, 134, 162?
On every pixeling of a flower, does so and so own colors 187, 356, 234 and 155, 256, 121?

No.

So an artist sees a particular game and uses it's palette. He makes some work with same palette. A crit says, nice, but it uses such in such palette so its not his own work. Or it uses this person's palette so it's not his own work. Or it uses this games palette so it's not his own work.

What?

Who owns a part of the color wheel? Who owns any peice of light? Who owns a randomly pulled up set of colors that just happen to look alike so people say, you copied off of so and so so it's not YOUR work.

While it may not be okay to use someone elses work. I don't see a problem with using a specific set of colors.

It is ubsurd, ridiculous, hindering, and down right ego tripping.

My answer is NO. You shouldn't have to give credit. If you make something awesome with a particular set of colors, that's cool with me.

So, in effect, I don't own red, YOU don't own Blue, and ARNE DOESN"T OWN GREEN!!!

No else one should give a care what set of colors you use either. 

And if they do, they should get a reality check.

(i highly doubt I'll get any backing here, siince everyone worships particular artists to the tee, and any hint of territory infringement is pounced upon and silenced. or there made fun of and picked on in some way to have the same effect. which, in my opinion, is downright sad)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 06:35:48 pm
Firstly, you've made a presumption that anything said contrary to your view is immediately ignorant artist-worship and is meant to somehow pick on you.  I'll set that aside right now.  My opinions have nothing to do with my opinions for artists, or as a personal attack on you - but simply my view with some art-theory reasoning.  With that in mind, lets move on.

Nobody owns any singular feature.  Its the combination of many features that make an original composition which should be accredited.

Does youtube own the word "you"?  nope.  or maybe the word "tube"?  nope.   What about a rectangle with rounded corners?  Negative.  But all combined it makes their logo - which certainly is an original creation that should be accredited - and if you don't, you bet you're ass you'll be sued ;)

I figure the same can be said of palettes to some extent.  Its not the individual index that someone worked to create - Its the combination of colors and how well they work together.  With that said, I don't think its nearly as big of a deal, but a major part of pixel art specifically is palette control.  Pixel artists spend a HUGE chunk of their time crafting their palette, and for that reason - some respect should be given for it.

Its courtesy to accredit the original artist.  ..Just don't try to take it to court.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 07:22:16 pm by Indigo »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 07:08:07 pm
Hunter, you're way off base, dude. Indigo already said it - time and effort is spent on fine-tuning a palette. Therefore it is somewhat intellectual property of the creator. Giving credit is obviously a common courtesy. Since when is piggy-backing off of someones else's hard work ok? And then you're not even giving them credit? Feels like you're missing the point, thinking that anyone here is thinking certain colors are owned. We're not talking about singular shades, we're talking about the beautiful end-result that is a good palette. A combo of said colors.

Here, do this. Spend countless hours creating a perfect palette. Consider how to optimize it with a limiting 16 color constraint. Make sure you consider technical color theory and how you might use each shade. I'm not happy until you can justify why you chose every color. When you've got it done, lemme know, I'm going to steal it and use it for all my work thereafter, and not even mention you, so others assume I made it, which is the implication if I don't assign credit to someone else for the palette. If you're ok with that, you either have a self-esteem problem which prevents you from assigning value to your own work or . . . that hat has been pulled down over your eyes for too long (not sure what that means, but is a semi-cynical reference to your podcastinations). If that happened to me, I think first I'd be honored that someone considered my own work good enough to utilize in their own, then I'd be very disappointed they chose not to give me due credit. There's nothing wrong with giving credit. We all pull inspiration from eachothers' work one way or another, anyway.

This isn't meant to be confrontational. And don't get me wrong, your point of view is valuable, as are all here.

Loved the YouTube branding example, Indy, good job on that!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 07:28:37 pm by Mathias »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 08:30:22 pm
(i highly doubt I'll get any backing here, siince everyone worships particular artists to the tee, and any hint of territory infringement is pounced upon and silenced. or there made fun of and picked on in some way to have the same effect. which, in my opinion, is downright sad)

On another note that sort of straw-maning gives me the opportunity to remark on something I've seen happen in Pixelation a lot over the years. Sometimes users come in, especially teenagers but not only, and at first they're really reticent and careful of what they say and not to offend and try to make use of the facilities in Pixelation as best they can. Then they make some friends and generally feel less out of their element, the feeling of safety increases and - this is the strange thing, for me - at that point some of them become really aggressive with voicing their concerns against what they perceive as the unfair status quo or whatever in Pixelation. This happens in a span of 3-6 months. Some of these users selfcombust and leave Pixelation. Some return a few years later and are grounded and pleasant. I don't know if this coincides with puberty and REBEL AGAINST ALL AUTHORITY or what, but it's something to keep in mind.

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 10:40:43 pm
I feel that giving credit or a simple nod is polite. Not saying anything is OK and does not upset me. Asking for permission is a bit on the silly side and quite unnecessary. I would frown if someone actively tried to take credit for having done the palette themselves, especially if it was a larger company. Might even shoot off a passive aggressive email.

And 'my' palette was actually a collaboration. And I believe it was Helm that pushed me to include another green. I guess it's like 35% his. I'm not sure if he wants to negotiate that figure.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 10:44:50 pm by Arne »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 10:44:54 pm
You'll be hearing from our team of lawyers soon.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 10:49:11 pm
"Here, do this. Spend countless hours creating a perfect palette. Consider how to optimize it with a limiting 16 color constraint. Make sure you consider technical color theory and how you might use each shade. I'm not happy until you can justify why you chose every color. When you've got it done, lemme know, I'm going to steal it and use it for all my work thereafter, and not even mention you, so others assume I made it, which is the implication if I don't assign credit to someone else for the palette."

By all means, go right ahead. I would love to see what awesome results you come up with!

"Nobody owns any singular feature."

Exactly!

"Its the combination of many features that make an original composition which should be accredited."

Isn't that the work of the artist that is the result of the original composition? Let's take a look at Jad's avatar for a sec. People loved it so much that they made their own jadatar. Everyone knows that they used his same methods to an extent. So he's thusly accredited. Now, let's do this. Someone downloads his avatar, swaps the colors around, comes up and starts talking about that the avatar he has is his own piece of work. Which it isn't. Would he be punished for such insulence? Yes. Blatant composition ripping is not allowed. The sprite, or work itself, is the end result.

Hyposthesis A: A carpenter makes a table. He sells table, and it sets in someone's house. The house is sold, owners move, table remains. New carpenter comes up, sees table in disrepair, thinks, I can make a bookcast out of that. He does so, cuts it up, makes bookcase sells it. And it sits in someones house. Etc...

Who made the original work here? The first carpenter of course. Should the second carpenter who came along and made something else with it give the original carpenter something in return? If no, why? Becuase the first carpenter already got his due off of it. If the answer is yes, then why? Should every carpenter that ever reworks with those set of boards be obliged to the original artist who created the original end result, a table?

"Indigo already said it - time and effort is spent on fine-tuning a palette. Therefore it is somewhat intellectual property of the creator. Giving credit is obviously a common courtesy."

Again, um what? You here are saying, that even if someone from the other side of the world, creates something that, conicidently, randomly uses the palette of another artist. He has never met artist, never seen his work, never had any contact etc. Makes something with those sets of colors. Posts it, then someone goes, nice palette taken from so and so. The new artist goes, um, what? I've never even heard of that guy. And before you say, it doesn't happen, let me say, yes it does. I've seen it a number of times on this board. No, I might not be able to post exact links, but I have seen cases in the earlier posts in which a new artist is chased off for independently discovering, and using a set of colors that people have atributed to one artist.

Hypothesis B: The united nations holds a contest to see what elementary school student can publish the best short story about space esploration. A deadline is given and students race around the clock come up with something. A student in chile' makes his paper, takes it to school. Unbeknowest to him, while it is sitting on his desk, someone takes a picture of it and sets it up on the web. The student fortunatly turns in his paper without being discriminated against. Next day, student B, in south africa, finishes paper. He has been working on it the whole time. Without any connection to the web, or other services at all. He turns it in, the teacher looks at it a good while. Hands it back to him and says, nice try, that's already been turned in. You do know what the punishment is for plagarism yes? The student goes, um, what? He then makes his case about independant discovery, with the different setting, characters, locations, vehicles, uniqueness, yadda yadda. And with the witness of his parents and freinds, etc, his paper is accepted.

The problem? Student B made the same point as Student A, yet, even though the stories and everything else was different, yet in some degree, similiar, Students B paper was called into question. In both cases, time, effort, energy, fine-tuning were used to create the same point. Yet the results of the entire composition was different. But since Student A was first, every student thereafter must give credit or else be called into question.

That is the reasoning that I have, I think. Whether or not is a resource belongs to someone forever, or are other people allowed to create something freely with the same resources without fear of retribution. If the original composition of the resources, (the table or the paper, the sprite, etc) is taken and claimed upon by someone else without giving credit, is wrong. If someone else however, uses the same set of resources and independently creates a different composition, then should credit be given to someone else who used the same set of resources, on an intirely different composition, be given credit? No.

Hypothesis C: An art school holds a contest to see which of it's students can produce the best work with limited colors. Everyone goes about their process of creation. Student A, a genuine smart mouth, creates a black and white painting. Although, he only does so by splattering white paint on a canvas, and drawing a thin, straight black line across the middle. He turns it in early, ignoring the groans and irritating looks of his peers. Student B, having read the rules already, goes away for a week to finish his peice. He comes back with a black and white painting of a marvelous scene. Student A however, is upset that he too, used black and white, but because he already used black and white, it is his method, and no one else can turn in the same thing. Student A eventually gets Student B banned because of the rules of the competition. He later fails the term, and ends up going to politics.

Was anybody right here? The only person I see being right here, is Student B.

@jad: perhaps those where a poor choice of last words. Though I have seen that before. Apologies if this is thread derailing. (need I post my age everytime I make a post?)

@arne: so you still own those set of colors? Even if someone else independently discovered them on there own and posted a work without ever even been/seen/heard of it before? So in every piece of pixel art ever made, you own those colors? And the artist has to give you credit for it?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 10:56:10 pm
I've seen it a number of times on this board. No, I might not be able to post exact links, but I have seen cases in the earlier posts in which a new artist is chased off for independently discovering, and using a set of colors that people have atributed to one artist.

Links or it didn't happen.

Also keep in mind my position is closer to yours than the oppositions, namely I don't care if someone uses a palette of mine. But that doesn't change that I need to see links.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 11:03:48 pm
just FYI - the likelihood of someone picking the exact same palette with N indexes is 1 in N*(256^3) i believe. (for rgb256)

so for a 16 color palette like arne's:
1 / 268,435,456

Odds are a lot greater than accidentally recreating the mona lisa, but its still not gunna happen.  It may get accidentally close for a small color-count - or maybe close due to socially contrived ideas of colors, but not replicated.

I haven't read through your post because it seems unreadably wrong for such a simple point you're trying to make, but I will come back to it in a bit when I'm not at work.

I don't think many of us have an opinion too different from you're own xhunterko.  Like i said earlier, Its not such a big deal.  its just common courtesy.  If it just so happens that someone picks similar colors - oh well.  not a big deal.  I just recognize there is a good deal of work in palette creation when it comes to pixel-art - probably moreso than other mediums.

This reminds me a bit of people copying really distinctive drum-beats in songs throughout modern music history.  Sometimes people have been credited, sometimes not - but the history is still there.  The song as a whole isn't copied by just taking the drum-beat - but its one piece in a creative whole which had a good amount of work put into it.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 11:12:05 pm by Indigo »

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 12:09:10 am
Yeah, that figure looks about right. Even with certain tolerances we're still dealing with one chance in many millions. Of course, there have been many millions of pieces of art made over the years, but most are not in in 16 colors.

At any rate, it's not a Boolean case. Trying to make it so is fallacious and invites us to either setting some kind of arbitrary threshold or jumping onto the slippery slope where ultimately no credits should not be given for anything. I believe that I have appropriately scaled my expectations to the rather low complexity of the subject we're dealing with here - That is: A, Not demanding credit but enjoy courtesy. B, Frown at Microsoft if they said that they had a bunch of researchers of their own come up with the palette. I don't think that this 'license' is outrageous.

No, I wouldn't try to claim ownership over 1 color. I would claim more ownership more aggressively if we were talking about a little animated 8*8 2bit character, or a logotype using simple geometrical forms, but even those can be kind of gray area, imo.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 12:30:03 am by Arne »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 12:31:19 am
Also let's keep in mind that it's one thing for some kid on the internet to steal something you made and edit it slightly and pass it off as his to pretend his awesome and another to have your shit stolen by a company that makes money off of it. The former while annoying really doesn't mean anything, there's so many people in this world, if you've done any art that's at all prominent on the internet it's bound to be stolen like this and used for social purposes by others. But intellectual property concepts are much more pertinent in the latter cases.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 12:40:33 am
I don't know if this coincides with puberty and REBEL AGAINST ALL AUTHORITY or what, but it's something to keep in mind.

The funny thing is that xhunterko is two years older than you Helm, so I don't get the sudden outburst.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 01:54:17 am
Perhaps it doesn't only have to do with age but also how people integrate into forums/preestablished authority structures.

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 02:36:24 am
To be fair, I thought he was a kid until I saw him in the video. So did you, I think ("when I was your age"). I've seen multiple people make the same mistake, and not without reason.

xhunteroko: Those were not hypotheses, they were analogies. Weak ones at that. You are making one point (a person can't own a palette), and then arguing for something different (it's possible for another person to accidentally make the same or similar palette). The way your argument broke down, is that colors are resources, and thus can't be claimed. But the same argument could be taken a little further, positions of pixels on a grid are resources, and thus can't be claimed. Now the problem is apparent. One pixel means nothing, of course it can't be claimed, but a specific arrangement of them can, because they are not random, they were deliberate.

a randomly pulled up set of colors

This was very distasteful to read. Why would anyone use a randomly pulled up set of colors? They wouldn't, outside of the random color challenge. This statement says to me that you have no idea the difficulty it takes to make a good looking palette, or how much skill is involved, in pixel art or in any media. Your argument that no one can claim a palette agrees.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 04:45:05 pm
Ok, so who's palettes have you been ganking? j/k

Toss me in the pile, I thought xhunter was 13, too. I based that assumption on something usually reliable, though.

K, I read your largish post. Thanks for making a thorough response.

"Here, do this. Spend countless hours creating a perfect palette. Consider how to optimize it with a limiting 16 color constraint. Make sure you consider technical color theory and how you might use each shade. I'm not happy until you can justify why you chose every color. When you've got it done, lemme know, I'm going to steal it and use it for all my work thereafter, and not even mention you, so others assume I made it, which is the implication if I don't assign credit to someone else for the palette."

By all means, go right ahead. I would love to see what awesome results you come up with!

Ok, so that's your opinion. Great. You may keep it. I have a different opinion though, I also will keep it. This might as well be a religious debate; futile.
But, for the record, if you used one of my palettes, I'd also love to see what you came up with, just credit me - you benefited from my hard work - that palette you used was created by me and you used it. Simply because you used it should get it through your head that it has value. A palette can make or break pixel art, and is one of the most important basic building blocks a good pixel art piece is built on.

"Indigo already said it - time and effort is spent on fine-tuning a palette. Therefore it is somewhat intellectual property of the creator. Giving credit is obviously a common courtesy."

Again, um what? You here are saying, that even if someone from the other side of the world, creates something that, conicidently, randomly uses the palette of another artist. He has never met artist, never seen his work, never had any contact etc. Makes something with those sets of colors. Posts it, then someone goes, nice palette taken from so and so. The new artist goes, um, what? I've never even heard of that guy. And before you say, it doesn't happen, let me say, yes it does. I've seen it a number of times on this board. No, I might not be able to post exact links, but I have seen cases in the earlier posts in which a new artist is chased off for independently discovering, and using a set of colors that people have atributed to one artist.

Hypothesis D.8: Coincidence is an entirely different matter! We're not talking about that. So many times I thought I'd come up with something unique, but then a quick web search reveals it's already been done, to my disappointment. Though, if I press on with the idea I don't consider it plagiarism and I don't think I need to give credit, because the idea is mine, even if just an instance of a similar or identical idea by someone else who I wasn't aware of. I'm Student B now. Though, if the original work is well known and my work will be published as well, I should be prepared for the inquiries or accusations - this is when it's may be better judgment to modify the idea sufficiently or do something else.
-BUT-
If that same idea was derived from, or used elements of someone else's work do I not then owe the originator something? Afterall, without the borrowed "assets" my work may not be nearly as good as it is. Like Arne said, it's not a boolean issue, though. In other words, it's not black and white. There are grey areas here. Hence, proper conduct is based on principle.
The principle of citing your sources, inspiration, etc says make your own judgment when you've created something using a preexisting work. Those that don't do this are too concerned with their image. A real artist is humble enough to acknowledge his sources. Is not all art a re-combining of already existing elements anyway?

Just cite your sources. Nobody owns any portion of the color wheel, I agree with you there. But when someone sits down and makes an extraordinary palette they deserve some credit for their work.

FINAL POINT: Historically, scientists down through time have picked up the research of previous scientists in order to further their own work, effectively taking the scientific findings of the previous era and running with it, like runners in a relay race handing off the baton to each other.
Should contemporary scientists ignore or cover up the fact that they're using the proverbial research baton of a bygone era? No, that would be very dishonest and misleading. There's nothing wrong with the fact they're doing it. That's how technology advances. It's a beautiful thing. They should cite their sources, though. Don't be a selfish pig, practice courtesy and honesty in what you do - respect the work of others when you benefit from it.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 06:43:15 pm by Mathias »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 06:03:28 pm
everyone worships particular artists to the tee, and any hint of territory infringement is pounced upon and silenced. or there made fun of and picked on in some way

No.
' _ '

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, 07:41:00 pm
I would also really like to see a post where something like that happened. I for one can not recall any.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, 10:27:40 pm
FINAL POINT: Historically, scientists down through time have picked up the research of previous scientists in order to further their own work, effectively taking the scientific findings of the previous era and running with it, like runners in a relay race handing off the baton to each other.
Should contemporary scientists ignore or cover up the fact that they're using the proverbial research baton of a bygone era? No, that would be very dishonest and misleading. There's nothing wrong with the fact they're doing it. That's how technology advances. It's a beautiful thing. They should cite their sources, though. Don't be a selfish pig, practice courtesy and honesty in what you do - respect the work of others when you benefit from it.

You said it :) IMO the comparison to science is almost exactly right. A palette is a significant component of a finished image, though by itself it's nothing terribly remarkable. Just as there are plenty of unremarkable scientific studies, the results of which have been built on to create remarkable new advances. eg shape preserving 2d/3d mesh warping (The results are nothing short of awesome. Implementing this in GIMP is currently being considered as a possible Google Summer of Code project)

This is not a matter of intellectual property (the entire concept is deceptive wankery, and creates the problems it is supposed to solve (eg. as in independent simultaneous creation of a near-identical work)), just a matter of common courtesy

(that said, I'd rather see a palette I made used, even without credit, rather than simply bit-rotting, never being used again)

Quote from: Indigo
just FYI - the likelihood of someone picking the exact same palette with N indexes is 1 in N*(256^3) i believe. (for rgb256)

so for a 16 color palette like arne's:
1 / 268,435,456

Your figures are WAAY off.
you would only distinguish that fine color differences if the palette was very large (256 entries is about the minimum palette size you could specify 256 levels of intensity as meaningful for); colour perception is relative. Except in such circumstances, 64 levels of intensity is closer the mark for colors we can distinguish somewhat readily. As the overall size of the palette drops, so does the amount of precision required to describe it.
So a 16-color palette, like Arne's, could have anything between 16*(16^3) [65536] to 16*(32^3)[524288] to 16*(64^3) [4194304, which is still 64 times smaller than the value you gave] . The exact precision would depend on the particular context the palette was being applied in. For Arne's palette, I would bet on 32 being about the right number of intensity levels.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #22 on: March 31, 2010, 10:38:32 pm
the likelihood of someone picking the exact same palette with N indexes

I was speaking of actual RGB value numbers.  If you're saying the human perception of said colors is much less than 256 for each color component - well that's a whole other story and you may be right, but the figures are still spot-on.  I will say though that your notion that the human eye can only distinguish between 64 levels of intensities per color component (thus only 262,144 different colors total)  is absurdly low.  Studies have shown the eye to be able to distinguish between millions of colors - making that closer to 8bit (256 levels) intensity per color component
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 10:51:59 pm by Indigo »

Offline Ai

• finti
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: March 31, 2010, 11:08:10 pm
the likelihood of someone picking the exact same palette with N indexes

I was speaking of actual RGB value numbers.  If you're saying the human perception of said colors is much less than 256 for each color component - well that's a whole other story and you may be right, but the figures are still spot-on.  I will say though that your notion that the human eye can only distinguish between 64 levels of intensities per color component (thus only 262,144 different colors total)  is absurdly low.  
I don't hold such a notion.
The human eye doesn't have a exact fixed number of colors it can perceive,
it works comparitively and adaptively. What precision meaningfully describes the colors in a palette (for purposes of comparing palettes) depends on the exact colors it contains and their relation to each other.

Studies have shown the eye to be able to distinguish between millions of colors - making that closer to 8bit (256 levels) intensity per color component

That's (sort of) right, but they are only perceivable comparitively.
That is.. if you put a patch of 224,255,245 on one side of the screen,
and a patch of 225,255,246 on the other side of the screen, with a large gap in between, you are not going to manage to distinguish between them (or you may judge the difference between them in a wrong way), whereas if they are placed next to each other you might well manage to distinguish between them.

David Briggs' http://www.huevaluechroma.com/ shows some examples.
http://www.huevaluechroma.com/034.php
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: April 01, 2010, 01:16:41 am
Furthermore, I have  a simple question to pose.

Did arne put a copyright on his palette when he created it?

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: April 01, 2010, 01:57:55 am

Dude its just nice to you know, give credit where its due, I don't think Arne is going to sue over colors or anything but technically he did create the specific palette you see before you, why do you keep arguing anyway? Its just a palette, come on. Also as for Helm's observation, yeah I used to be a bit of a punk, glad to know I'm not the ONLY one, but I'm guessing one of the reasons is because of how the forum rules are, pretty set in stone stuff, barely any looseness around them, but I guess you gotta be strict with rules (like angry reactions to someone being a gigantic prick can still be counted as a strike, how nice of you) or else you start losing power.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #26 on: April 01, 2010, 02:12:07 am
Furthermore, I have  a simple question to pose. Did arne put a copyright on his palette when he created it?

I haven't put a copyright in anything I've drawn either. Yet ripping me off is considered tasteless, even if it's not technically illegal (some copyright is implicit but that depends anyway I don't want to argue legalese)

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: April 01, 2010, 02:20:50 am
"like angry reactions to someone being a gigantic prick can still be counted as a strike, how nice of you)"

Since when has been arguing for the freedom for people to use whichever set of colors without fear been considered being a gigantic prick?

That's all I'm saying. If somebody wants to make something, then they should be able to. Without fear of question.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: April 01, 2010, 02:28:21 am
"like angry reactions to someone being a gigantic prick can still be counted as a strike, how nice of you)"

Since when has been arguing for the freedom for people to use whichever set of colors without fear been considered being a gigantic prick?

That's all I'm saying. If somebody wants to make something, then they should be able to. Without fear of question.
Wait what that was a completely different sentence with a completely different topic you mis-interpreted my post.

Also the question isn't if someone wants to make anything they should, its when someone makes something, is it (legally and/or morally) right for someone to just take without due credit?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 02:32:11 am by bengoshia »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #29 on: April 01, 2010, 03:25:54 am

Is this really how you see what you're doing?

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #30 on: April 01, 2010, 03:56:19 am
"Is this really how you see what you're doing?"

I see that this has gotten nowhere.

Why fight against something that you see as wrong is already the pre-established authority?

Apologies to any who may have been offended by this discussion.

@jad: Perhaps I was thinking of something else entirely. I can see why the lack of instances may be taken as lack of proof. That was poor judgement and misconception on my part. I was thinking of cavestory at the time. So maybe I was thinking of those related threads instead. My bad.

"A real artist is humble enough to acknowledge his sources. Is not all art a re-combining of already existing elements anyway?"
One more point. Conversly, the artist who sees that his work has created inspiration, should be humble enough not to demand acknowledgement.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: April 01, 2010, 04:27:07 am

In most countries, in most situations, copyright is automatic. Formally 'copyrighting' something is really about establishing a stronger standard of proof that you created the artefact you are claiming copyright to.

the artist who sees that his work has created inspiration, should be humble enough not to demand acknowledgement.

Why *should* they be humble enough not to demand acknowledgement? Acknowledgement is generally a social good, not only for the source but the user, and it's their choice what terms creators release their work under; the morality of that choice is contextual like most things, not universal.
The only situation in which crediting your sources would reasonably be considered onerous is if you have dozens of them (this is very unusual, for a single artwork)

It seems to me you are arguing that you should be allowed to behave irresponsibly with other people's creations (as opposed to what you seem to think that you are arguing for, which in my observation is, to do your own thing and create your own art without being harrassed about sources and crediting. Which is a very ordinary thing and happens on pixelation constantly,)

Offline tetsuya_shino

• Yokosuka, Japan
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: April 02, 2010, 03:19:18 pm
@xhunterko: Dude. I normally don't even come here,.. but when you post this topic here and at the other forum, I have to say something.
 Can someone own a palette? Sure. Does that mean he owns the colors? No, not really. But by having a collection of hand selected colors, something tangible is created. It's kinda like pixel art in a way. No one owns a single dot. But if someone were to put them in a pattern, their own pixel art is created from those dots. If you are going to use someone's palette, what's the harm in shooting that guy an email frist? Because either way, people in the know would know.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #33 on: April 02, 2010, 04:04:11 pm
It seems to me to be less an issue of who owns what, and more an issue of honesty. By not even acknowledging that you used someone elses palette you make people assume you created it yourself, which is downright decieving - to yourself as an artist and to others as your critics. There must have been a reason you used that specific palette, rather than to create your own. If you create your own, and it seems to others very similar to something someone else also created, you can honestly state that you didn't know, and no harm is done. You could talk to the person who created the similar palette on their own, and discuss which is better or how either could be improved.

The idea that you should be able to use other people's palettes is held by all here as acceptable, but the fact is you should be aware to yourself and make it aware to others that you didn't put the effort into creating it.

Offline tetsuya_shino

• Yokosuka, Japan
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: April 02, 2010, 04:32:10 pm
Nah, sorry. While the issue of honesty is a vaild one (and I agree with you), ownership of a palette was the point  xhunterko was trying to make.  :)

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #35 on: April 02, 2010, 04:49:55 pm
Nah, sorry. While the issue of honesty is a vaild one (and I agree with you), ownership of a palette was the point  xhunterko was trying to make.  :)

What i'm trying to say is that the issue with ownership of a palette is redundant when you consider simply being modest and truthful.

Offline tetsuya_shino

• Yokosuka, Japan
    • View Profile

Reply #36 on: April 02, 2010, 04:53:59 pm
Hey, I'm just trying to stay on topic, boss. :y:

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: April 02, 2010, 07:01:27 pm
What i'm trying to say is that the issue with ownership of a palette is redundant when you consider simply being modest and truthful.
I wouldn't say that it's redundant, because you must assume that you can indeed own palettes for it to be an act of dishonesty not to cite them. I'd consider your argument more of an expansion of Tetsuya's, listing the reasons why we acknowledge where we get the palettes we don't create, not just that we do. It becomes a grounded viewpoint, not just a "because I said so" one.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #38 on: April 02, 2010, 07:43:09 pm
To me, it's about tradition. Pixelation's goal might change, but the roots won't.

Rule #1 has always been: don't be an ass
Rule #2 has always been: be honest, mention influences and references to help the critique process

Our whole community has been built over many years on these values. It's what Pixelation is about. To come in as a very new member and go against the grain is just not going to work.

Are you ever going to get sued for stealing a palette? No
Is there even legal grounds here? No, palettes don't have legal or copyright value

Is it acceptable here on Pixelation to just go and rip other people's palettes without acknowledging it? NO, and it will never be

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: April 02, 2010, 08:28:46 pm
Rules #1: So, no one can never make a black and white avatar without crediting you first? Since black and white is your palette?
Rule #2: So from now on, for every piece of pixel art ever made. Your going to take an eyedropper and make sure that no one's palette ownership is being infringed upon?

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #40 on: April 02, 2010, 08:35:39 pm
this is getting just silly xhunterko.

1 - no, you've missed the point entirely in regards to his avatar - and I think you know this.  Black and white is no-one's palette.  It can't be accredited to anyone.  Its the equivalent of public domain.  Its a silly argument.

2 - It is no one's job to do this, and you've missed the point entirely again.  People should cite their sources on their *own* good moral standards.  If somebody rips a piece of art, is it someone's job to check every post and cross reference it with every image known to man? no.  People can do it if they want to, and they have.  But it's no one's job.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: April 02, 2010, 08:41:20 pm
" Its the equivalent of public domain"

And every other color isn't?

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #42 on: April 02, 2010, 08:53:29 pm
have you not read any of our points?  we all agree that any individual color cannot be "owned."  But the more indexes you add, the more it becomes an original piece of work - one that is exponentially less likely to be accidentally copied.  Pure black and white has been used by nearly everyone in the world.  The presence or absence of light.  Because of this world-wide acceptance of these specific colors, it cannot be accredited to anyone.

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #43 on: April 02, 2010, 09:14:38 pm
For whatever reason, plagiarism is major taboo in art circles. Getting caught lifting something verbatim can ruin your reputation overnight, so it pays to be safe and always give credit where credit is due, and even give credit when your not sure it's due. All it takes is a single sentence or two to site your sources, so you might as well.

On a related note, companies license colors from Pantone for their logos and sue other companies who use similar colors, whether they intentionally stole the color or not. Pantone basically owns a big-ass color palette and enforces it through trademark litigation.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #44 on: April 02, 2010, 09:17:42 pm
xhunterco is trolling now. I don't mean malevolent trolling like to rile people up or to insult them directly but just attention attention attention trolling. It's not doing the argument or his position any good and I think it's pretty much the right time to lock the thread. I'll let another mod in the case they agree with me do the lockup since I was involved in the debate myself. If they don't agree just let it run.