AuthorTopic: Palette  (Read 17186 times)

Offline talin

• View Profile

Palette

on: March 11, 2010, 06:37:38 pm
Hello. I just started pixelling, and I'm wondering if there's some place where I can use palettes from?
I'm not sure if it's a good idea to just use someone else's palette without their permission... What is the
common etiquette here? Everything I make looks ugly, since I'm a beginner, but also because I have
problems finding the right colors. With a bit of help with that, I think I can find more motivation.

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Re: Palette

Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 06:44:28 pm
Most artists will probably be fine with you using their palette AS LONG AS YOU GIVE THEM CREDIT, heh. Off the top of my head I can recommend the C64 palette and Arne's palette.

Offline talin

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 06:52:37 pm
Great! I will give that second one a try.

I am currently using Grafx2... but eventually I'll have to animate stuff if I want to make games...
so I'm wondering if there's anything simple and similar to Grafx2 that supports animation?

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 08:05:32 pm

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 06:24:06 pm
Um, what? This is an area of pixel art, and art in general, that i have to step up and DISAGREE!

Why?

On every computer that's ever made, does arne own color 199, 134, 162?
On every pixeling of a flower, does so and so own colors 187, 356, 234 and 155, 256, 121?

No.

So an artist sees a particular game and uses it's palette. He makes some work with same palette. A crit says, nice, but it uses such in such palette so its not his own work. Or it uses this person's palette so it's not his own work. Or it uses this games palette so it's not his own work.

What?

Who owns a part of the color wheel? Who owns any peice of light? Who owns a randomly pulled up set of colors that just happen to look alike so people say, you copied off of so and so so it's not YOUR work.

While it may not be okay to use someone elses work. I don't see a problem with using a specific set of colors.

It is ubsurd, ridiculous, hindering, and down right ego tripping.

My answer is NO. You shouldn't have to give credit. If you make something awesome with a particular set of colors, that's cool with me.

So, in effect, I don't own red, YOU don't own Blue, and ARNE DOESN"T OWN GREEN!!!

No else one should give a care what set of colors you use either. 

And if they do, they should get a reality check.

(i highly doubt I'll get any backing here, siince everyone worships particular artists to the tee, and any hint of territory infringement is pounced upon and silenced. or there made fun of and picked on in some way to have the same effect. which, in my opinion, is downright sad)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 06:35:48 pm
Firstly, you've made a presumption that anything said contrary to your view is immediately ignorant artist-worship and is meant to somehow pick on you.  I'll set that aside right now.  My opinions have nothing to do with my opinions for artists, or as a personal attack on you - but simply my view with some art-theory reasoning.  With that in mind, lets move on.

Nobody owns any singular feature.  Its the combination of many features that make an original composition which should be accredited.

Does youtube own the word "you"?  nope.  or maybe the word "tube"?  nope.   What about a rectangle with rounded corners?  Negative.  But all combined it makes their logo - which certainly is an original creation that should be accredited - and if you don't, you bet you're ass you'll be sued ;)

I figure the same can be said of palettes to some extent.  Its not the individual index that someone worked to create - Its the combination of colors and how well they work together.  With that said, I don't think its nearly as big of a deal, but a major part of pixel art specifically is palette control.  Pixel artists spend a HUGE chunk of their time crafting their palette, and for that reason - some respect should be given for it.

Its courtesy to accredit the original artist.  ..Just don't try to take it to court.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 07:22:16 pm by Indigo »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 07:08:07 pm
Hunter, you're way off base, dude. Indigo already said it - time and effort is spent on fine-tuning a palette. Therefore it is somewhat intellectual property of the creator. Giving credit is obviously a common courtesy. Since when is piggy-backing off of someones else's hard work ok? And then you're not even giving them credit? Feels like you're missing the point, thinking that anyone here is thinking certain colors are owned. We're not talking about singular shades, we're talking about the beautiful end-result that is a good palette. A combo of said colors.

Here, do this. Spend countless hours creating a perfect palette. Consider how to optimize it with a limiting 16 color constraint. Make sure you consider technical color theory and how you might use each shade. I'm not happy until you can justify why you chose every color. When you've got it done, lemme know, I'm going to steal it and use it for all my work thereafter, and not even mention you, so others assume I made it, which is the implication if I don't assign credit to someone else for the palette. If you're ok with that, you either have a self-esteem problem which prevents you from assigning value to your own work or . . . that hat has been pulled down over your eyes for too long (not sure what that means, but is a semi-cynical reference to your podcastinations). If that happened to me, I think first I'd be honored that someone considered my own work good enough to utilize in their own, then I'd be very disappointed they chose not to give me due credit. There's nothing wrong with giving credit. We all pull inspiration from eachothers' work one way or another, anyway.

This isn't meant to be confrontational. And don't get me wrong, your point of view is valuable, as are all here.

Loved the YouTube branding example, Indy, good job on that!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 07:28:37 pm by Mathias »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 08:30:22 pm
(i highly doubt I'll get any backing here, siince everyone worships particular artists to the tee, and any hint of territory infringement is pounced upon and silenced. or there made fun of and picked on in some way to have the same effect. which, in my opinion, is downright sad)

On another note that sort of straw-maning gives me the opportunity to remark on something I've seen happen in Pixelation a lot over the years. Sometimes users come in, especially teenagers but not only, and at first they're really reticent and careful of what they say and not to offend and try to make use of the facilities in Pixelation as best they can. Then they make some friends and generally feel less out of their element, the feeling of safety increases and - this is the strange thing, for me - at that point some of them become really aggressive with voicing their concerns against what they perceive as the unfair status quo or whatever in Pixelation. This happens in a span of 3-6 months. Some of these users selfcombust and leave Pixelation. Some return a few years later and are grounded and pleasant. I don't know if this coincides with puberty and REBEL AGAINST ALL AUTHORITY or what, but it's something to keep in mind.

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 10:40:43 pm
I feel that giving credit or a simple nod is polite. Not saying anything is OK and does not upset me. Asking for permission is a bit on the silly side and quite unnecessary. I would frown if someone actively tried to take credit for having done the palette themselves, especially if it was a larger company. Might even shoot off a passive aggressive email.

And 'my' palette was actually a collaboration. And I believe it was Helm that pushed me to include another green. I guess it's like 35% his. I'm not sure if he wants to negotiate that figure.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 10:44:50 pm by Arne »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 10:44:54 pm
You'll be hearing from our team of lawyers soon.