AuthorTopic: [WIP] Avatar  (Read 4945 times)

Offline freespyryt

• View Profile

[WIP] Avatar

on: March 11, 2010, 03:37:35 am
Sooo this is most DEFINITELY a work in progress. I'm going from a hand drawn picture (which i'll post as soon as I get to a scanner) and I'm just trying to make a girl wearing a hoodie. This is totally a new style for me (well, any is really since I'm new to this whole thing) so I need some input. Her nose is the main thing I'm not very happy with on the face..and the lips I guess too. Also, the shading on the sweatshirt...I'm not sure how to do it without it looking like embroidery. Just generally any advice would be extremely useful. Thanks so much!

EDIT:
Latest:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 05:39:16 am by freespyryt »

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Avatar

Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 12:05:02 pm
I think you need to refer back to your old thread and look at the edits there. This piece is missing everything your other one has, which means when you saw the edits you didn't really think of the grounds that were built on them, just went 'okay' and copied (not LITERALLY). I suggest you learn the fundamentals of art, this is missing form among other things. I suggest looking for the e-book by Andrew Loomis, Fun With A Pencil and I also suggest picking up pencil and paper and drawing from life.

Offline freespyryt

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 08:54:14 pm
UPDATE!
Okay so I realize my last one essentially looked awful, so I edited it a bunch. I did try to use my old thread as guidance for this. I'm much better on pencil and paper than I am with pixel art, so transferring the idea from paper to pixels was much harder than I'd considered it would be. So..
Update:
I worked a lot on shading and changing the hair shape..although I'm not totally satisfied with the shading of the shirt.
Any further critique would be much appreciated!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 08:56:28 pm by freespyryt »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 12:13:06 am
You are drawing outlines and then filling their insides with shading, changing the shading depending on what direction the light comes from - but not really building shapes from it, and not really taking contrast into consideration, thus getting a flat result

<3

I grayscale:d your image and just went wild with BLOBBING to create form - from there you could basically just flood fill in the colors you want since there's such little colors in here.

Contrast is STILL too low on laptop screen, but it looked fine on my ART screen ' _ '; go figure.

I'll help with anything you ask about so please do!

also - boobies looked weird - don't draw the shirt as if it wrapped around the poor boobies, but give them some happy space inside of the shirt. That's all!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 12:14:39 am by Jad »
' _ '

Offline freespyryt

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 02:24:20 am
Can I just say you saved my life? That edit was AMAZING and there was a lot for me to learn. I was able to extrapolate a lot of information and put it to good use in my copy. Any more advice is more than welcome. And you were right about the boobs--definitely needing more freeing. I cannot thank you enough for the edit and the help...that was amazing. Thank you!
Update:

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 02:42:18 am
Yes but did you learn what the edit offers by referencing off of it? I do not begrudge you your progress (actually the opposite, it is inspiring) but the next time you sit down to draw a different girl, will you be having the same initial problems? That's why editing will not help all the time, there needs to be systematic effort put into learning to draw well.

Offline freespyryt

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 03:01:28 am
You're right--there is a danger with looking at edits to change a picture. The reason, however, that this was so helpful is that I honestly had no picture to go off of aside from a hand drawn drawing and it was my first time doing anything in this style. In the future I'll be able to apply what I learned to other drawings. I suppose the reason I found it so helpful is that my other character was tiny, so the level of detail I used there was much different. It's often a work in progress for me--I'll probably always start out with a pretty boring beginning, but I'll be able to move to my current end more easily. My boyfriend actually asked me the same questions you did, Helm. And it is hard to know, but I think this was a lesson in techniques that were completely new to me that I will be able to apply in the future. Thank you, again.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 03:07:30 am
Needs more contrast, particularly stronger shadow.

Examine the face, especially.

Dither-painted because I was too lazy to make a new colour  :o

Yes but did you learn what the edit offers by referencing off of it? I do not begrudge you your progress (actually the opposite, it is inspiring) but the next time you sit down to draw a different girl, will you be having the same initial problems? That's why editing will not help all the time, there needs to be systematic effort put into learning to draw well.

Agreed. I really recommend getting yourself a book on drawing, particularly figure drawing, and work through that alongside gaining critique here. This will help you process your feedback a lot more. You need to understand value and form.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 03:09:41 am by EyeCraft »

Offline freespyryt

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 04:17:25 am
Thanks for the advice on contrasting--my boyfriend agreed that it looked kind of washed out. I didn't add any more colors, but I did up the contrast to see if it made any difference,so we'll see what needs more changing!
Also, I already have art books that I'm working on...I can draw a lot better on paper than with pixels. It's just a different feeling for me. Anyways, here's the edit.

New update:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 04:40:22 am by freespyryt »

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 06:18:45 am
You're right--there is a danger with looking at edits to change a picture. The reason, however, that this was so helpful is that I honestly had no picture to go off of aside from a hand drawn drawing and it was my first time doing anything in this style. In the future I'll be able to apply what I learned to other drawings. I suppose the reason I found it so helpful is that my other character was tiny, so the level of detail I used there was much different. It's often a work in progress for me--I'll probably always start out with a pretty boring beginning, but I'll be able to move to my current end more easily. My boyfriend actually asked me the same questions you did, Helm. And it is hard to know, but I think this was a lesson in techniques that were completely new to me that I will be able to apply in the future. Thank you, again.
Please don't use that word, its not style if every choice you make isn't a conscience decision, you're at your limits when you're doing this, not the other way around. If we were to break this down as a style as well, there's a lot of things that aren't exactly aesthetically pleasing about it(Not to say theres not a lot of potential in this piece), you need to learn the rules to break them. So I'll re-iterate what I and others have said, you really need to get down and study harder and utilize those said art books, I'm sure we all want to see you get better. But this tends to fall on deaf ears, so whatever you do is your choice to make, obviously. I wish you luck on your endeavors.

Offline freespyryt

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 09:05:35 pm
I'm sorry for the misuse of the word. I was mostly just saying I haven't tried to make anything like a portrait before, I've only done the sprite in my other post so this was entirely new to me. I took the advice of all and looked at a couple drawing and anatomy books. I haven't edited her yet, but I've got some new ideas. This is definitely a learning experience that has been invaluable for what I've been working on since. Thanks all for your input, further would be helpful of course.