AuthorTopic: GR#028 - Greenery - Sprite Process  (Read 19493 times)

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

GR#028 - Greenery - Sprite Process

on: March 09, 2010, 04:51:48 am

Been feeling like I've need a new avatar for ages, but was very dry on ideas. All I knew was that I wanted a figure and it to be something reflective. Ended up sketching this, and I like it. Based off Arne's palette... because I just cant get away from it lately   :yell:

This have proven a bit of a challenge after spending a fair bit of time on tiny, tiny sprites. Trying to get the shading and anatomy sensible. C&C appreciated  :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 05:49:31 am by EyeCraft »

Offline Bkeegan

• View Profile
    • FrozenOrange

Re: Greenery

Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 04:54:52 am
Fantastic mate! your stuff blows me away.
Images posted under this account are property of Frozen Orange, inc unless stated otherwise

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 05:41:59 am
You might be fudging up some of the planes of the head, understandable since it's made of rock but really I just wanted to say that this is a solid, beautiful piece of pixel.

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 07:06:16 am
The "hillshoulder" looks a bit weird with the fact that it looks like you just threw it there.
The vegetation of the head doesn't fit with the vegetation on the shoulder.

Other than that, it's pretty to look at.
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 08:54:33 am
Thanks guys!  :D

You might be fudging up some of the planes of the head, understandable since it's made of rock but really I just wanted to say that this is a solid, beautiful piece of pixel.
Yeah I was having trouble working out the planes somewhat, mainly because I haven't worked much from this angle of the head. Need to do more study, I guess. D:

The "hillshoulder" looks a bit weird with the fact that it looks like you just threw it there.
The vegetation of the head doesn't fit with the vegetation on the shoulder.

Other than that, it's pretty to look at.

Hmm, damn. It's true I didn't really do any construction on the piece, I was just sort of working from my own mental model of the form as I went. I guess I should try a construction over the top of it and see what "should" be happening there. I also exaggerated the line a little to emphasise the pose, so maybe that's pushed it a little out of what reads as sensible.

As for the vegetation; I was trying to get different kinds of things going on, mainly lush grass on the crown, and a kind of mossiness going on around the neck. I guess I kind of ended up in between the two with the shoulder, I'll play around there and see what I come up with.

Offline MadHatter

• im nipples the enchilada
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 01:30:31 am
Wow, this is absolutely stunning.

one thing i would suggest is making the vegetation more realistic, which I'm sure you can do.

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 11:17:08 am
Firstly, I really like this. Very cool concept and execution.

The only thing I'll say is that I didn't see that the rock was humanoid at first. Once I zoomed in then it popped out. I think this was because of the texture of the rocks on the neck, they immediately drew my eyes, then they went to the little antelope. I think the problem is that dark area at the space between neck and head.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 02:44:03 pm

This is bad critique as I didn't look at any actual model references (will make a 3d model assume the position later perhaps) but the point is you've paid too much attention to head and not enough on how the shoulders should support it I think. Otherwise really beautiful.

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 12:19:35 am

This is bad critique as I didn't look at any actual model references (will make a 3d model assume the position later perhaps) but the point is you've paid too much attention to head and not enough on how the shoulders should support it I think. Otherwise really beautiful.

I think that completely ruins the effect

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 12:28:25 am
I think that completely ruins the effect
What do you mean man? It looks fine to me.